Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people,
I came here for some help...
I have a little puppy who is just a little over 6 months old. Since we got him, he has done resource guarding. at 8 weeks old, my daughter was giving him some chicken, and when she stopped, he growled and bite her. After that he went to training and had been getting better (dropping treat when told, etc..) until the other day, he got his daily greenie, and I told him to "GO" while pointing at his crate, but he started going to the bedroom, so I put my hand on his tummy redirecting him to his crate and he growled and bite me right away. He DOES break skin. I can be around him while he eat, but cannot touch him, however if my husband just walks by him while he eats, he will stop and attack. This afternoon, I told him NO as he was trying to go on the bed and his showed his teeth...No growling or biting this time, but it scared me. I am afraid of him.. I am afraid that if I push him off the bed or something like that, I could get bitten or my husband or my child.... Other than that he is very sweet and smart and learns things very quickly...however I am not sure it is enough...
We are supposed to receive a call from a behaviorist on monday for an evaluation.. I hope she tells me that it is fixable because I have been very very sad. I've been told I would have to have him euthanized because he could be a danger to someone else if he got rehomed... i am just sad...

·
Premium Member
18,410 Posts
You've done the right thing contacting the behaviorist, I hope she has some good advice for you.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I am sorry you are having trouble with your puppy. I am glad you are having someone come to evaluate him. I don't know why someone told you he would have to be euthanized and could not be rehomed. I think 6mo is way too young to say that. He is still young enough for redirection. The behaviorist you have coming should be able to teach you what you need to turn your boy into a well behaved dog. Good luck!!

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! There are many people here with experience in teaching pups not to bit and/or guard resources. I think most would say you are on the right path with a behaviorist and I hope with all my heart that you find a solution that brings you and your family to a safe and happy outcome.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Good idea to get help from a behaviorist. There is a book called Mine! by Jean Donaldson: Welcome to Dogwise.com
It deals with resouce guarding. You might find this helpful.
Best wishes to you!

Reactions: Nati

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Not sure who you called in Seattle, but I would strongly recommend either Kathy Sdao (Bright Spot Dog Training & Kathy Sdao, Certified Applied Animal Behaviorist (associate), Tacoma, Washington) or Grisha Stewart (Dog Training Seattle | Ahimsa Dog & Puppy Training, Voted Best Dog Trainer in Seattle). Or if you can travel to the Woodinville area, Steve and Jen White are awesome (Welcome to Rivendale Learning Center).

Yes. Resource guarding is fixable. Takes dedication (which it sounds like you have) and management during the training phase (and to a certain extent, for life) ... which can be harder in a home with kids ... but it's still do-able.

Reactions: Nati
1 - 6 of 6 Posts