Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

Registered
Ramses
Flexi leashes are popular here and they are awful. They allow the dog to be 15 to 20 feet away from their person, and you cannot effectively use them to control the dog, so if the dog rushes my dog, they can't pull their dog away easily. Plus, they are weak and break quite often, which is also dangerous. Basically they are just nightmare fuel that causes way too many problems. If I see someone with one, we go the other way right away.

This is quite a huge distance! 馃槯 I have not seen this here. People generally use normal leashes, perhaps the difference could be collar or harness... But nothing like that and definitely not that distance - not so far away from their owners !

Registered
Ramses
Q2 News: Dog enters home and attacks Billings homeowners' puppy.

I guess all my searches with this topic led me to getting this news... I watched the video and I was really horrified. The owner did mention @SRW's solution......

Lead Super Mod + Administrator
This thread makes it seem like there鈥檚 aggressive pit bulls lurking around every corner in the US. You鈥檙e moving to Portland, right @Sankari ? I almost guarantee that you are much more likely to find various types of doodles lurking around every corner in Portland, not pit bulls. If you are going to live in the city (as opposed to a suburb), you鈥檙e much more likely to find poorly behaved doodles dragging their owners around in their harnesses than you are off leash pit bulls.

But yes, bully breeds are common in the US, but not as much in the PNW as in the South and Midwest. As far as I know anyway.

I prefer to find other ways of exercising my dogs - even though I live in the city - than walking around the neighborhood or going to a dog park.

Registered
Ramses
This thread makes it seem like there鈥檚 aggressive pit bulls lurking around every corner in the US. You鈥檙e moving to Portland, right @Sankari ? I almost guarantee that you are much more likely to find various types of doodles lurking around every corner in Portland, not pit bulls. If you are going to live in the city (as opposed to a suburb), you鈥檙e much more likely to find poorly behaved doodles dragging their owners around in their harnesses than you are off leash pit bulls.

But yes, bully breeds are common in the US, but not as much in the PNW as in the South and Midwest. As far as I know anyway.

I prefer to find other ways of exercising my dogs - even though I live in the city - than walking around the neighborhood or going to a dog park.
I went to check properly where we are supposed to be living when we come to Oregon - it's not exactly Portland city... It's Washington county -- part of Portland metropolitan area (I think this is considered suburb? But in Europe, nor really same definitions so I'm not sure)...

My husband and I want to visit other states (by road) because we might not get another opportunity for all of us (including our Golden) to be in the US .. We just didn't think about these aspects regarding bully breeds/pitbulls. My golden travels with me around Europe quite alot but I never considered these issues- it's perhaps a blindsp酶t on our part. It's quite strict in Europe and many can't own alot of breeds because there is mandatory dog training one has to go through for some breeds (dog ownership is not always so easy except for breeds like labs and Goldens).. And that's why the questions on my part.. (I'm hoping nobody got offended though, it wasn't my intention to hint the US isn't safe and full of dangerous pitbulls 馃槵)

Registered
We just didn't think about these aspects regarding bully breeds/pitbulls. My golden travels with me around Europe quite alot but I never considered these issues- it's perhaps a blindsp酶t on our part.
The likelihood of issues with other dogs (and people) is vastly higher in cities than in rural areas.

Registered
@Sankari To give you a little perspective: In the 19 years I鈥檝e had dogs, only once has a loose dog run up and gotten aggressive with one of mine. That dog was a chocolate lab. The one encounter I鈥檝e had with a loose pit bull happened last year at a state park. That dog ended up tagging along on our hike and having the time of its life. (I think that illustrates Hildae鈥檚 good point about judging by behavior rather than breed.) I鈥檓 on the opposite side of the country from where you鈥檒l be, but as long as you鈥檙e aware and prepared, I don鈥檛 think you need to worry. If I regularly read dog horror stories (or even just the news sometimes) I probably would never leave my house. It鈥檚 truly awful when those things happen (and I hate to see what the people on this thread have been through) but it鈥檚 not the norm.

Registered
Ramses
The likelihood of issues with other dogs (and people) is vastly higher in cities than in rural areas.

I guess to me this would make sense in a way... based on the higher population density of cities vs rural areas... So one would find higher number of issues.... No?

Registered
Ramses
@Sankari To give you a little perspective: In the 19 years I鈥檝e had dogs, only once has a loose dog run up and gotten aggressive with one of mine. That dog was a chocolate lab. The one encounter I鈥檝e had with a loose pit bull happened last year at a state park. That dog ended up tagging along on our hike and having the time of its life. (I think that illustrates Hildae鈥檚 good point about judging by behavior rather than breed.) I鈥檓 on the opposite side of the country from where you鈥檒l be, but as long as you鈥檙e aware and prepared, I don鈥檛 think you need to worry. If I regularly read dog horror stories (or even just the news sometimes) I probably would never leave my house. It鈥檚 truly awful when those things happen (and I hate to see what the people on this thread have been through) but it鈥檚 not the norm.

That's alot of years versus my soon to be 2 years! it's a learning curve for me.. I got the news of that dog entering the home based on what I was reading so it came on my news feed (algorithms.) But based on what you and @ArkansasGold say, this would be a rare occurrence. I guess it's just the experience that stays with a person for a long time...

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
I like the way you think, but I prefer shotguns . . .

Here's an alternative - I'm thinking of getting one. A great little Derringer type pistol that uses two 410 shotgun shells. It's inexpensive and well made. Carry it in your fanny pack or pocket - the shotgun shells have a good spray pattern so you won't miss. Bond Arms | Home Page

Registered
"Here's an alternative - I'm thinking of getting one. A great little Derringer type pistol that uses two 410 shotgun shells. It's inexpensive and well made. Carry it in your fanny pack or pocket - the shotgun shells have a good spray pattern so you won't miss."

The problem is you will miss, probably by several feet even if you do get a shot off when needed. Shooting handguns well requires good form and lots of practice. Derringer type pistols are especially difficult to shot fast or accurately and you only have two shots. Also, any gun that is in you fanny pack is useless.

Reactions: 3goldens2keep
61 - 71 of 71 Posts