Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Bleeding quick

1K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Goldens&Friesians 
#1 ·
I was trimming rangers claws and i guess i went to far on one and there was a little blood. Not much he wasn’t trailing it or anything buti noticed the tip of the fur on his feet has a little blood. I feel absolutely awful. He did not yelp or cry or anything. I don’t have styptic powder so just cleaned it with warm water with a little dish soap and there’s no blood anymore. He has been playing with chew toys in his ex pen so he has not licked it. Seems to be walking ok. No more blood. Called the vet they didn’t answer. Does this need veterinary intervention? Doesn’t seem that way to me but I read about possible infection and I’m new to dogs. Will he never let me come near his claws ever again?? I hope I didn’t traumatize him. :(

#6 ·
Will he never let me come near his claws ever again?? I hope I didn’t traumatize him. :(
More likely that you traumatized yourself! (Speaking from experience…🙈) I quicked my current golden really bad when she was a puppy and was so upset I couldn’t bring myself to cut her nails again for a looong time. Big mistake. Because of my hesitancy, I now have a nightmare of a time trying to cut her nails by stealth or from the floor while she’s distracted with a lickimat. When it’s nail time again, go in with confidence and styptic powder and you’ll both be fine 😊

#7 ·
I hate when that happens. Logan doesn’t even seem to notice it. I’ve only done it a few times. I try to take a little bit at a time so I don’t really get a bleeder. You may want to get some styptic powder. If it stopped bleeding, I would not be concerned.

#10 ·
Yeah he didn’t even notice! I gave him squeazy cheese to distract him while I do it and he just tried to pull away a little bit didn’t seem to notice at all. I didn’t notice until a few minutes later when his feet fur had a little blood. I looked at it again a few hours later and it’s not bleeding but it looks like a scab. I feel so bad.
More likely that you traumatized yourself! (Speaking from experience…🙈) I quicked my current golden really bad when she was a puppy and was so upset I couldn’t bring myself to cut her nails again for a looong time. Big mistake. Because of my hesitancy, I now have a nightmare of a time trying to cut her nails by stealth or from the floor while she’s distracted with a lickimat. When it’s nail time again, go in with confidence and styptic powder and you’ll both be fine 😊
I definitely traumatized myself I feel so bad. I find it a little hard to trim his claws, as they’re dark colored and I can’t see the pink quick like I can on my cat. I try to touch his paws a lot but I’ll try to trim again in a month or so

#8 ·
I'm guessing that most of us have done this. :(
I try to trim my dog's toenails a small amount every 4-6 weeks. I would like to know from y'all how to tell when you should trim a dog's nail and how short they should be kept. Can someone post any photos or guidelines for correct nail lengths and trimming schedules?
Thanks

#9 ·
I'm guessing that most of us have done this. :(
I try to trim my dog's toenails a small amount every 4-6 weeks. I would like to know from y'all how to tell when you should trim a dog's nail and how short they should be kept. Can someone post any photos or guidelines for correct nail lengths and trimming schedules?
Thanks
Look at the bottom of the nail when you trim. You will be able to see the quick on a properly trim toenails. If the nails are long and there’s a length of dead nail you’re gonna have to take a bit off at a time and look for the quick.

#14 ·
A home hack I learned about if you don't have styptic powder - anything powdery will help. I have heard cornstarch is the best, flour works in a pinch. If it happens, don't make a big deal out of it. It (almost always) looks much worse than it is, and most dogs only get worried when their owners do!

#16 ·
Professional groomer here. Quicking nails happens all the time-especially if the dog struggles for their nails! It looks like it wasn’t bleeding excessively so you probably only just barely quicked it. They bleed like crazy if you really get it. And I echo what others have said: you can use corn starch or flour to try to stop the bleeding if you don’t have any styptic powder/quick stop.

Reactions: mariartist
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.