Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think is the best vacuum for the hair? We need a new one but not sure if the Dyson Animal is the right way to go or not!

Next it would be nice to get hardwood floors LOL But that isn't in the near future!

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
We love our Oreck XL. We have had it for almost 6 years now and it's still going strong. It's great on pet hair. I also love the handheld vacuum that came with it. We use it on our furniture and cars.

·
Registered
159 Posts
We have had the Dyson Animal for a couple of years & I LOVE IT!! It almost killed me to spend that much on a vacuum but it was worth every penny! We have never had a problem with it, I clean out the filters & cut the hair off the spinning brush (no idea what that thing is called!) about every 6 months. We have never had it lose suction just like it says. We got it when we had our boxer & it grabbed those short hairs right out of the furniture. Now with Sam it does a great job on both hardwoods & carpet. I now brush & "furminate" Sam in the carpeted hallway because I got tired of chasing that bundles of hair around the yard when I brushed him outside. I use the vacuum to clean up the carpet & get all the hair off of me & it's never clogged up.

The only downfall I see to this vacuum is that it's too tall to reach under the kitchen cabinets; we have to use the wand. Also it's pretty heavy going up and down the stairs.

All in all it's a great vacuum! I would spend the big money to get it again...& I'm pretty cheap :)

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I use a Simplicity Freedom F3600.

http://www.simplicityvac.com/products/uprights/Freedom/SpecsheetF3600Pop.asp

It is a lightweight (around 8 pounds) vacuum designed to compete with the Oreck's. It is more powerful than the Oreck's IIRC.

It always gets very good reviews on Consumer Reports.

It is EXTREMELY powerful and easy to use. The handle design is wonderful.

It is a bag vacuum, and hepa-type bags are available for it if you need that.

It is NOT cheap. They run around $400.

I will never, ever, under any circumstances, own another bagless vacuum.

It out-performs the Animal in every test I've read.

Downsides:

1. It ain't quiet :)
2. I think edge cleaning could be better.

Dog hair is no problem. You can be on the main level using it, and it will suck up the hair from the basement floor at the same time :) Well, not really, but close!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts