Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With our latest bout of winter weather, we've had snow that started to thaw and then re-froze, so it's an icy covered snow. The last couple of times Brady has played outside he has cut all four paws when he runs on the hard/crunchy surfaces. Nothing major, but enough that he leaves blood spots when he walks for a little while, and I can see little nicks on his pads. I've tried putting muttluck boots on him which do help except that they fly off his feet when he runs and I'm putting them back on every few minutes. Any other suggestions to help prevent this (aside from moving to a warmer climate :doh:)?

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
Hi - I was hoping others would have some great ideas for you. I've never had bleeding paws from snow and ice but I would probably try

Musher's Secret or Tuf-Foot for Dogs to protect the pads

I would also add some walking on hard surfaces to try to toughen those pads up - Good luck

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi - I was hoping others would have some great ideas for you. I've never had bleeding paws from snow and ice but I would probably try

Musher's Secret or Tuf-Foot for Dogs to protect the pads

I would also add some walking on hard surfaces to try to toughen those pads up - Good luck
Thanks, I was thinking of musher's secret. He does walk on hard surfaces all the time. I know golden's pads are supposed to be rough, but when I look at his I think they might be drier than they should be, so maybe some moisturizer/protection from the musher's secret is what he needs.

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
I agree about Musher's secret and IV bags over socks if paw pads are really cut up. Liquid Bandage is really helpful for healing them.

Our walk in Maine was pretty futile today too for the same reason- the ice cover on the snow meant the goldies wouldnt/ couldnt run around bc it hurt their paws, and everyone just went single file on the snowshoed trail.

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts