Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for an active healthy well bred dog. Have had field bred goldens in the past, but am looking for something with just a bit less drive, but still with lots of athletic ability. will train this little guy well and use for some hunting, but he will be a family member.

it seems tough to find a dog like this. any suggestions would be appreciated. located on the east coast, but dont mind traveling. would prefer to stay on this side of mississippi though:)

anyone have experience with tidewater goldens, wildwing goldens, or sunfire goldens?

thanks in advance,

Gary

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
I don't know anything about those breeders but I think you'd be surprised by what confirmation style goldens can do. My boy has no hunt title in his pedigree but he's very birdy and a great hunting companion but also a perfect couch dog when he needs to be. You just need to find the perfect puppy for you and a good breeder will be able to help you find a pup with the personality for what you need.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
when are you thinking you would like to get a puppy? I know of a probable upcoming breeding in Wisconsin that's a show/field mix, might be just what you're looking for, but the pups aren't likely to be ready to go home until late Summer.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,078 Posts
We have a Tidewater boy in our agility class. We've also taken obedience with him. He's not quite 2 yet and has his RN, WC and JH. His owner is also doing sledding with him. He's obviously quite versatile. He's actually pretty laid back compared to my youngest boy!!!

·
Titan1
2,353 Posts
I have two Sunfire boys and love them both...

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Gracie our current pup is from Sunfire. She's smart, energetic and agile . . . definitely not a couch potato but not as high energy as our Zeke who was from lines with multiple FC/AFC dogs. I'm hoping to do some competition obedience with Gracie and she's telling me she'd really like to try agility.

·
Chris
99 Posts
conformation & field lines..

There are many breeders like myself, that are producing multi-talented Goldens..dogs that excel in many venues. These dogs have sound temperaments with great work ethic, so they are easy to live with, but will work til they drop. I am sure if you do some research, you will find litters that will meet your needs. Best of luck in your search.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Totally OT, but Chris, I LOVE your sig'y photo.

Reactions: Ljilly28

·
Registered
Brady Aedan Finch and Wren
13,477 Posts
I currently have 2 Sunfire dogs (Towhee & Brady) and my Faelan is out of 2 Sunfire dogs. They are versatile, athletic, healthy and loving dogs. Hunt Tests, obedience, agility and rally all being current activities with them.

If you choose to go with Sunfire, you need to be very upfront with Barb & Mike about your previous experience raising goldens, your goals with your puppy etc. They may not have any puppies that will meet your needs but they also might have the puppy you are dreaming of :)

In the interests of full disclosure, I need to say that I have a girlie (Sunfire's Desert Towhee) who is co-owned with Barb & Mike, and has had 2 Sunfire litters and may be having a repeat litter in a year or so - depends on if her most recent litter continues to show the promise we bred for. That said, I do love Sunfire and can also attest to the fact that they take back their dogs at any time for any reason.

ETA: The potential repeat mentioned above was not intended as a 'maybe you could wait statement' :) Just part of my disclosure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for all the replies. the search continues. I am in no rush to get the pup. just want to make sure i get a little guy that is a good fit for us.

G

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the advice. i am not in a hurry, and dont mind waiting or traveling to get a dog that fits the bill - athletic, healthy, bidable, happy, friendly, and able to shut it off for movie night;-)

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Have you contacted your local golden retriever club? They would know of any upcoming litters in your area with the qualities you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
summer is fine. no rush. Which breeder?

Gary
I think that suggestion to contact your local GR club was meant for you to possibly be given names of *several* breeders that might have a pup that will fit your needs, rather than just one specific breeder.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Two Sunfire boys here, can't imagine not having something going back to Sunfire

1 - 16 of 16 Posts