Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we just got a golden 6 days ago he is 9 weeks well i guess 10 now. he really loves to bite. is this just a phase, will he be like this all the time. my kids want to play with him but all he does is try to bite them and they get sad that hes not a lovable dog like there grandmothers dog who lets them kiss him and hold him without bitting. we got him chew toys and just been telling him no when he does it, any suggestion. wee are taking him to the vet tomorrow for a health check up and we will ask them but any other advise would be apreciated.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Perfectly normal behavior. It is hard to deal with. Goldens are mouthy dogs but he will outgrow it. They have earned the nickname 'landsharks' honestly.

How old are your kids? How much they handle the biting depends on their age. If they are very young, you should be present whenever they are with the puppy. When puppy bites, redirect with toys. Always show puppy what he SHOULD be doing. Never discipline him with hitting or yelling.

Sometimes puppies get over excited just like kids. A timeout in his crate (if you don't have one you should get one) until he calms down is a good way to keep him under control. Learn your puppies personality and temperament. For instance, our golden is very sweet but easily excited. She was a horrible landshark and I was like you wondering what I'd gotten into. If your puppy is exciteable, try to keep situations low keyed. If he's high energy, make sure he gets a lot of play time, preferably outside.

I also recommend not giving puppies toys with squeakers. I believe the squeaking mimics captured prey and really revs up the puppy. Chew toys that allowing chewing without exciting them is better. You can also freeze a damp wash cloth to help with teething. Just watch carefully to make sure puppy doesn't eat the cloth.

It's tough time that will try your patience and nerves but in the end you'll have a wonderful Golden that will adore your kids and probably give lots of kisses and hugs.

We love pictures. Hint hint hint

·
Registered
97 Posts
Our Piper is 9 weeks old. She bites A LOT as well. My hands can attest to that. We have been taught in puppy preschool that she should be redirected with acceptable behavior.

Also we were taught "be a tree", which really seems to work. You wrap your arms around your torso and stop moving and look away from the puppy. Piper is learning quickly that all fun stops when she bites. Plus my kids love being a tree! They are 3 and 5, and their screaming and running from the biting just revs her up more. But I always monitor them with her, because they do get scared and it can quickly get out of control.

Good luck and pictures please!

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
It's best that you teach them not to bite. I taught Bailey no bite and it took me two weeks. My neighbor has a golden boy and he still bites and he is 4 years old. It's very annoying.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I felt the same as you do just a few short weeks ago! Josie was, and can still be a terrible biter. It is getting better. What works for us is a calm, stern "no bite", and we immediately leave the room and count to 30. Then calmly walk back into the room like nothing happened, but don't greet the puppy either. Just go about your business and give her attention when she's doing something right. I have also noticed that biting can be her way of telling me she needs a break, some time in her crate or a nap.
Having said that -- its easier said than done. My kids aren't too great at staying calm when they are being bitten, and they don't want to leave the room either. They just keep asking for it sometimes! And its hard to leave the room with a 20 lb puppy attached to your pants.
Just try to be consistent and it will get better, really!!!!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yes, please hang in there. Maggie is 15 weeks old and it DOES get better... but it hasn't ended for us yet. Just this week I added some of my own desperate comments to this forum. We try to keep our cool and stay consistent with how we react (it's difficult tho). "Being a tree" works a lot of the time but not when she's unraveling the yarn in the sweater you're wearing. We have found that when it becomes very intense and constant it's her way of telling us she REALLY has to go potty, even tho she's well-trained on the bells. It's almost like she can't help it. It also often means the teething is incredibly painful/irritating so we give her ice cubes and bones and other things to really gnaw into.

Maggie starts puppy class today. I'm hoping some of the other puppies will show her just how annoying this biting can be!

Good luck!

·
Registered
73 Posts
My Trinian is 14 months old and still bites at my arms when we are going out for a run.
I find that redirecting his attention to snowballs and biting them helps.
However, he is full size at 14 months, (96 pounds) and the run- bite by me gets my attention. Mostly in the house he responds to "NO BITE!" but he is a big dog now.
Yes they are mouthy.
I was on Coumadin when my Trinian was going through the puppy stage of biting and the hospital wanted to know if I had a shark in my house. No just a lively Golden Puppy. (( sigh)). It does get better with age and learning !

·
Kristy
10,430 Posts
Hey TwoFastDogs..... Thanks for the 'be a tree' idea. I've heard of it before but had forgotten to try to teach it to my kids. My youngest is three and she just freezes and screams while Duncan (9 weeks) lunges and nips. I'm really having no problem with him biting me, it's with the kids that he seems to get out of control. It's hard to always be within arm reach, so I will try working on this idea.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mako is 20 weeks old and also was very mouthy when he was little. Sometimes I wished we named him fluffy instead of Mako. It does get better. I notice that the more we walk and play catch the less biting he does on me. A tired puppy is a good puppy. Keep giving him his favorite toy and say no biting when he is biting you. You have to hang in there and one day you will say he wasn't so bad today. It will be all worth it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well Sonic is still bitting but i have to say he is getting better little by little. but i hate to say it but taping him on the nose and telling him no has been the only thing that is working for me. if he is bitting i simply hit his nose not to hard and say no and tell him to kiss and try to get him to lick me instead of bitting. working pretty good. , which i got that from someone on this site but for the kids he love to go after them but its not his fault they run and run so he can chase them. the first pic is his first day with us. and the secong pic is a week later. we will have had him 2 weeks tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Of course my 8 week old Golden is perfect! Ha! She will go from a loving kiss to a quick bite in the blink of an eye. Ear lobes are a favorite target. I tell her "No Bite!" or "Ouch!" and she will usually stop but is it appropriate to tap them with your hand?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts