Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed recently my 2 yr old's back teeth are getting yellow :( she no longer gets bully sticks since I think that caused her tummy probs.

nylabone, antlers she will play with but loses interest now

I tried giving a raw knuckle bone and marrow bone but she just licked it and nibbled on the cartilage with her front teeth. Also tried a raw a cow hoof recently but she just looked at me like ***? I need something to get her to chew using the back teeth.

I'm anti rawhide and pig ears... open to raw bones but not sure which are the easist to start with. Any recommendations greatly appreciated! :wave:

I also try to brush her teeth at least twice a week.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,

I used to give our dog the carrot flavour edible Nylabones - they're quite tough so they have to use their back teeth to break them up and chew them, but they don't splinter like bones can. If you want to try something like this but your dog isn't that interested, you could always coat them in gravy or whatever other flavours your dog might like (tomato seems a favourite). Not giving rawhide chews or pigs ears is *definitely* a good idea though, especially with retrievers tending to be so prone to stomach upsets.

I used to clean my dog's teeth most days, but just with water as the toothpaste tended to foam up too much even though it was designed for dogs. He always got a small chew treat at the end so there was something to look forward to, and once you get into a routine it's soon done - if you do it regularly enough, you shouldn't need to spend too long anyway. If you can, schedule the teeth brushing towards the end of the day so that the teeth are nice and clean through the night when bacteria has the best chance of spreading. I think choice of diet is also quite an important factor - have you changed anything recently? Wet foods tend to exacerbate the problem, so you might just need to brush your dog's teeth more often to counteract this. I wouldn't advocate changing the diet just to stop the problem with the teeth getting plaqued up though.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Raw chicken leg? I used to give my Chihuahua one a week as a treat and now at 5 years old, her teeth are just now starting to turn yellow

1 - 4 of 4 Posts