Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took Bear to get his booster shot at the vet today. Got him on the scales...40.2kg (88.6lbs). He doesn't look overweight, he just looks BIG. the vet crouched down to pet him, he pushed himself on to her and licked her to death all over her face. Changed his mind about her after the needle though!! ImageUploadedByPG Free1373005639.373970.jpg this is a current pic, do you think he looks overly big?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Rudy's Lucky Dad
8,135 Posts
I broke out in a big grin reading about the lavish kissing going on at the vet's office :D

He sounds like an absolutely wonderful boy.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He looks great to me He's just a big boy like many are. We've had a couple that big.

Who's the little cute bug in the pic?
That's his new sister Stormy. She's 10 1/2 weeks old, her weight is 8.4 kg. so I figure I've got about 50kg of golden fun at the moment! ImageUploadedByPG Free1373008226.972896.jpg thats a small package of trouble.

·
Rudy's Lucky Dad
8,135 Posts
That's his new sister Stormy. She's 10 1/2 weeks old, her weight is 8.4 kg. so I figure I've got about 50kg of golden fun at the moment! View attachment 218410 thats a small package of trouble.
What a little doll!! My forehead got warm when I saw her ... puppy fever :D

·
Mom to Artemis & Justice
1,190 Posts

My boy Artemis weighs in at 89-90 pounds depending on the
day. Vet says he's at perfect weight for his height, but I
think he is a little taller than the breed standard. I'm wondering
if neutering him at 6 months (eight years ago) has anything
to do with it? I've been reading the new neutering thoughts
and it appears that early neutering can cause taller dogs!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

My boy Artemis weighs in at 89-90 pounds depending on the
day. Vet says he's at perfect weight for his height, but I
think he is a little taller than the breed standard. I'm wondering
if neutering him at 6 months (eight years ago) has anything
to do with it? I've been reading the new neutering thoughts
and it appears that early neutering can cause taller dogs!
Bear was also neutered at 6 months.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I had the same with Buddy. Took him into the vet's and he weighed in at 90 pounds. I was in denial. He doesn't look that heavy. Although I have to admit, he does feel it if he happens to step on your foot.

·
Mom to Artemis & Justice
1,190 Posts
Thanks! We think he's pretty special! He has always been an active boy, but I wouldn't say very high energy. When we are outside he races and runs to his heart's content, but inside he's pretty low key and is more interested in sitting on your lap than anything else....yes at 90 pounds he's a lapful, but he doesn't know that! We lost his half sister 9 weeks ago so he's been more subdued than normal but he is starting to bounce back now. We're planning to bring another golden (puppy) into our home soon as well, hopefully he will really get back to himself then....after his nose goes back into joint...LOL.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
He looks very fit to me. That weight is considered outside the Golden standard which means nothing really for a dog who is a pet! I'm guessing he's quite a bit taller than the standard, too, and his weight is as should be for his height. Have you ever seen the Purina body condition chart for dogs? A very useful method to be sure your dog is the right weight for his bone structure and height.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Tucker is 90lbs, neutered at 8 months.

He has a tuck-up and you can feel his ribs. He seems taller and longer than most Goldens.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Grit has been 88 lbs since 12 months and is 25 inches at the withers. I suppose he is just over the standard but is well proportioned and one can feel his ribs easily. He stays the same weight now and has not been neutered.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts