Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often do you have to apply bitter cherry spray onto furniture to prevent chewing? We are bringing home our puppy tomorrow.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Honestly we never used it with our two. They were kept in two x-pens we put together until they earned the right for more space. Cross my fingers, but ours would rather bring a log into the house to munch on than our couch!

A friend of ours put a piece of fabric on all her couch legs and sprayed the cloth with bitter apple to keep her lab from eatting. He just learned to like the taste and ate the couch anyway...also the coffee table and coffee table legs!

I would not trust sprays too much and just confine the pup to the area you elect that is puppy proof until he can be trusted.

Reactions: Amberbark

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,727 Posts
I always have bitter apple spray around with puppies but only spray it if they show an interest in a item. I do strongly believe in confinement with freedom being earned not just given. If you can't keep eyes on puppy they should be confined.

Good luck in the new addition:). Welcome to the group :)

·
Arthur's Peep
189 Posts
We used bitter apple when Arthur was probably 8-16 weeks old. We'd spray it on the furniture (like rocking chair rockers, chair legs), whenever he showed interest. It seemed that for things he really liked we might have to do it every 2-3 days. Eventually it became a game, almost. He'd start to chew, I'd say "oh no" (in a neutral voice), and he'd watch me get the spray. At some point he just knew he wasn't supposed to. Now (at six months) he rarely chews what he's not supposed to, and if he starts, I give him a "permitted" chew (including a stick, with supervision) and he works on that. I don't even know where I put the bitter apple! It may be that once they're over the teething (as I think he is), they aren't so intent on chewing furniture.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Molly only had an interest in chair legs, thankfully none of them wood. It took two sprays for her to learn not to chew on the legs. I also used bitter apple on mowed grass. She loved to eat freshly mowed grass at the park, so I took the bottle with me and sprayed the grass like a maniac lol. She really hates the stuff, and the downside is that now she doesn't like ALL sprays. I have a spray bottle in the car filled with water when we're outside in the hot sun and she'll try to get away from it. I have to spray it on my hands first to show her it's water. She also doesn't like it when I'm spraying her rash with Gentamicin.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I've not used Bitter Cherry Spray, but have used Bitter Apple with mixed results. Our first dog wasn't a big chewer but was respectful of furniture after Bitter Apple was sprayed on it. Our Toby, well, he LOVES Bitter Apple--threw the stuff out after a few attempts at using it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
We never used the bitter cherry, but we tried the bitter apple with Moose. He didn't like the taste at all at first, and didn't chew. But after a few days he decided that he didn't care about the bitterness, and licked it off of everything. We just watched him very closely and now he rarely tries to chew on anything. Good luck, the best advice I can give is just be consistant and hopefully your pup will know you mean business and learn.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts