Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Butter has a black nose and he is 13 months. I noticed some goldens have pink noses. Does a black nose eventually turn pink? Looks like Butter's nose is getting paler. It doesn't make any difference--was just curious. ahhhhh, Butt Butt.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Thats a great question. I've wondered about this too. Either way your Butter is one beautiful dog.

·
RIP Sweet Skyler
9,306 Posts
Loss of pigment will oft times happen in the winter and colder months. AKA "snow nose" RustyDog changes nose color every winter & spring!!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Yup, Steve beat me to it... "snow nose" certain breeds are prone to it. I have three of them LOL.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Yuppers, it is a snow nose. I always joke that I'm gonna touch up my boys noses with a Black Sharpie Permanent marker.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Loss of pigment will oft times happen in the winter and colder months. AKA "snow nose" RustyDog changes nose color every winter & spring!!

This is why I like this forum. You learn something new all the time.

·
Boudiga
4,102 Posts
and, just to add - don't buy into the nonsense that it has anything to do with what type of bowl you use. both Faith and Tucker get snow noses and Faith's got stainless steel bowls and Tucker has plastic & ceramic ones.

·
16,000 Posts
"Snow nose", "winter nose" - any number of names for it is due to lack of natural vitamin D as found in sunlight. The nose will darken as the winter ends. Some dogs' noses will never be as black, some fade as a natural part of aging.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Taz's coal black nose turned pink about 2 years ago and never turned back

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
It's totally normal. Goldens as well as some other breeds are prone to loss of nose pigment during the winter months. Some also gradually lose their pigment with age. Tucker is 17 months old and still has a coal black nose and I'm hoping it will stay that way. Of course, I won't love him any less if it doesn't. I just prefer a black nose.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
My golden boy Ryder had a permanent "snow nose" :)
Oh I loved that little pink nose!

·
Registered
850 Posts
Snow nose

When Roxy's nose turned pink, I was concerned. I did a search on the forum and learned about "snow nose". Here is Roxy's nose black on Aug. 20 and pink on Dec. 30.

Attachments

·
Susan
1,187 Posts
Jamie's nose seems to be turning a bit pink.

For those whose dog's nose became permanently pink did it then sunburn in summer?

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Bridger (at 2+) has lost his black nose -- we're not that cold here. Obi had a black nose for all 13 years. Maybe we oughta get another dog with a black nose, huh?

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
"Snow nose", "winter nose" - any number of names for it is due to lack of natural vitamin D as found in sunlight. The nose will darken as the winter ends. Some dogs' noses will never be as black, some fade as a natural part of aging.
Wow, Vitamin D, who would have thought. The things you learn here.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Wow, Vitamin D, who would have thought. The things you learn here.
vitamin D! this is so funny - since DH's doctor has recommended a Vitamin D regime for him he thinks D is supposed to be the absolute cure-all. He'll love this!

anybody give their pup a D supplement?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts