Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During these lovely economical hardships, we are looking to save money just as much as the next person. We are out of our K9 Advantix and Heartguard, and I am doing research on the best prices... where do you buy your meds? Dr Fosters and Smith seems like the best online price, plus free shipping on orders over $49. What would you recommend? Dr F & S have heartguard for $36 for a 6 pack.

Also, we used K9 Advantix, but most of these sites only sell K9 Adavantix ll. After reading different posts on here, I would like to avoid K9 A2 because of the added chemicals. Do you know where I can find the original? And is there a major difference in Advantix and Advantage?

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Someone (Sallys Mom or Iowa Gold) did a chart so you could compare all the different flea and worm preventatives. Maybe someone else can find it, but I think it is a sticky in the Health forum.
If there is an all in one product that you like, it might save money over buying two different products.
I sometimes delay the flea preventatives through the winter months. Also, my vet told me you can stretch the heartworm preventatives out a little longer than once a month (I believe he said it must be given at least once every 42 days-or 6 weeks but no longer than this to keep the life cycle from being completed if they were to get bitten by a mosquito carrying the heartworm parasite). I never want to go the full 42 days, so mark 35 days on my calendar and I still have a week leeway in case I am a little late.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Someone (Sallys Mom or Iowa Gold) did a chart so you could compare all the different flea and worm preventatives. Maybe someone else can find it, but I think it is a sticky in the Health forum.
If there is an all in one product that you like, it might save money over buying two different products.
I sometimes delay the flea preventatives through the winter months. Also, my vet told me you can stretch the heartworm preventatives out a little longer than once a month (I believe he said it must be given at least once every 42 days-or 6 weeks but no longer than this to keep the life cycle from being completed if they were to get bitten by a mosquito carrying the heartworm parasite). I never want to go the full 42 days, so mark 35 days on my calendar and I still have a week leeway in case I am a little late.
Oh wow this is awesome thank you! I was going to ask about prolonging the time frame for flea and HW meds; Tucker is hardly ever around other dogs especially now that it is getting cold. We havent been to the park in months, but its almost been 7 weeks since his last application. He is mostly indoors, minus play/exercise time or for walks

It looks like Advantage Multi would be the best way to go, according to that fabulous spreadsheet. It would save us so much $

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you checked out Revival and KV Vet?

Pet Supplies from Revival Animal Health

Pet Meds | Dog Supplies | Pet Supplies | Pet Products | Pet Supply

They usually have great prices, and fast shipping as well.

I'm not sure that K9Advantix is available any more-it all seems to be the II :( I've used it with no problems.
These sites will come in handy for sure, thank you!! I think I am leaning toward Advantage Multi, and I think $79 seems about the going rate.. Do you guys flea/heartworm thru the winter months?

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Please keep in mind that if you buy HW preventive from a 3rd party site and not your veterinarian, the HW manufacturers will not pay for treatment should your dog contract the disease. I'd never get my HW preventive from anyone other than the veterinary clinic, just in case the 3rd party site gets counterfeit medications. You also don't know how the meds were stored before you get them. Were they stored in a warehouse with no air conditioning or in freezing conditions that could mean the medication is compromised? You do know the medications were handled properly if you get it from the veterinarian. Ask your vet if they will price match. You can then print out the best price you find and they match it in-clinic.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I was going to post something about this, too. It might not be cheaper, but you have no idea where these places are getting these preventatives. The companies only sell to licensed vets and clinics. I have told this to clients many times to beware these places as they will not cover your pet if they do contract HW. My vet clinic personally never interacts with these companies either. We give a script to the client and they can either fax or mail it to the companies. It is really annoying when these companies start calling us about it.

Please keep in mind that if you buy HW preventive from a 3rd party site and not your veterinarian, the HW manufacturers will not pay for treatment should your dog contract the disease. I'd never get my HW preventive from anyone other than the veterinary clinic, just in case the 3rd party site gets counterfeit medications. You also don't know how the meds were stored before you get them. Were they stored in a warehouse with no air conditioning or in freezing conditions that could mean the medication is compromised? You do know the medications were handled properly if you get it from the veterinarian. Ask your vet if they will price match. You can then print out the best price you find and they match it in-clinic.

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,645 Posts

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I have been buying my HW prevention from Drs. F & S for some time now without any problems. My Vet clinic is extremely high on all their medications and they do not Price Match.

Here is a link to Drs. F & S's HW guarantee:

Drs. Foster & Smith Pharmacy guarantees all of the prescription heartworm preventives they sell

Their Pharmacy Accreditation info:
Our pet pharmacy is proud to have received Vet-VIPPS accreditation!
Do they ship them in temperature protected shipping boxes to guarantee they don't get too hot or too cold while in transit? After enduring 70+ days of 100+ degree temperatures I worry about anything in a UPS or Fed Ex Truck--temperatures are easily in the mid to upper 100s and if you get a delivery on a Monday at 6 p.m.--that means those meds were most likely sitting in an unairconditioned delivery vehicle for an entire weekend and then a full day before reaching your doorstep. No thanks. :no: Our vet takes steps to insure their meds come to them at the proper temperatures. With medications like Heartworm and vaccines I like that care and attention, because my dog's health/life is at stake.

BTW, I am now the same way about our human medications we get from our mail order pharmacy and they are now shipping them packed in dry ice for that very reason.

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,645 Posts
Do they ship them in temperature protected shipping boxes to guarantee they don't get too hot or too cold while in transit? After enduring 70+ days of 100+ degree temperatures I worry about anything in a UPS or Fed Ex Truck--temperatures are easily in the mid to upper 100s and if you get a delivery on a Monday at 6 p.m.--that means those meds were most likely sitting in an unairconditioned delivery vehicle for an entire weekend and then a full day before reaching your doorstep. No thanks. :no: Our vet takes steps to insure their meds come to them at the proper temperatures. With medications like Heartworm and vaccines I like that care and attention, because my dog's health/life is at stake.

BTW, I am now the same way about our human medications we get from our mail order pharmacy and they are now shipping them packed in dry ice for that very reason.
Not sure about that-you'd probably have to contact them and ask. I would think their shipping proceedures wouldn't be any different from when meds are shipped directly to a Vet, similiar to how human meds are shipped to Drs. Clinics, hospitals, pharmacies, etc.

Your temps are more extreme than what we have here on the Coast. I've never had any problems with any of the meds I've ordered through Drs. F & S yet. They are shipped via FedEx.

Since your Vet will price match meds, that's something you don't have to deal with. My clinic has anywhere from a 20-50% markup. It's the only Vet Clinic within a 25 mile radius one way.......... I don't have a lot of options.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
All I'm pointing out is to try other options through your vet first because then it's easier for everyone if there is an issue.

The temperature control on items shipped across the country and from other countries--I think this will become a concern in the coming few years. It's certainly on the radar of pharmacies and mail orders here to Texas. When a whole batch of antibiotics don't work for a region or area, I think it will get more attention by the governmental authorities. Most of these medications have temperature ranges to maintain quality. I know our mail order pharmacy is taking it seriously now.

I called KV Vets last summer to discuss how they store their products and they assured me their warehouses were temperature controlled and a few weeks in the hot sun in transport wouldn't affect the medication I was concerned about--a thyroid supplement. That's all fine and well, but I decided to reorder when temperatures cooled off here at least, because they were not going to send them in a temperature controlled box. I'd have the exact same concerns if some medications were kept in freezing temperatures.

To the OP, just be aware of where you order things from and certainly don't order from someone off of Craigs List or ebay--you have no idea what those items have been subjected to or even if they are legitimate.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you everyone for your input! I definitely would order from an accredited site, and DG you make a great point about delivery times and climates. UPS always comes after 6pm here. It hasnt gotten above 60 degrees the past two weeks, so I wouldnt have to worry about the products getting too hot. We have ordered from online in the past, because just like others mentioned, our vet is insanely expensive. We do have a feed store here that sells holistic dog foods and I am pretty sure they sell Advantage and Advantix, for around $60. Would that be a suitable alternative?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You always bring up such great points, DG! I should ask about price match, good thinking..!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts