Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, you have all been beyond wonderful in your quick responses to my question about cutegoldenpups.com. A million thanks for the information. I appreciate you knowledge and willingness to share. Our golden died at only 1 1/2 years old of cancer. We just got him from a family without doing much research. He needed a home and we loved him. He was a therapy dog and just the greatest with patients at the hospital. After having a golden, we are hooked and would like to get another one next spring. While vacationing in London we met an English golden who was gentle and wonderful and so since we are looking for a new puppy we thought we would like explore the English version. Now, here is another question for all of you experts.....do any of you know of Blackpool Goldens in Shanty Bay Ontario Canada? Their website looks wonderful and is expansive in information. If anyone out there has an English Golden and would like to share where they got it, that would be wonderful. I sure do appreciate all of your help. Thanks. Story

·
Registered
429 Posts
My dog Dodger is from Blackpool. They are near where my parents live so I went to visit them when I first started my puppy search and fell in love with thier dogs. I contacted/visited some other kennels as well but ended up going back to them. I went with a list of questions from my friend who is a vet (i.e., health clearances ect.) and Michele pulled out a big binder of the health records for the dogs and explained about the OVC, PenHip, and OFA ratings, since I didn't really know what I was asking about!

I wasn't specifically looking for an English style golden though - I didn't know thats what they were until Michele said they weren't "rare" and they don't charge more for them (had no idea why she felt the need to mention that until I joined this site!)

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
I've heard of them, have no experience with them myself but make sure that they do all 4 health clearances before going ahead with a puppy.

Some other breeders to check out that breed goldens from English lines are:
- Braefield Goldens (in Cayuga, Ontario, near Hamilton)
- Sterre Goldens (Shelley/ sterregold is a member on here, located in Guelph, Ontario), whose dogs are very active in hunting and conformation
- Perhaps the closest to you would be Doolin Goldens. Doolin is also a member on the forum here and there are many of his pups around! (including Ace, owned by Bogey's Mom, and Sophie & Sawyer, both owned by Sophie_Mom). He is located in Wisconsin.

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
I know Michele as we are often at the shows together. When there is a judge known for appreciating the English style we all show up! She has lovely dogs and is diligent about their health and clearances.

Since you are all the way in the midwest another person you might talk to is Sue Birch of Birch Run Goldens. She has been breeding for quite some time now and is what I'd call a serious hobby breeder, and uses some English bloodlines in her program. She does not breed often, and does lots of research before she does a breeding. I know her from when she lived in NY, but she relocated back to the midwest a year or so ago. If you were interested I could pm you her contact info.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I know two Blackpool dogs. They are nice dogs and quite intelligent. The older boy is a therapy dog and the girl, who is energetic is training for obedience.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I took one of Michele's 2 year old dogs and let me tell you she is intelligent and loveable and fits so well into our family with our cats and Great Pyrenees. I would definitely
recommend one of her puppies. She highly spoken of around the show scene and just loves her dogs.
Mya is such a great dog it feels like we have always had her instead of only having her for three months, she is also a very polite and well trained dog. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
We have an english that we got from Silmaril Kennels in Grimsby Ontario. We are thrilled with Buddy. I know that they are expecting a litter at the beginning of June.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts