Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Can't remember if this was posted before, but with Snobear bloating just a few days ago, it's been on my mind. I would suggest printing it and having it handy for review.

Also, mods might want to make it a sticky.

Here is the new link-

http://www.bmd.org/bmdcr/bloat_chart.pdf

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Ive never seen this chart!
Thank you Betty!

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
This is so important. I'm reading it and I'm just sick to my stomach, it takes me back to last year like it was yesterday. Daisy was in Phase 1 (3 times!) but even that was terrifying.

Sticky, absolutely. This is stuff every dog owner needs to know BEFORE it happens.

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
Maybe this sounds stupid, but how does a dog get bloat?
Million dollar question. You'll get lots of answers on that, some controversial.

I can tell you what caused Daisy's bloat. I had just brought her home from the vet after her ACL surgery. She was fine by all outward appearances. I set down a bowl of water for her and she drank. It didn't seem to me like she drank a lot, she's certainly drank that much water before, and since ... but for her condition at the time, it was too much too fast and she immediately developed bloat. She was most likely stressed from the surgery (physiologically), excited to be home, and thirsty but I didn't know enough at the time to know how vulnerable she was.

I sound like a broken record sometimes when people here are bringing their dogs home from surgery ... be careful with the water.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Thank You! I'll be keeping this! You may have just saves a Fur Child's Life! Thanks!

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
I know I'm going to get some kickback for saying this but I failed Daisy. Yes I did. I didn't know, and I almost lost her. It was a nightmare I wouldn't wish on anyone. I am sorry everyday now that I didn't know, that I didn't take the time to learn, that I could have spared Daisy that terrible awful weekend. My biggest regret.

Please take the time to read this and understand it.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jo, you did the best you could at the time... and luckily, it was good enough. You've also turned that harrowing experience into spreading the word and educating others. Who knows how many others have been spared the heartache because they were more aware.

·
Dog Lover
42,036 Posts
Bloat Chart

Thanks for this chart I think it is helpful.

JoEllen: I knew about bloat my other male samoyed got it and survived because we rushed him to the animal emergency rm not knowing that's what he had. Gizmo also had the surgery where they sew the stomach so it can't flip again. Even having been through this 10 or 12 years ago, when it happened to Snobear, I didn't even think of Bloat until about 15 minutes into it.

Signs to watch for are:
Wretching and trying to vomit but nothing is coming up.
Trying to poop but nothing is coming out.
Being very ancy-pacing, not sitting down, acting nervous.
Finally Snobear just lay down like he was exhausted. Looked at his gums and thought they were pale.
Also, Feel for a distended stomach or a lump in the stomach.
Get your dog to an emerg. vet immediately-think they said you have an hour.

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
I am sorry everyday now that I didn't know

But could you have known? To tell you the truth, my little Tess will come home next Friday, and it sometimes terrifies me because I've got the feeling that although I do my best to read as much as I can and ask questions everywhere, I don't know enough to take the responsibility for that little girl. Every day there is something on the Forum that is new to me...But it that a reason not to get her home and try to be the best I can? No...

·
Registered
287 Posts
I had never seen this chart before. Thanks for posting.

It makes me think that this is what happened to my last dog, Payton. He passed away on the way to the emergency vet. He had all the symptoms mentioned. We didn't have an autopsy done, but were told that his spleen ruptured. The emergency vet said that he most likely had an underlying condition such as a tumor. Would he have had similar symptoms? It was so out of nowhere. He was fine that night when he went to bed and then woke up in the middle of the night and deteriorated quickly. My sister still blames herself because she is positive that it was caused by a rawhide (very thin small piece) she gave him. I wish we had known more. I feel like I let him down.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Jo -I know I have done things completely wrong and pooor old Copper has had to (thank god) live through my learning curve. (pancreatitis- twice- for one)

They have told me to restrict his water intake after surgery and I am sure I did not restrict enough and just lucked out. I never really questioned why I should restrict him so probasbly gave him more than I should have.

give Daisy a hug and cuddle and tell her you love her for me. I shall try to learn and be more aware of bloat so I can hopefully avoid it in the future!

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
Wow thank you for that - I have read it carefully and will have my hubby do the same! I am curious though, about Phase III - it says that "death is imminent" but in the treatment section it says that the dr. will remove part of the stomach and spleen, but then it also says that "it is no longer possible to save the dogs life" - Which is it? Can the dog be saved with surgery in this phase, or will the dog die no matter what?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts