Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Backstory: My Sandy will celebrate her third gotchya day with us in August 2020. We will call her 8 years old at that point, but as we are estimated to be her 4th (and last) owner, we don't know for sure. Her previous owners told us that they were too busy for a pet, and had actually left her inside for 24 hours alone and they were happy to brag that she didn't pee in the house. :mad: This may or may not be related to our current issue.....it's just worth mentioning. Fast forward to now, she's a very sweet, well behaved, and completely trustworthy. However, we go through spurts where we come home from work to a puddle in the house. It's out of the the high traffic areas, and she's very apologetic. The big thing is the smell, it smells like dried shrimp. It's not a urine smell or a fishy smell. Dried. Shrimp. I dont believe its a training issue or a UTI. She isnt squatting any more than normal. She's generally a whiny dog, so we let her out often simply bc we dont know if thta's why she's whining. Thoughts? Weak Bladder? Her normal diet includes Purina Basic 9 (recently switched from Pro plan sensitive skin), GNC urinary support tabs, glucosamine chews, Keppra for seizures with 1/2 pill pocket, about 1/4 tsp of glandex (she doesnt need it, my male golden does....but it keeps them out of the wrong food bowl...that's only 1/4 of the dosage), and 1 or 2 teeny training treats (seriously).

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
I would see the vet for a sterile urine testing and possibly culture depending on what is seen under the scope. The reason I would do this is that normal urine has a very subtle scent, and nothing will make it strong and fishy besides either bacteria that should not be in her UGtract or improper concentrating ability which could be from other systems. Something is wrong, in other words, there is no question about that. There ARE some conditions that dogs can have all their lives by which they typically have strong smelling urine but if she did not have it when you got her on each pee, she did not develop it later- those are improper amino acid metabolic conditions there from birth. Not all UTIs cause frequent piddling, and it is not unimportant she learned early on to hold her urine- it might even be that an US is necessary to determine whether she has a bladder diverticulum developing in a weak place that formed a pouch and holds urine possibly growing a whole different flora than is in her easily emptied normal bladder.. definitely a vet visit is in order, along with a sterile catch.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts