Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. First of all sorry for my english. I am from Europe ( Portugal ) and i have a question.
I have passed at least 4h30 searching in this excellent forum, wich could be the best food for my "small" baby. It's a male with 9 months now. He start loosing his hair one month ago, and now , more and more. I can see it all over the house and i brush it 2 or 3 times a day. So, my first thought was about the food. Then i start search in this forum best food for our babies, and then i get 200% confused. I have started feeding him with " NATUREA PUPPY ALL BREEDS" and 2 months ago i change to ORIJEN PUPPY LARGE. And now i saw that orijen is mayve not the best food for my dog, because i see almost everyone giving PURINA PROPLAN . So, can smeone help me and say if its better NATUREA - ORIJEN - PURINA PROPLAN

Thank you all in advance

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
You have to choose between the brands that are available to you locally. Realize that big business hater Jeff's gonna come on and post a
'who owns what' visual for you because he is afraid you can't discern this yourself. All three of your choices are good ones- just avoid grain free til the FDA determines WHY it is causing DCM. It may be nothing to do with the lack of grains but that is the common thread for the dogs with nutritional DCM. Best of luck. The hair loss has to do with his hormones, nothing to do with his food most likely. He's at the right age to totally blow coat.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hello
Don't apologize for your English my friend (it's way better than many natives in the USA)..
I only speak 2 languages myself..English and BAD English..LOL (Thank You Bruce Willis from the movie Fifth Element).

I hope that you have been able to consult your vet about the hair loss..it could be a lot of things besides the food, but a medical professional can offer proper advice, and hopefully get things sorted out.

As for the "best"..no such thing I am afraid. There are numerous opinions and you already know many problems.

Personally, I do not feed Purina (or Mars) anything, but that's me. In general, due to the DCM scare, I would suggest staying away from grain free foods in general until there is more information presented. I also refuse to feed anything that contains CORN, WHEAT, or SOY. I consider those cheap fillers that most dogs have problems digesting. If you read the bag, you will find the 1st 5 ingredients to look at CLOSELY. Those are the ingredients that carry the highest weightings (in the USA anyway). If you see fillers as above..find something else imo. Dogs are carnivores and want real meat!

You can also reach out to the manufactures on their web sites and ask questions. Those that skirt your questions should be avoided. Even though I have fed the same food for over 25 yrs, I religiously scan the contents of each new bag to make sure that things have not changed. I also have a tendency to judge a dog food company by the number of garbage foods that they sell. Garbage in..garbage out.

I was told that formulations differ from the USA products that are offered elsewhere, but I am NOT sure of that.

This chart should be of interest, as it unmasks just who makes what!
Best of luck with your choice!

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
My dog who is now 2.5years old has done really well on Purina Pro Plan Large Breed. He has a thick and soft coat and never been sick.

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,810 Posts
Hi. First of all sorry for my english. I am from Europe ( Portugal ) and i have a question.
I have passed at least 4h30 searching in this excellent forum, wich could be the best food for my "small" baby. It's a male with 9 months now. He start loosing his hair one month ago, and now , more and more. I can see it all over the house and i brush it 2 or 3 times a day. So, my first thought was about the food. Then i start search in this forum best food for our babies, and then i get 200% confused. I have started feeding him with " NATUREA PUPPY ALL BREEDS" and 2 months ago i change to ORIJEN PUPPY LARGE. And now i saw that orijen is mayve not the best food for my dog, because i see almost everyone giving PURINA PROPLAN . So, can smeone help me and say if its better NATUREA - ORIJEN - PURINA PROPLAN

Thank you all in advance
What brands of food are available in the country where you live?
Did your Vet recommend a food?

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,512 Posts
Filler are ingredients that have no nutritional value. That is not corn wheat or soy. All 3 have usable digestible nutrition. Fillers are things like powdered cellulose or peanut hulls, like used in Hill's science diet light foods to allow the dog to eat more but not absorb as many calories.

Soy, unless it's soy protein isolate, can inhibit some nutrient absorption. Wheat is the biggest issue with yeast in the ears and on the skin, it feeds the yeast (like other grains can but much more). Corn unless there is an actual allergy or sensitivity, offers far more nutrition then wheat or soy.

So there are reasons to feed and not feed corn wheat and soy. But they aren't fillers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts