Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,419 Posts
Again with the snark...I don't know what your problem is with me or why you've felt the need to be rude to me in several threads but I'd seriously appreciate it if you took it down a couple notches and tried to act civil.
He’s offered you good advice to put him on ignore. Honestly, I’d take it.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
To @Sankari I would like to reiterate what @reneechristine8 already wrote: that was excellent advise, ask neighbors and get to know your surroundings before the first walk with Ramses. We live in what is considered an upscale neighborhood. We have NEVER seen or heard of a dangerous dog until that Pitbull encounter day 12 years ago. Thank goodness it was several miles from our home. I do not always have a weapon on my walks even after that episode but my husband always carries a weapon. I would not worry too much about your safety here in the states, I would like to think these incidents are rare and isolated.

·
Registered
Ramses
247 Posts
To @Sankari I would like to reiterate what @reneechristine8 already wrote: that was excellent advise, ask neighbors and get to know your surroundings before the first walk with Ramses. We live in what is considered an upscale neighborhood. We have NEVER seen or heard of a dangerous dog until that Pitbull encounter day 12 years ago. Thank goodness it was several miles from our home. I do not always have a weapon on my walks even after that episode but my husband always carries a weapon. I would not worry too much about your safety here in the states, I would like to think these incidents are rare and isolated.

Thank you 🙏🏽 sorry I didn't know the thread got closed at one point.. I didn't mean to start a dispute. It's just I didn't think of pitbulls when moving - I guess I just forgot about this. Pitbulls are not common in Europe (I think they are banned but I could be wrong).. we have rottweilers (I only know of one back home in France) but that's about it... They can't be off leash.

I just thought that maybe a pitbull will be muzzled when out in public - I thought there was a law in US so there would be no need to have pepper sprays and tasers...

·
Registered
113 Posts
It is hard to know what to tell you. I live in San Francisco, but a mile away there is a lovely little wild park with a tiny stream through it. My dog and I walked the loop there safely for years. Then one day an off leash pit mix attacked my dog. She outweighed my dog by probably 30 pounds. I won’t go into the horrific details, but my dog survived, both of us so traumatized that to this day ten years later I haven’t returned with my girl (boy has been gone for three years). Pulling the pit off my boy was impossible, by collar, leg or tail. Even safe places can become unsafe in an instant. So what can you do? Now the coyote population has so exploded that brazen coyotes threaten our pets mid day! My neighbor carries a shillelagh. For a while I carried a child’s golf club. Maybe just use a walking stick that can double as a weapon should you need it? These things are rare, but scary when they happen.

·
Registered
Ramses
247 Posts
It is hard to know what to tell you. I live in San Francisco, but a mile away there is a lovely little wild park with a tiny stream through it. My dog and I walked the loop there safely for years. Then one day an off leash pit mix attacked my dog. She outweighed my dog by probably 30 pounds. I won’t go into the horrific details, but my dog survived, both of us so traumatized that to this day ten years later I haven’t returned with my girl (boy has been gone for three years). Pulling the pit off my boy was impossible, by collar, leg or tail. Even safe places can become unsafe in an instant. So what can you do? Now the coyote population has so exploded that brazen coyotes threaten our pets mid day! My neighbor carries a shillelagh. For a while I carried a child’s golf club. Maybe just use a walking stick that can double as a weapon should you need it? These things are rare, but scary when they happen.
Oh that is horrible 😟 I'm sorry for you and your dog. I guess it's because pitbulls are banned in alot of Europe - it's difficult to see them around. It's just when we move I'm probably the person that's going to be spending more time with my golden and I like to go out and about with him.

I worry about getting run over because sometimes people are driving quickly and we have these shared type of roads (pedestrians, cars, cyclists)... - this seems very trivial now 🤦🏽‍♀️ I guess it's good to know about this and be aware of it.. We do have concerns about bears - it happens sometimes in the North of Europe. When I lived in Finland, it was quite common to sometimes see them ( I did not have a dog then) but really that was about it..

I am sorry though for what you have gone through..

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
First my apologies to the OP for hijacking your thread.. I'll be moving to the US with my golden and husband from France... I know I am going to sound ignorant and dumb here so I hope nobody takes offense.. I appreciate anyone who can educate me 🙏🏽 I have never lived in a country with pitbulls. I'm very scared of them and I'll admit I am not sure I can do much in a dog fight 🤦🏽‍♀️ I'm not the biggest and strongest of people , my husband would be better in these situations... We have leash laws in quite alot of places and sometimes people do not follow them - but generally it's labradors who are just running around (our neighborhood back in France has alot of labs). My golden has only ever interacted with labs and sled huskies in Norway that's it.

Do you guys really think I should be taking pepper spray around with me when I move to Portland, Oregon? Tasers? Stun guns? I'm not even sure I know how to use any of these things properly... The beaches and streets in your country are so beautiful, I never knew there could be potentially issues with pitbulls... 😟
Most places here have leash laws too but there are always jerks who think it doesn't apply to them. They're usually the ones who yell "Don't worry, he's friendly!" just before their dog attacks your dog.

We have LOTS of pitbulls here, lots. Also lots of pitbull mixes, corsos, bulldogs, mastiffs, rottweilers...people seem to love a "scary" looking dog. Sadly, the people who choose these breeds are often the exact people who shouldn't own them.

I will say though, don't ever trust a small dog either, they're more likely to bite than just about anything IME. If you see someone with a dog on a flexi-leash, get away from them.

I just thought that maybe a pitbull will be muzzled when out in public - I thought there was a law in US so there would be no need to have pepper sprays and tasers...
No. If you see Muzzling it is 1 of 2 things. The owner knows their dog is untrustworthy or reactive and does the responsible thing and muzzles them by choice for everyone's safety (almost never happens), OR the dog has already attacked someone and now must wear a muzzle in public to avoid euthanasia. You will not see many dogs in a muzzle here.

·
Registered
Ramses
247 Posts
Most places here have leash laws too but there are always jerks who think it doesn't apply to them. They're usually the ones who yell "Don't worry, he's friendly!" just before their dog attacks your dog.

We have LOTS of pitbulls here, lots. Also lots of pitbull mixes, corsos, bulldogs, mastiffs, rottweilers...people seem to love a "scary" looking dog. Sadly, the people who choose these breeds are often the exact people who shouldn't own them.

I will say though, don't ever trust a small dog either, they're more likely to bite than just about anything IME. If you see someone with a dog on a flexi-leash, get away from them.

No. If you see Muzzling it is 1 of 2 things. The owner knows their dog is untrustworthy or reactive and does the responsible thing and muzzles them by choice for everyone's safety (almost never happens), OR the dog has already attacked someone and now must wear a muzzle in public to avoid euthanasia. You will not see many dogs in a muzzle here.
Oh so much I never even considered 😧.. It never crossed my mind about all these breeds. We have one rottweiler back in our neighborhood in France -- he's eye catching because he's uhh wearing a suit on his walks (I don't know what that's about...) but that's it. I have never had any interaction with any of the other breeds and with pepper spray illegal in alot of Europe that would be hard if one came out of nowhere! I'll also keep in mind: flexi-leash, muzzles and small dogs. Thanks for the advice 🙏🏽

·
Registered
741 Posts
I carry a driver golf club. Even before Archie I carried it, because I’m petrified of dogs.

• Wow
Reactions: Sankari

·
Registered
99 Posts
Pit bulls when in attack mode have been bred apparently to ignore pain so they keep attacking and the pepper gel can make them even want to attack more. My golden has been attacked several times by pit bulls. I also carry a dog air horn, but again have not tested it on a pit bull yet. There are shock sticks, but if the batteries wear down, not going to do much, or get a rechargeable shock stick and hope it holds the charge and you can zap them, and hope the pit doesn't keep attacking. Also told to carry an umbrella, if dog is charging to open the umbrella but pit bulls are so strong they probably go thru the umbrella. But there are steal security steel umbrellas made with a steel pole, so you can stab at the pit bull and the steel will not bend under the pressure of an attacking pit bull.
Seems to protect your dog, need all these things, and no way to carry them all and walk a dog, so I carry different ones, don't know what will work the best with each situation and the aggression coming after your dog. Unfortunately it is hard to find a safe place to walk, sooner or later, run into an off leash attacking pit, or one running at large, or ran out the front door or ran out of the garage, or backed out of the collar, or the owner too weak to hold the pit. Parents let young teenagers walk powerful aggressive pits that they do not have the strength to hold on to when the pit wants to attack so it pulls free and the teenager too scared to pull the attacking dog off.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Seems to protect your dog, need all these things, and no way to carry them all and walk a dog, so I carry different ones, don't know what will work the best with each situation and the aggression coming after your dog.
I only carry two things, you didn't mention either one but they will work best in every situation involving a dog attacking my dogs or myself. One is a handgun and the other is very sharp.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Another concern I always have when thinking of using bear spray or any chemical deterrent is how to keep my dog from being hit also. When being attacked, assuming you have your dog on lead, letting your dog lose, is not a good idea as many dogs would then fight the attacking dog to protect you, if nothing else. Breaking up a real dog fight is almost impossible without a firehose. To use a large walking stick or other stick type object, you have to be able to use it to stop the approaching dog and keep it at a distance using the tip of the stick. In most cases a pit bull would blow through the stick, and you again have a dog fight to deal with.

Bottom, line if you have a pit bull or even a large dog problem, that is out and able to attack you and your pup, it is best you go elsewhere to walk your dog until the police can deal with the problemed dog and owner. Or you could bring a shotgun and shoot the dog coming in... of course then you go to jail...probably not a good idea, but you will have taken care of the neighborhood dog problem.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I only carry two things, you didn't mention either one but they will work best in every situation involving a dog attacking my dogs or myself. One is a handgun and the other is very sharp.
I like the way you think, but I prefer shotguns as you don't have to be a great shot and you can make a long shot with a fairly good chance of taking down the offending dog. I am not that good with a handgun. A sharp object would probably solve the problem, but your pup and you both would suffer some bites and wounds prior to dispatching the offending attack dog.

·
Super Moderator
396 Posts
Thankfully I have not run in to such issues, but if it were a problem, I’d be bringing option one along with me.
Or you could bring a shotgun and shoot the dog coming in... of course then you go to jail...probably not a good idea, but you will have taken care of the neighborhood dog problem.
Obviously you’d be in big trouble for shooting an oncoming dog, but I think it should totally be fair game if the dog actually attacks. And certainly a handgun would be the choice tool for such close proximity.

If only one dog is going to make it home, it’ll be mine.

·
Registered
Ramses
247 Posts

I don't think foreigners can carry a gun in the US.. no? 😬 I think with resident permits for myself it will be strict. I have a license in Norway because we have some need in the event of polar bears but this has not happened in my time here.. I also don't think my license can be transferred.... what's the other sharp item??

This seems so complex!!! I was initially thinking of starting with the pepper spray option....But with all the comments here I am starting to hope that I will not be living near any pitbulls!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I don't think foreigners can carry a gun in the US.. no? 😬 I think with resident permits for myself it will be strict. I have a license in Norway because we have some need in the event of polar bears but this has not happened in my time here.. I also don't think my license can be transferred.... what's the other sharp item??

This seems so complex!!! I was initially thinking of starting with the pepper spray option....But with all the comments here I am starting to hope that I will not be living near any pitbulls!
Sankari,
Many of us Americans, say things or write things, that are a little bit of a joke, with just a little bit of truth thrown in. I personally, have never been approached by a Pitbull and I don't personally know anyone who has. They are out there, but do to very strict laws, those who own them must be very careful not to allow them to attack any other dogs or people. So don't take all we write as Gospel, some is story telling or worse...of course I can only speak for myself...

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I prefer shotguns as you don't have to be a great shot and you can make a long shot with a fairly good chance of taking down the offending dog.
What are the chances that you would you be carrying a shotgun when you needed it for defense?
Obviously you’d be in big trouble for shooting an oncoming dog, but I think it should totally be fair game if the dog actually attacks.
Or you could bring a shotgun and shoot the dog coming in... of course then you go to jail...probably not a good idea
Where I live, I can shoot anything or anyone if there is a threat of serious bodily injury or death.

• Love
Reactions: 3goldens2keep

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I personally, have never been approached by a Pitbull and I don't personally know anyone who has.
I was about a year ago by a Pitbull mix. The dog stopped about 10 feet from my dogs and I and was aggressive. My dogs were sitting beside me. I held their collars with one hand. My other hand was on my handgun and I would have killed "Rosco" if he had moved any closer. His idiot owner was oblivious to the fact that he nearly lost his dog.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts