Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 11 week old puppy Daisy is a very good puppy. She mouths and nips like any puppy normally would. She is fairly gentle with me, my husband and my baby...BUT when it comes to my 5 year old daughter it's another story. My daughter will just walk by and Daisy thinks it's ultimate play time!! She jumps and nips her and her sharp little puppy teeth hold nothing back! Help! How do we curb her aggression w my daughter?

·
Human to Maximus
219 Posts
Maximus did the same thing with my 5 year old niece. I'm not an expert, and I'm sure more experienced people will help, but we just constantly redirected him. I also had my niece cross her arms across her chest, tell him to sit, and not touch him until he did. Of course we were always there monitoring and showing him what was appropriate. He caught on fast that he needed to settle down with her.

Is it because they are younger and shorter that they get so excited? I wondered if Maximus viewed her as more of a playmate since she was closer to his size than her older (8 years) sister.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Your little golden looks at your 5 year old like a litter mate. Involving your 5 year old in training will go a long way to correct this behaviour. Start with teaching your 5 yr old how to command sit, down, stay, come. Let her command the puppy independently if you, under your supervision of course. Good luck, this worked for me, so let us know how you go!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I kind of figured it was the playmate mentality. My daughter has just started training with Daisy so hopefully she can keep it up and I will keep adding in more obedience training as well. I will have her try the crossing her arms and not touching technique. My poor kid, she is getting so torn up...it's just so hard for her to understand that Daisy just wants to play with her not hurt her.

·
Carrie
229 Posts
We went through the same thing with Bailey, who is almost 6 months. He's a gentle soul with my 17 month old, but the 4 year old... Different story. My 4 year old plays a lot rougher, even cuddles a lot of rougher, so usually Bailey just reciprocates. With re-direction and guidance (for both of them) things have gotten a lot better.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Must be something about the age of child. I have three kids, 6.5, 4.5 and almost 2. Our pup, who is almost 5 months now, learned to be gentle with the littlest one early on, and she stopped nipping my oldest as well, maybe because my oldest learned early how not to rile her up and how to give her commands that she listens to, etc. But my 4 year old still gets nabbed sometimes, although it has gotten better. As a PP said, my 4 year old is a lot rougher in play in general than our baby, and he tends to run a lot and to want the dog to play rough with him, until the dog actually starts playing rough, then he gets upset:). It took a little education for dog and kid. One thing that has helped is that I have my son get a dog toy if he wants to run and jump and get the dog to chase him. The dog can almost always be convinced to bite and chase the toy now and not his feet or pant legs. He and the dog also enjoy tug. I also started having my 4 year old help me feed the dog and train her, which I think has helped. He likes to play hide and seek with her, where I put her in a down/stay, he goes and hides somewhere with a treat, and then I ask her to find him and she searches all over until she gets him (and the food).

My son was upset when we first brought our pup home because he was really looking forward to it, our old dog had been his pal, and he did get a little torn up at first-she used to bite his hair when he was trying to cuddle her! But I am happy to report that Molly now spends almost every evening sleeping with him in his bed until we call her down to let her out:).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts