Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have been reading about 'snow noses' as this has happened to Marley over the last 2 weeks.

What I have read is that it happens in the winter months, when it's cold, but right now here in Rio it's between 34 and 40 degrees celcius most days, so how can this be happening to him when it's so hot and sunny outside?

·
Registered
10,565 Posts
Snow nose really has more to do with the amount of sunlight than the cold itself. In Wisconson for example, our days have been increasing in length since Dec. 21. Today the sun rose at almost 8 am and will set at 5:30 pm. I'm not sure of the equivalent where you live.

Another cause of a pink nose is genetics-did the mother and father of the litter have nice dark noses, or were their noses lighter in color?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So could it be because he's not getting outside as much due to the really hot weather? The sun is up here around 6.30 am until 8pm more or less.

Will this cause him any other problems, it's due to a lack of vitamin D isn't it?

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
What if a golden puppy has a black and nose with pink on it too? not an all black nose, not all pink either?? Is that bad?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Neither colored nose is "bad" unless you are competing in conformation and want to abide by the standard for our breed which is the black nose. Some browning can certainly occurr in the winter though. In my experience, if a dog has black eye rims, mouth, and black around the nose, but the nose is brown in the winter, then the nose will darken with more sunlight in the summer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts