Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, it is still a ways off until I get my pup but I am nothing if not an over planner so trying to start reading up now! Any recommendations for good training books? Doesn't have to be specific to golden retrievers but of course great if it is 馃 This will be my first puppy, we adopted our previous dog when she was 1 and she was very well behaved off the bat so kind of starting from scratch here. Just want to go in as informed as possible on how to best train my dog, I am so impressed by posts I see here regarding training and of course want to be the best dog parent I can be but feel like a major amateur. Definitely will attend training classes as well but am wanting to prepare for the at home aspect since I know that has a major impact. Thank you in advance!

Registered
I love "Your Golden Retriever Puppy: Month by Month". It's not strictly a training book but does have some training in it.

Kristy
Here's a link to a bunch of threads on this. You're VERY smart to read now while you have time.

Life With Rune on Facebook is fantastic https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=life of rune - backtrack to the very beginning and see all the things she does, it's a wonderful resource.
Sound Beginnings DVD by Jackie Mertens
Control Unleashed for Puppies
TOtal Recall
Calming Signals by Tuurid Rugaas
Use these previous threads to make a list:

The search feature on this forum is pretty good. It will bring up all previous threads on ANY subject you enter. There is not a single topic you can come up with that hasn't been touched on multiple times over the years. The resources from past years when we had a TON of very experienced breeders and training people here are amazing. Learn as much as you can now :)

Registered
Golden's for Dummies...by Nona Bauer

You may have to find a used one, but they are really a great book for starting a new puppy out correctly....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts