Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends.

Wanted to send a note of warning about corn cobs, just so it's top of mind for any other puppy owners out there. My boy Darryl is 9 months, and is a trash collector. If he can snatch it, he loves to eat it, and in large chunks.

Yesterday he had a bout of vomiting. He vomited once, I fed him and gave water, and he vomited again. I tried to give him water, and he very quickly vomited again. 3 times was enough for me to call the vet, and I am glad I did. We went in right away, and an X-ray revealed a corn cob lodged in his small intestine. We were send to the Emergency Vet, where they repeated the X-rays and decided to keep him overnight, in hopes he would pass the cob. This morning, after another X-ray, it was concluded that the cob hadn't moved enough, and they did the surgery to remove it this afternoon. He seems to be doing ok, but he's staying one more night with the vet to make sure.

I'm really upset with myself for not noticing him finding a corn cob, I remember him chewing on a stick but now thinking back I wonder if I didn't realize it was the cob instead. I have no idea where the cob had come from.

As you can imagine, I was worried sick, and I am so sad this happened to my poor little guy. If your dog is like mine and loves picking up garbage, beware! Corn cobs are no joke. Get it out of their mouths the second you notice.

If anyone has advice on how to help him in the next few weeks of healing, I am all ears. How does one keep a young puppy from being too active? Any suggestions for toys that will distract him but cause minimal movement? All advice is welcome.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Swaddle him like a baby and hold him down? Man I dont know. I would just not engage with him if he tries to play hard. Give him chew toys. Kennel him as much as he will stand.
Love on him

·
Registered
142 Posts
Corn cobs are a disaster waiting to happen. Dogs love them, and they will almost certainly lead to blockages. Be careful at cookouts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
do a lot of mind games- where's the kibble piece, find it...
I'm glad you were on top of it and he is on the mend.

·
Super Moderator
1,202 Posts
You can keep him occupied with snuffle mats (nosework mats), treat dispensing toys and treat balls. Glad you got him into surgery so quickly.

·
Kristy
9,477 Posts
Sadly, I have been thru this more than once. If you haven't purchased trash cans with lids for every room in your house, I can't recommend it enough. First of all, keep him on a leash, drag it in the house so that you can put a stop to zoomies or jumping quickly. Crate him with a frozen stuffed kong or a pickle pocket stuffed with kibble at mealtimes. You can order those things off amazon easily. Go to kikopup on youtube and do some training for things like a hand "touch" and "attention" and silly things like shake. Buy a really big hard rubber waterbowl from tractor supply or a feed store (rubber so it doesn't skid) this is what it looks like, but you can get it cheaper somewhere else Amazon.com: Little Giant Heavy Duty Rubber Tub Durable Rubber Feed Pan, Perfect for Indoor or Outdoor Use (8 Quart) (Item No. HP8): Pet Supplies
Teach him to stand on it and then teach him to go touch it. Lots of silly little games like that. The time will go quicker than you think. So glad you ended up with a happy ending, poorer but wiser for sure. Thanks for sharing your story, most dog owners have no idea how dangerous a blockage is and it's so important to know the signs, especially if you're a Golden owner.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Has the vet mentioned anything about protecting the areas where the surgery took place? When amber got spayed we used an inflatable collar and surgical shirt. Both worked well.

20190126_113505-941x1122.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all! And oh my Amber is too cute in her post surgery outfit. I went to the pet store today and bought food toys that I can freeze things into to keep him distracted. The vet is sending him home with a cone tonight, will update with photos. I wasn't aware of the surgical shirts but I will ask about it!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Thank you all! And oh my Amber is too cute in her post surgery outfit. I went to the pet store today and bought food toys that I can freeze things into to keep him distracted. The vet is sending him home with a cone tonight, will update with photos. I wasn't aware of the surgical shirts but I will ask about it!
if the cone seems uncomfortable try the collar. it's easier to get around with and amber used it like a pillow.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

He's home and sleeping. But man, this incision is no joke. He was restless all night and had trouble laying down and being comfortable, though today he is much sleepier. He's yet to poop, but hopefully that happens soon.

·
Registered
397 Posts
If anyone has advice on how to help him in the next few weeks of healing, I am all ears. How does one keep a young puppy from being too active? Any suggestions for toys that will distract him but cause minimal movement? All advice is welcome.
My apologies if this seems a bit tone deaf, but I had to chuckle at the "all ears" reference given the topic of this thread.

Glad to hear Daryl is doing better. FWIW, we've been looking at those pillow-style collars for when Kona gets spayed. Glad to know they seem to work well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Glad he is recovering. I too can’t recommend a Suitical enough. Very effective as are the soft cones that you can attach to a collar if you need. Fortunately for us, the Suitical was enough for Lucy post spay. You just have to remember to unsnap and cross the straps before letting them go outside...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts