Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just joined this fabulous forum!

We adopted a male golden retriever, Louis, at 8 weeks. He is 14 weeks old now, and as busy as can be expected. He is sweet and follows me like a shadow. He is our first ever dog, so we're learning the ropes :) We've had two lessons of basic puppy training so far, learning basic commands such as sit and come and walking on the leash.

He does one thing that I do not know how to handle and I don't understand why he's doing it! Since we've had him, I would put him in the car with me when I dropped the kids at school, or got them again in the afternoons, and other short trips where I knew he would be able to tag along. Normally he would be fine in the back between the kids.

The last two weeks he started biting the kids (scary biting, almost a bit aggro) once we got him in. When I placed him on the passenger seat next to me to avoid this, he started "attacking" me (I say attack, because that is what it feels like); along with the snappy biting would go some snarling and baring of teeth. It would have to stop the car and try and calm the situation, as it is difficult driving when a dog is lunging towards you ready to bite. Since that has happened (twice), I haven't put him in the car again as I was too flustered.

I really want him to be happy in the car - we want to go to the beach sometimes, and the vet of course, and I must admit I was quite looking forward to the driving companionship with my pup. Is this a phase? What is bothering him?

·
Premium Member
1,965 Posts
I agree with the crate, or if you don't have room for a crate in the car, a harness. A good car harness will keep him safe in an accident, and will also keep him in place so that he can't bite.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Crate train him and use it in the car, he will be much safer as will you and the kids...! If all you have is a regular back seat, you can level a crate with towels and use the seat belt to tie it down...!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. What would be a probable reason for him acting this way though? Once the situation is diffused, he lies down and is quiet. 💁‍♀️

·
Registered
42 Posts
I found that crating my golden girl Nala with her favourite toy calmed her right away. Besides, it's safe for you and the pup if he is in the crate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts