Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Joy
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I'm new here. I have a 12 week old golden mix (some airedale terrier in him) named Cooper. I've gotten past the freaking out stage where I questioned whether or not I'd adopted a rabid animal due to all of his biting and craziness. Now I'm trying to teach him bite inhibition. I want to be consistent. Today I started giving him treats between my thumb & index finger and yelling "ouch!" & pulling away if he bit too hard when taking the treat. When he started to get frustrated and bite my leg, I would put him in his crate for a couple of minutes and then bring him out once he calmed down and try the training again.

Does this sound like a good technique?

Techniques we've tried: Holding his muzzle shut when he bites - he just gets more hyper. Spraying him when he is chewing/biting on someone/thing he shouldn't - this deters him momentarily, but then he smells like apple cider vinegar and eventually comes back. Giving him a toy, he usually lunges forward and tries to keep biting us. When he does get a hold of my arm or wrist, he bites down hard and pulls! This is normal, yes?

I've read through many of the puppy biting threads, but I still wanted to start my own and receive some feedback.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
First off let me say welcome!! :D Second...oh my gosh he is super cute. Thirdly how long have you had him? Consistency is important with training a pup well for training anything really. You need to pick a method and then stick to it. I like the one you are using now I have used in teh past and had it work. I dont like using spray bottles on my animals I dont think it works very well and I find that most dogs get a bit more aggressive if you hold their muzzles.
The other method I have used in the past is yelping and saying "NO" whenever they put their teeth on me althought I must admit that I was doing this with younger pups 4-8wks.
Hopefully someothers will have suggestions for you too. But remember they do grow out of this.

·
Registered
145 Posts
What worked well for us when he was mouthy, was pulling your hand away and yelping (like a puppy) then getting up and ignoring him for a few minutes. That and grabbing his muzzle firmly (NOT hard) and using "off" or "no". When he gets too wound up, a short timeout might be a good idea. This is normal puppy behavior, but those land shark teeth hurt:)

·
Joy
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We got him when he was 5 weeks old (yes, I know early) from the Humane Society.
He is a fast learner. He was already crate trained when we got him. He stopped whining at night by the second evening. He learned how to "sit" and "come" within a week of being in our home.

His little teeth are the only things driving us crazy. :)

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
What an adorable pup!! The best teacher of bite inhibition is another dog or puppy. Since you got him so young he missed that all important learning stage with his littermates- so if you are able to find a well run puppy class for him or even another puppy tolerant adult dog - it would go a long ways to helping him learn to control his mouth.
Try holding his treats in the palm of your hand, pulling away when he bites your fingers encourages him to 'go at' the treat much faster and harder - it is a reflex. Keep your hand closed until you want him to take the treat - open your hand and say 'take it'. He is bound to be a bit rough to start with, but over time, and once he figures out the treat is not going to disappear, you can work on having him 'take it nice' or more gently. Work with this when he is fairly calm, and excited puppy is not likely to be 'thinking' too much about what he is doing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts