Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Think of a place you have lived that really met all (well, ok, lots of) your needs.
Where was it? What made it so great?

·
Matt
235 Posts
I've always lived in Kentucky and Indiana, but i'll cheat and say Washington State. I spent a week near Tacoma when I was 17 visiting family and I could see myself living there. Big enough city for me, but still LOTS of nature. Mt. Rainer was amazing.

Sadly it'll never happen since my fiancee well never live more then a days drive from her mom...:(

·
Kate
21,216 Posts

I was thinking of this... probably not the answer you were looking for.

I have family all over the midwest from Chicago and down to Louisville and St. Louis and I've gone camping down in Ohio and Indiana in summers growing up and out to Connecticut and New Hampshire for my brother's summer camps. And of course we've been down to Florida too. We've driven through a lot of the states between here and there and have seen a lot of GOOD things about them.

Heh. And the one thing I can say about all of those places is while I enjoyed being there, I couldn't wait to get back home to Michigan. I'm a Michigander through and through. :)

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I really miss Arizona. I was born and raised in Phoenix and love the desert and the mountains. With my kids and grands here in TX and North Carolina, I don't see ever moving back.... sadly.

·
Kimberley, Bella's Mum!
1,002 Posts
Fun Question!

I really wish I could live on Coronado Island, CA (San Diego)~ and this is how it would fit ALL my needs:

1) Beach Access
2) Quaint & Charming town
3) Historical
4) Small
5) Home Town feel, yet a bridge/boat ride to a major city with all it's wonderful offerings: sports teams, museums, zoo, amusement parks, cultural events.
6) A place to ride my beach cruiser bike as much as I want to
7) Live Theater
8) Lovely old/historical homes
9) Lively resort town feel
10) Short drive to all the other wonderful S. Cal beach towns!
11) Could go to Hotel Del Coronado whenever I want to
12) Outdoor concerts in the park
13) Wonderful small town parades
14) Running events (although I don't run much anymore these days--bad knees)
15) GREAT weather!

Sorry! I know this isn't your question....

I've lived in:
Green Bay, Wi (grew up)
Austin, TX
Park City, UT (loved it, but Salt Lake City wasn't that great, prefer a bigger nearby city)
Paradise Valley, AZ (Scottsdale) Wasn't fond of it- other than the shopping and dining.
Highland Park, TX (Dallas) I like it specifically because of Highland Park. This little area has some of the similar things that Coronado Island has- except the beach and great weather. Soooooooo, I guess Highland Park, TX would have to be my answer. :D

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
Greenville, SC. Loved the weather, the people (this was back in the 70's and early 80's) and the location. I could be in the mountains in less than an hour, the ocean in about 3 hours and Atlanta in about the same time frame. The weather was wonderful with very little snow or ice in the winter. I really miss it :(

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Oklahoma City...people think I'm nuts, but I'm in the military and lived in various states and countries abroad--Oklahoma will be my home once I retire. Any extended leave I get, I always head back there to get my fix, I swear as soon as I cross the Missouri border into Oklahoma, it's like the clouds part & the sun comes out. I got my start in golden rescue there & the friendliness of the people is unmatched IMO.

·
aka Sam =)
4,971 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIjI1-H2Q80 Heh. And the one thing I can say about all of those places is while I enjoyed being there, I couldn't wait to get back home to Michigan. I'm a Michigander through and through. :)
I'm right there with you on this one. I LOVE to travel and I've enjoyed a lot of places. My favorites have been Tennessee, North Carolina, Hawaii, the Florida Keys and Ireland. But at the end of every trip, I'm more than ready to come home to Michigan. There's just something about it that no other state can beat.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I spent a lot of years in Tucson, AZ. It is surrounded by mountains and desert, so hiking and biking are year around. I left because it was growing too fast. A lot of the beauty was lost in the overdevelopment. Still, I've been back a couple of times and been amazed at how much beauty is still there.

I spent three years in San Francisco - which I enjoyed at the time because it is such an interesting and walkable city. I could take a bus to the trails in Marin county or just wander the hills of town. Left because of too many people and especially the homeless issue. I got tired of having crazies threaten me.

I would love to live in Colorado. It's too expensive for me, and way too crowded, but that state has the combination of natural beauty, good climate and year around outdoor activities that really appeals to me. Utah does too, at lower cost, but the towns I've visited don't appeal quite as much. I like the towns of Montana, and the mountains, but winter just lasts too long. I don't do well with prolonged gray skies. I really need sunshine.

·
Premium Member
16,405 Posts
I've lived in New Haven CT, Culver Indiana, Hamilton New York, Longboat Key Florida,Pomfret CT, Denver,CO and Falmouth/Portland Maine. I do think Portland has it all- great restaurants, free beaches, mountains, music, arts. . . , as long as you can take the winter, lol.

I am curious about Asheville, and I adore Ithaca, NY. Another place I like is Flagstaff.

Reactions: lgnutah

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Fun Question!

I really wish I could live on Coronado Island, CA (San Diego)~ and this is how it would fit ALL my needs:

1) Beach Access
2) Quaint & Charming town
3) Historical
4) Small
5) Home Town feel, yet a bridge/boat ride to a major city with all it's wonderful offerings: sports teams, museums, zoo, amusement parks, cultural events.
6) A place to ride my beach cruiser bike as much as I want to
7) Live Theater
8) Lovely old/historical homes
9) Lively resort town feel
10) Short drive to all the other wonderful S. Cal beach towns!
11) Could go to Hotel Del Coronado whenever I want to
12) Outdoor concerts in the park
13) Wonderful small town parades
14) Running events (although I don't run much anymore these days--bad knees)
15) GREAT weather!

Sorry! I know this isn't your question....

I've lived in:
Green Bay, Wi (grew up)
Austin, TX
Park City, UT (loved it, but Salt Lake City wasn't that great, prefer a bigger nearby city)
Paradise Valley, AZ (Scottsdale) Wasn't fond of it- other than the shopping and dining.
Highland Park, TX (Dallas) I like it specifically because of Highland Park. This little area has some of the similar things that Coronado Island has- except the beach and great weather. Soooooooo, I guess Highland Park, TX would have to be my answer. :D
Wanna retire to Coronado Island with us?? We'd love to live there, but alas, that isn't in the cards because we cannot afford it..:( maybe we could get a golden retriever commune going on a tiny plot of land.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
Born, and raised in indiana, lived in illinois, ala., lewiston me. dover nh., the past 30yrs. in eliot maine, of those places maine, is the most beautifull, if you can afford it, but on travels, i love santa fe.,also england loved living over there.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to all who commented. So far, I think Michigan, Oklahoma and San Diego are the winners? (I may not have counted exactly)
Anyone else?
I have lived in lots of different places-for anywhere from 3 months to 32 years-ranging from southern Ca (Santa Barbara, Santa Ana, Laguna Beach), nothern Ca (Pleasanton, Livermore), northern Utah (Logan), New York (Troy), Iowa (Ames), Connecticut (New London), Virginia (Hampton/Newport News), and now South Carolina (Clemson, Central and Aiken) and
I have actually enjoyed every place I have lived!

·
Registered
12,720 Posts
I lived in Montreal - born and raised and more than 30 years there - but lived one year of my childhood in Berkeley, California. Now I live in Toronto.

I loved, loved, loved Berkeley. Would probably say that was my favourite (though I never lived there as an adult). I definitely choose Toronto over Montreal for its size, walkability, public transport, bike trails, friendliness... I could go on...

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
I have to say that I think I live in one of the best places on earth. Maryland has the ocean and great beaches, the Chesapeake Bay which is the sailing capital of the world & great fishing, mountains for summer camping and winter skiing, fully experiences the change of season (which I think I love the most), and is near to major cities for those who enjoy a vibrant lifestyle, while far enough away from the hectic pace of DC/Baltimore to enjoy a quiet country life too.
The only thing Maryland doesn't have? A desert...but no one has it all. :)

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I have always lived in either Iowa or Lincoln, Nebraska. I love Lincoln except for the weather. We wish all the time that we could set our lot somewhere by Estes Park CO. We have spent every vacation there our entire lives. I love the weather, scenery, atmosphere : everything but the cost of living.
So I guess I have accepted that I will never live there (especially if the stick market keeps plunging!) But at least it is somewhat close (500 miles) and my daughter lives in Denver. : )

·
Registered
490 Posts
I've always lived in Kentucky and Indiana, but i'll cheat and say Washington State. I spent a week near Tacoma when I was 17 visiting family and I could see myself living there. Big enough city for me, but still LOTS of nature. Mt. Rainer was amazing.

Sadly it'll never happen since my fiancee well never live more then a days drive from her mom...:(
haha I feel your pain. When we firt got married, my wife would call her mother 3-4 times aday. It made me so annoyed but we kept working on it. Now they have a much healthier relationship.

·
Hi, I'm Wendee
1,733 Posts
I spent a lot of years in Tucson, AZ. It is surrounded by mountains and desert, so hiking and biking are year around. I left because it was growing too fast. A lot of the beauty was lost in the overdevelopment. Still, I've been back a couple of times and been amazed at how much beauty is still there.

I spent three years in San Francisco - which I enjoyed at the time because it is such an interesting and walkable city. I could take a bus to the trails in Marin county or just wander the hills of town. Left because of too many people and especially the homeless issue. I got tired of having crazies threaten me.

I would love to live in Colorado. It's too expensive for me, and way too crowded, but that state has the combination of natural beauty, good climate and year around outdoor activities that really appeals to me. Utah does too, at lower cost, but the towns I've visited don't appeal quite as much. I like the towns of Montana, and the mountains, but winter just lasts too long. I don't do well with prolonged gray skies. I really need sunshine.
A lot of people think that all of Colorado is expensive, but the area of Colorado I live in was just named number 2 as one of the lower cost of living places to live. I live in southern colorado about 30 miles south of Pueblo. The population in my town is only about 2000 people and you can see greenhorn mountain right out my window. So there may be a place for you in Colorado that's just right. Here is a link to the article. 10 U.S. Cities With the Lowest Cost of Living

Here is a pic of the mountain that I see from my house. This was taken at the golf course 5 minutes from me.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Prior to moving to the Seattle area 25 years ago, My husband and I lived in Ketchum Idaho- 5 minutes from SunValley. A great mountain town- we owned a home in the national forest and rented the land. We lived there 10 years- in fact, my husband and I met there and got married there. We lived the real mountain lifestyle- cross country skied right out our front door- fishing just down the road in near by ponds and rivers. Lots of snow- feet and feet of snow. At the time we had two Irish Setters who were always getting into trouble. Chasing elk( not good...) or the neighbors cows....not good either. It was a real experience... good we were young then and could keep up in 40 degree BELOW ZERO weather. I am a city girl now and need TV and shopping to keep me happy- not the mountain life with no cable:)

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I've lived in three states, visited most of the others. But home will always be Oklahoma. We bought our lake house on the Oklahoma side of Texoma and think it is the smartest thing we did.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts