Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had multiple people ask me why I want a Golden Retriever. Other than the obvious and generic notion that Goldens are "great with children," I've said they're friendly, love being with people, and biddable--if one trains them well and properly, of course.

Any other comments on the breed? Why do you love Goldens? For those of you who've had both male and female Goldens, and Goldens with very different personalities, what are some of the fairly "typical" characteristics that keep you coming back to this particular breed?

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
I lucked into a Golden by way of my then young daughter's broken arm, Daddy's promise of making it all better by getting her a puppy, and a friend who happened to have a litter of what we were told were Lab puppies.

My only experience with Goldens prior to Sam (my heart dog and canine soul mate waiting at the Bridge) was on TV and in books...which was that they were gorgeous and uber friendly. (Which is TRUE):)

Well, the pups were not Labs at all, they were Goldens, and I'll never be owned by another breed...and yes I mean owned. They steal your heart. Sam was mellow, loving, smart, loyal, obedient, happy, and so much more. We have Ike now and he was a much more active puppy than Sam, which I've learned is the norm, but he's every bit as willing, loyal, happy, loving, and we're working on 'calm'. He's my happy Nut Pup and he leaves us with a perpetual smile on our face. He's my best friend every bit as much as Sam was and I feel blessed to have both in my life.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
I think the best thing about this breed is its utter joyfulness, love of life and everyone in it.

They are friendly, have gentle souls, and love to make their people happy.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I think the best thing about this breed is its utter joyfulness, love of life and everyone in it.

They are friendly, have gentle souls, and love to make their people happy.

That pretty much sums it up. They're just happy, fluffy bundles of love. :)

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
What I like best, after the utter joyfullness and extreme goofy/loving personality mentioned above, is their genuine desire to please their people. I have yet to find a dog more focused on doing whatever trick or behavior they have to do to get an "atta boy" and a cookie. That is why I will never have anything but a golden.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I love how happy BaWaaJige is all the time. Life is a party. He is super smart and super sweet. I am so happy that I went with the Golden.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
This our first Golden. I think what I'm enjoying most is the absolute lack of aggression and meanness. He's just a sweet lovable boy.

We fostered a dog before him that had some aggression issues. It's like night and day. Our other dog is a little Spaniel who who is similar in temperament to a Golden. I don't like being around dogs that want to be alpha--so I have two that don't!

·
Finley's pop
51 Posts
In my experience, with very few exceptions, a Golden views every day as the greatest day ever -- and I found that attitude infectious. Our boy lifted my spirits when they were low just by being him -- and reminded me that things just aren't that bad.

·
Teddy and Dakota's Mommy
493 Posts
I love how intuitive Dakota is. She is my first Golden and I love my Teddy but she knows when I am sad and needs her near me and she knows when I am happy and can have some time alone. It amazes me how she just knows. She is my big bear rug.

·
Dog Lover for Life
220 Posts
I love Goldens because they love to please, the sun is always shineing on their backs and they are so into their people. On walks Bogart instead of greeting dogs goes right to the people to say hi. (Mostly people and dogs we meet almost every day and we know each other). I have cold since Friday I took the Boys on our daily walk on our off leash dog trail and Bogart would walk 10' ahead of me and always look back at me. He knew I wasn't feeling good. I didn't have to call him at all he just stuck with me. Cooper is the pup and still needs more attention when off leash but both were very good.
Then at home we snuggled up on the couch and Cooper snuggled right into my arm. Bogart was at my foot end. All three of us took this wonderful nap.
Cooper wasn't bitey or goofy just quiet and nice.
Oh Goldens are the best Nurses ever!:)

·
and Luvtazz too
509 Posts
I love everything about them...their eyes, ears and noses. They are very child like...love to play, INSIST on playing, and love to be loved. Would not be without a golden.

·
Princess Muddy Paws
44 Posts
Goldens are like furry people. My other dogs have personalities too, but they are more like "dogs".

·
Registered
277 Posts
a golden was actually not my first choice, when i'd finally convinced my boyfriend how much i really wanted a puppy. a friend of mine told me about a friend of hers who had a litter and that i should check them out. the moment i stepped out of the car and saw her unbelievably adorable face poking over the pen she was in i was in love. i would not trade her for the world. she is the most loyal and joyful friend i could ever ask for. after a very rough summer, i can truly say that she was my inspiration through my tough time with her ever present smile and overall comforting personality. i can truly say my golden's love is unconditional =)

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Goldens are big enough to cause a "person thinking of doing bad" to hesitate. They seem to read our moods and adjust, they awake with a smile and try so hard to Talk to you with a toy in their mouth. They are content to play the day away or snuggle by your side and sleep the afternoon through. They are childlike in their love of other people and greet everyone as a long lost family member recently found. They wear their hearts in their eyes and constantly give unconditional love, yet will puff up and omit a very threatening sound if they feel their family is in danger. They will go into the thickest brush or swim a long way for a fallen bird, yet bring you a undamaged, soggy kitten and drop it at your feet. They will share with you their most prized rock and proudly strutt around the yard with their favorite toy. They cry with you and yet will twirl, butt wag and barrel you over with their joy. To a small child they will drop to their bellies to be at their level, but stand solid and strong to support an older person or the disabled. I have watched senior citizens pet a golden and cry for the love they give freely.

Just think if you take all this then it is no wonder why we think Goldens are the best!

·
Abbie and Saffy's Daddy
387 Posts
Oh where to start? All of the above is, of course, true.

But, for me, one of the things that would most set Abbie (as a Golden) apart from other dogs I have known would be her Golden Lean. There are times, of course, when she is happy to sleep/lie down/relax on her own, but more often than not, she needs to be in contact with me or my wife and often it's just that subtle contact that is that bit more special - hard to describe, I wonder if anyone else feels this?

Saffy will jump up and lie right next to me, so her whole body is in contact with my leg that is on the sofa, but with Abbie, she'll have a paw, or her head on me, or be lying slightly on my foot. I'm all up for a full-on hug from either dog, but Abbie just seems to be more thoughtful and careful/gentle - and it just comes naturally.

Abbie used to Lean as a puppy and it was just 'cute', but I think the real beauty of the Lean is when they are full-grown adult dogs - Abbie just pushes her whole body into us, but it's still so subtle and gentle, it is a joy to receive. She loves to bury her head under miine - it's like she is saying "I love you" or "Thank you".

·
Registered
586 Posts
Goldens are big enough to cause a "person thinking of doing bad" to hesitate. They seem to read our moods and adjust, they awake with a smile and try so hard to Talk to you with a toy in their mouth. They are content to play the day away or snuggle by your side and sleep the afternoon through. They are childlike in their love of other people and greet everyone as a long lost family member recently found. They wear their hearts in their eyes and constantly give unconditional love, yet will puff up and omit a very threatening sound if they feel their family is in danger. They will go into the thickest brush or swim a long way for a fallen bird, yet bring you a undamaged, soggy kitten and drop it at your feet. They will share with you their most prized rock and proudly strutt around the yard with their favorite toy. They cry with you and yet will twirl, butt wag and barrel you over with their joy. To a small child they will drop to their bellies to be at their level, but stand solid and strong to support an older person or the disabled. I have watched senior citizens pet a golden and cry for the love they give freely.

Just think if you take all this then it is no wonder why we think Goldens are the best!
So WELL SAID! I have had three goldens--each with it's own unique personality, yet all with the same amazing traits. I wouldn't even consider another breed.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Me either!

·
Registered
581 Posts
I think the best thing about goldens is probably their neediness. Most of them really love to be around people and thrive on giving and receiving affection, and playing. It makes them happy. Some other dog breeds have those traits as well, but to lesser extents. Some people find it to be a little much, but for those of us who want an extremely companionable dog who's going to be in our faces, goldens are a great fit.

I also think their size is a plus. They're not a small foo-foo type dog that seems fragile or a big person looks ridiculous walking, but they are not of overwhelming size the way a Great Dane or something is. It also makes for a good balance in terms of giving those of us who need exercise a solid reason for taking more walks and such, but not being too far beyond our capacity the way Siberian Huskies and such might be in terms of exercise requirements.

You also get basically a traditional dog type look with a golden, similar to a Labrador or whatever in some ways. Nothing too radical like a squished face or whatever. I like that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts