Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I figure I want to find a trainer now, checked out their classes, have a conversation or two about their training philosophy, so when I get my dog, I'm ready...

I am looking for a dog trainer in Santa Rosa, CA, which is in Northern California.

Does anyone know of someone? Any suggestions on how I should go about finding a trainer?

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I found mine through friends that do agility and obedience. From there I found other trainers. I also found a wonderful trainer via my hairdresser. Just start asking around and network. Go to shows, ask your vet, groomer and friends that have taken classes. Contact your local clubs they sometimes have classes. Networking and talking to other dog people will give you ideas of where to start and who to avoid.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, I was thinking there would be some website or forum where good trainers hang out.

·
Super Moderator
4,260 Posts
I had a hard time finding what I wanted on the internet. I asked fellow club members whom they would recommend, got 3 or 4 names, and settled on the trainer who had owned a golden.

·
Kate
21,688 Posts
I think it really depends on your goals?

I usually start with the list on barkbytes.com

That's what I went by when Jacks was a puppy and my old instructor retired 2 weeks before we were supposed to start puppy classes. o_O

·
Premium Member
18,421 Posts
You could contact the Golden rescue near you and ask if they have a trainer they use or recommend for your area.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think it really depends on your goals?

I usually start with the list on barkbytes.com

That's what I went by when Jacks was a puppy and my old instructor retired 2 weeks before we were supposed to start puppy classes. o_O
I just want to have an activity to do with my dog...and meet more dog people. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts