Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
& Sawyer's & Quinn's too!
2,740 Posts
Me too - Whenever we are playing with Sophie - throwing the ball, running, etc. - and she goes to get a drink, I want to stop her! Very scary stuff.....

·
& Golden Roxy And Roo To
2,023 Posts
These boards are just the best!
Daisy will be ok....try not to be too stressed. Sending positive calming thoughts her way.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Daisy had minor surgery this morning (ear hematoma). I'm so scared of the water when I bring her home. I'm giving her only 1/2 cup every 1/2 hour, and I won't be breathing :eek:

I'm not at all concerned about food or raised or unraised dishes ... it's the water that terrifies me.
Jo,
Good thoughts for a speedy and uneventful recovery for Daisy. Having just pulled Rusty thru a bloat episode and subsequent surgery to tack the stomach, I know how scared you are. Rusty is 10 days post op, I watch him like a hawk. He is doing well, but I am realizing now how very close we came to losing him. If I hadn't made the decision at six in the morning to rush him to the ER vet, we would have. I never want to see a case of bloat again.

Donna

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Jo, I can imagine how you feel. Just remember, she feeds off your stress and emotions, so do the best you can of living in the thankful moment along with Daisy.

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
I'm doing okay, Betty, thanks. She's sleeping, I'm working, she has no idea how I really feel. I'll give her a little bit more water in a few minutes. I was prepared for somewhat of this stress, just remembering what happened before, but it's a lot worse than I thought it would be.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
OMG Jo Ellen! I can certainly understand your stress! What you went through with Daisy was no cake walk for sure!!!! Gentle hugs for our sweet girl please!

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
As far as causes of bloat, it's usually because the stomach becomes too full and the contents can't be expelled. Air is the biggest culprit. Even in cases where drinking too much water triggered it, it's probably the air that got gulped with the water that's the problem.

Dogs have to be predisposed to develop it. There are some breeds that simply can't because of the way they're built. There's also a surgery they can do now where they tack the stomach in place, so if a dog is a repeated bloater, they can help prevent it in the future.

The most key sign is nonproductive vomiting. If a dog vomits more than a couple of times, and if nothing's coming up, head straight to the vet. If the dog is vomiting food or bile, a trip to the vet may be necessary if it's happing over and over, but it's not bloat if what's coming up has food or bile in it.
I have a stupid question: My guys burp a lot...Noah deserves an award for his ability to out burp certain family members. It's not all the time, but when he burps you know it. I always thought because he is a burper - that was a good sign as he can get the air out...is this backward thinking?

·
Piper's Assistant
257 Posts
my dog also burps

Piper does something, like a burp, almost every morning either while he's eating or within five minutes or so of finishing. The first time I heard him do it, I thought surely he's not burping. I've had dogs all of my life and never knew a dog could burp (if that is what is really happening).

He doesn't seem to react when he does it, no indication that he's uncomfortable in any way. He'll look directly at me and burp !

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Cody burps after every meal. I think it's his way of passing his kudos to the cook. lol And not to mention a very boy thing to do !

·
Dog Lover
42,036 Posts
Penny & Maggie's Mom

Penny and Maggie's Mom

Thank you so much for posting this BLOAT CHART and everyone should look at it and get your dog to a vet IMMEDIATELY if you suspect bloat!!

http://bouviers.net/dogblog/files/bloatchart.pdf

P.S. FOR US SIGNS were: Snobear was trying to throw up and poop at same time but nothing was coming out, he seemed ancy and anxious and was pacing and finally he just laid down exhausted. We checked his gums and they were VERY PALE, ALMOST WHITE!
Snobear had BLOAT!!

·
Curator of the Coy Zoo
769 Posts
I was sent a link to a youtube video of an Akita that was experiencing bloat. Its hard to watch, but I feel a lot better prepared (the dog survived!!).

not sure how to add the link, but the website is

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
Why are they videotaping this and not rushing this dog to a vet. I don't understand. This is easily a fatal condition, not to mention extremely painful. I don't understand.

sdain, you will know if your dog bloats, you will know immediately if you are watching. It's really quite unmistakable, you know something is dreadfully wrong and there's only one thing to do ... get to the vet as quickly as you can.

:(

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Why are they videotaping this and not rushing this dog to a vet. I don't understand. This is easily a fatal condition, not to mention extremely painful. I don't understand.

sdain, you will know if your dog bloats, you will know immediately if you are watching. It's really quite unmistakable, you know something is dreadfully wrong and there's only one thing to do ... get to the vet as quickly as you can.

:(
I agree with you, Jo Ellen. Having almost lost my Rusty almost two years ago to bloat, it is an awful thing to see, and minutes count if you are to save the dog. Having seen bloat in person I could not bring myself to watch the video clip. The images of Rusty and what he went thru are still too fresh in my mind.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,057 Posts
Having lost my beautiful Phoenix to bloat almost 3 years ago, I just want to reiterate...if you see a symptom even remotely resembling bloat...get your dog to the vet. It could mean life or death. It is not something you want to experience.

A few months ago, I noticed Austin standing still with his head down...he was clearly uncomfortable. I called the vet right away and told her I was bringing him in. After learning I had already lost one Golden to bloat, she was great. She did everything possible to ease my mind that Austin wasn't bloating.....he had a belly ache. Yes I am severely paranoid!!

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
A few months ago, I noticed Austin standing still with his head down...he was clearly uncomfortable. I called the vet right away and told her I was bringing him in. After learning I had already lost one Golden to bloat, she was great. She did everything possible to ease my mind that Austin wasn't bloating.....he had a belly ache. Yes I am severely paranoid!!
I understand this. We never fully recover, do we. {{hugs}} for you, Laurie, and always tender thoughts for Phoenix.

·
Forever owned by 3As'
73 Posts
COuld someone kindly educate me on this..
One of my goldies will bow and stretch after is meal then go down and start scratching his face and lick his legs.. is this a sign or symptom of bloat?
My other girl will burp after her meal.
I'm constantly worried and wonder if I should rush them in. I watch them after that and limit water before and after a meal. But does bloat only happen after a meal? Somewhere said it could happen anytime with water, and when I'm not home, and nobody else is, this is so scary.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
I have noticed the link no longer works in this sticky. I found the chart a few other places though.

This site still has the PDF to print out: Bloat

This one has the .JPG shown below: This Post Could Save a Dog’s Life… GDV Bloat | Your Premier Source for Dog Show Reporting

COuld someone kindly educate me on this..
One of my goldies will bow and stretch after is meal then go down and start scratching his face and lick his legs.. is this a sign or symptom of bloat?
My other girl will burp after her meal.
I'm constantly worried and wonder if I should rush them in. I watch them after that and limit water before and after a meal. But does bloat only happen after a meal? Somewhere said it could happen anytime with water, and when I'm not home, and nobody else is, this is so scary.
Sounds like they are exhibiting normal dog behavior in my opinion Puppatoos.

Here is a link for you to read up on.

Bloat in Dogs

This has one persons comments on the Purdue bloat study mentioned in the above link.

Purdue Bloat Study | GREATDANELADY.COM

41 - 60 of 73 Posts