Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I was noticing my Golden, Casey, 1 1/2 years old, was licking his penis way more than normal so I took him to the vet. He had a fever, white cells in his urine and a low ph. He is on antibiotics and another drug to raise the ph level. Everyone I talk to say its abnormal for a male to have a bladder infection, especially at his age. I'm wondering if anyone else out there has had this problem. He does not have a fever anymore, I checked that. He is running around like a lunatic, which is great, means he is feeling better so apparently the pills are working but what is this from? The vet didn't give me much information or maybe I didn't ask the right questions.
Any help would be much appreciated. We lost our last Golden to osteosarcoma and I don't want to even think of losing this little guy yet. Love him TOOOOO much.:)
Thanks, Woodyspond

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I wouldn't say a bladder infection is abnormal in a male, just not as common. Since he's on meds. and obviously feeling better, I wouldn't worry.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Woody

Woody

So glad Casey is feeling better and I have heard of males getting bladder infections.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I have heard of bladder infections in a male dog before. Glad Casey is feeling better.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
My Jaro was doing the same a few months ago, he is 17 months, and the vet looked at him said there was a little discharge and asked if it was ok to trim the fur on his penis. I know my groomer does something she calls a sanitary trim, which is about the same I think. If the fur gets long it can hold too much urine and cause irritation or a UTI. So maybe that is what was happening to your guy, too. She also said to use unsented baby wipes after he peeded until it was better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts