Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 7 month of golden has lost all his puppy teeth and has fully grown his adult ones but yet he's still biting!

Since we got him, i would always give him a toy when he bit my hand or anything he's not suppose to be biting because i was told that's the best way to teach them especially from a young age but my dog won't get out of the habit!

I no longer know what to do and it's becoming extremely frustrating for me and other family members. People can't even pet without him trying to bite down on their hands.

It's not an aggressive behavior, more like a bad habit, but it still hurts sometimes.

Any tips on how to fix this? desperate for anything ideas!

·
Registered
891 Posts
Golden puppies are very mouthy! You may have inadvertently rewarded him for biting your hands too. He bites....you give him a toy = reward. You need to give him the toy before he gets so worked up that he's biting. Give him a ball to hold will people pet him. As far as breaking the habit, if he was mine he would get a firm "no bite" and time out in his crate so he can settle.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
I agree, sometimes you need to be very clear that a behavior is unacceptable. A calm "no bite" and crating could get the idea across. Two of my Goldens naturally grabbed a greeting toy to hold in their mouth whenever someone walked in the house. My sweet Tawny was pretty funny scrambling around looking for something so she could come greet us.

·
Super Moderator
851 Posts
yes be firm, when my pup ( who is almost 7 months) gets a little too mouthy for my liking i cup his muzzle with both ands and tell him NO ( like cradling his face) and then I also make him do a 'down' to calm down more.

Work on catching the behaviour before he gets too hyper and over stimulated.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When it comes to being in "time-out" in the crate, how long should i leave him there? do i let him out when he starts crying or do i ignore it until he settles?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Moe is now 2 and he has a thing for watches or bracelets. Anything that draws attention or makes noise on you wrist really. He sits nicely for people to pet him but if the have on a watch, especially and I-Watch, he tries to nip it with his teeth. He's very gentle but it's unacceptable and scary for people that are timid around dogs or don't know him. He is honestly a clown. It's completely my fault. He doesn't grab the person just the item. I have had to really vigilant about correcting it. I realized it was my fault because when he does it to me I know what he's doing and sort of just role my wrist away, but no real correction. I had to start giving a firm No and stepping away from him. I don't wear a bracelet everyday so it was taking a really long time to correct.

My son came home from college and Moe scratched the face of his I-watch. You may have thought the world ended. Nothing against men but they lack nothing in the drama department. Within a week of my son being home the behavior was completely corrected. He corrected him every time he went near his wrist. Step away and a firm NO! I started wearing a bracelet EVERYDAY and doing the same. Now Moe sits and sort of looks at the watch/bracelet but he never touches it. I'm not sure if I think the time out in the crate would have worked for Moe. He needed the correction to be immediate.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Moe is now 2 and he has a thing for watches or bracelets. Anything that draws attention or makes noise on you wrist really. He sits nicely for people to pet him but if the have on a watch, especially and I-Watch, he tries to nip it with his teeth. He's very gentle but it's unacceptable and scary for people that are timid around dogs or don't know him. He is honestly a clown. It's completely my fault. He doesn't grab the person just the item. I have had to really vigilant about correcting it. I realized it was my fault because when he does it to me I know what he's doing and sort of just role my wrist away, but no real correction. I had to start giving a firm No and stepping away from him. I don't wear a bracelet everyday so it was taking a really long time to correct.

My son came home from college and Moe scratched the face of his I-watch. You may have thought the world ended. Nothing against men but they lack nothing in the drama department. Within a week of my son being home the behavior was completely corrected. He corrected him every time he went near his wrist. Step away and a firm NO! I started wearing a bracelet EVERYDAY and doing the same. Now Moe sits and sort of looks at the watch/bracelet but he never touches it. I'm not sure if I think the time out in the crate would have worked for Moe. He needed the correction to be immediate.
I don't think immediate correction works for my cooper because we DO correct as soon as he does but he goes and tries to bite me again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts