Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Combination of both dry and raw

Votes: 1 12.5%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Ripley and Ned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a new golden puppy this winter, and was wanting to know opinions on what the best puppy food is/ what works best in your experiences?

My current Golden was on Science Diet when she came home at 8 weeks, but quickly became incredibly sick (turns out she is allergic to corn, which is a filler in most foods including Science Diet). We switched her to Blue Buffalo, which also didn't agree with her. We finally did a cold turkey switch to Canidae, which she liked and didn't cause her to have any issues. We have since found that Natural Balance, and Kirkland brand foods also agree with her. We generally buy Canidae, but will occasionally alternate between the three foods to prevent food boredom.

I was thinking I would try feeding the new puppy Canidae as well. After looking on dogfoodadvisor, I noticed that Kirkland sells a puppy formula, and it is highly rated. Does anyone have experience with this food? I have also considered feeding raw (for both my current girl, and new puppy), and would love input from those of you that feed raw! I am open to any and all suggestions. Just wanting to make sure that I am feeding this new puppy the healthiest food possible!

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
2,205 Posts
I am getting a new golden puppy this winter, and was wanting to know opinions on what the best puppy food is/ what works best in your experiences?

My current Golden was on Science Diet when she came home at 8 weeks, but quickly became incredibly sick (turns out she is allergic to corn, which is a filler in most foods including Science Diet). We switched her to Blue Buffalo, which also didn't agree with her. We finally did a cold turkey switch to Canidae, which she liked and didn't cause her to have any issues. We have since found that Natural Balance, and Kirkland brand foods also agree with her. We generally buy Canidae, but will occasionally alternate between the three foods to prevent food boredom.

I was thinking I would try feeding the new puppy Canidae as well. After looking on dogfoodadvisor, I noticed that Kirkland sells a puppy formula, and it is highly rated. Does anyone have experience with this food? I have also considered feeding raw (for both my current girl, and new puppy), and would love input from those of you that feed raw! I am open to any and all suggestions. Just wanting to make sure that I am feeding this new puppy the healthiest food possible!
Kirkland is a private label food made by Diamond pet food. They also make Professional (which used to be the formula they put in the Kirkland bag and still may be), Premium edge, Taste of the Wild, Chicken soup and I thought one more but maybe not. They also make a few other companies foods as well. Diamond overall has maybe had more recalls than just about anyone since 2005. Not a big fan of Diamond's ability to manufacture.

Canidae has always been known as an all life stage food (ALS) and ALS foods are small breed puppy foods meeting the requirements of the puppy/breed with the highest nutritional needs. So in general, it is not good to feed an ALS food to a large breed puppy. You just feed more or less of the same nutrient profile and puppies requirements are certainly different then adults and even large breed puppies.

There is a 2nd puppy formula in the Pure line but that is grain free, with LOTS of lentils and peas which is what is being linked to possible causes to DCM in dogs. Plus they don't offer the Calcium and phosphorus levels, very important for large breed puppies not to be above a 1.4 : 1 ratio of Calc/Phos, on the bag and when companies don't offer information like that, it usually means they don't want you to see it. The only 4 things REQUIRED of them to list on the guaranteed analysis is Protein, Fat, Fiber and Moisture. Anything else listed is because they want you to know.

So personally I wouldn't feed either food. I fed Precise Holistic lg brd puppy food starting in December 2017 (I don't think it's being made anymore though) then switched to Nature's Variety Be Natural line and their Frozen Raw food once Maggie was around 10 months old. As of now one of the better large breed puppy foods out there will be Pro Plan large breed puppy. I don't like to feed AS much grain but for puppies, it's what I may feed now till they are adults at least. Nature's Vatiety also makes a puppy food in the Be Natural line (grain inclusive line) that has a 25/18 Protien fat levels and 1.2% Calcium and .95% Phosphorus which is a good level for large breed puppies with no lentils, peas or potatoes.

·
Debbie624
421 Posts
I fed Coco Purina Proplan Focus large breed puppy until she was 11 months old then I slowly transitioned her to American Natural Premium legume free line and alternate between the proteins every bag to give a variety and to avoid possible nutrient deficiencies. I add a can of sardines spread out throughout the week bc of its high taurine to prevent DCM. But I didn't start adding that until we started her on the American Natural Premium. As Eric said above, you need to pay attention to the calcium/phosphorus ratio so they don't develop too rapidly bc its not good for their bone growth. Good luck. Choosing Coco's food made me really anxious bc I wanted to choose the perfect food and am picky with ingredients. But you have come to the right place to get advice.

·
Ripley and Ned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At this point, I am going to start her on Royal Canin Golden Retriever Puppy (the food the breeder has them on right now) and will likely transition to either raw, or Orijin/Acana. Thanks for the info and suggestions!

·
Registered
782 Posts

I have fed Kirkland foods for ovr 20 yrs. My dogs thru the yrs have always done great with it. If I recall they have had 2 or 3 recalls since 2007, but you might want to google that. I am always checking labels to se if anything has changed..Never have seen anything of interest in all those yrs. You can google for their recalls and this one from 2012 appears to be most prominent:

Here is a chart that is now a couple of yrs old, but you can get the idea of who makes what. (Diamond makes Kirkland)..My tendency is to judge a dog food by it's ingredients nd the number of garbage foods that they sell. I also judge by filler ingredients like corn which you so aptly pointed out. Diamond Chicken abd Rice contains no corn, soy or wheat, like so many others do.
What has happened to the dog food industry is downright crimina. Quality decreased dramatically, as once great companies were gobbled up by the big 4.

I think that you will be surprised by this!

Sorry about the typos..the spell checker won't work on this forum anymore.

·
Ripley and Ned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have fed Kirkland foods for ovr 20 yrs. My dogs thru the yrs have always done great with it. If I recall they have had 2 or 3 recalls since 2007, but you might want to google that. I am always checking labels to se if anything has changed..Never have seen anything of interest in all those yrs. You can google for their recalls and this one from 2012 appears to be most prominent:

Here is a chart that is now a couple of yrs old, but you can get the idea of who makes what. (Diamond makes Kirkland)..My tendency is to judge a dog food by it's ingredients nd the number of garbage foods that they sell. I also judge by filler ingredients like corn which you so aptly pointed out. Diamond Chicken abd Rice contains no corn, soy or wheat, like so many others do.
What has happened to the dog food industry is downright crimina. Quality decreased dramatically, as once great companies were gobbled up by the big 4.

I think that you will be surprised by this!

Sorry about the typos..the spell checker won't work on this forum anymore.

View attachment 878212
Thanks for the reply Jeff! The chart you provided is super informative! I am still considering using Kirkland with the new puppy (I will probably switch between a few brands to prevent boredom), as the ingredients list is so similar to other high end brands, and my current girl loves it. The fact that there is no corn is a big sell as well.

Reactions: jeffscott947

·
Registered
782 Posts
Thanks for the reply Jeff! The chart you provided is super informative! I am still considering using Kirkland with the new puppy (I will probably switch between a few brands to prevent boredom), as the ingredients list is so similar to other high end brands, and my current girl loves it. The fact that there is no corn is a big sell as well.
My pleasure..Unfortunately some companys try to hide who they really are..ie: most people would not like buying dog food from a soap company..LOL

I only try to illustrate what I have used with great success, and don't attempt to push any brand.
Costco (Kirkland) is well known for selling quality Kirkland branded products so 10+ yrs ago, I gave it shot..never looked back.
My Golden puppy was also reared on their puppy kibble..once again no problems.

Since I own 3 dogs..I need a quality food at a decent price..The Kirkland Chicken and Rice was a good fit.

I totally agree with switching foods and don't believe the old myth about keeping a dog on the same food forever. Despite The Dogfoodadvisor being panned here..I find his reviews UNTAINTED, and for the most part spot on. IMO..he can't be "purchased" at any price, but has our pet's interests at heart.

Dog food companys have a bad habit of making things "worthwhile" for those medical professionals that will carry their lines..luckily my vet will have nothing to do with that. She has asked me what I fed thru the yrs and has a high opinion of the Kirkland foods. Unlike many vets, she has a good working knowledge of pet nutrition and quality

I also suggest reaching out to various companys thru their web sites. Always be on the lookout for evasive answers that do not address your concerns. Many large companys use canned answers that are designed to confuse and avoid the point. Another dead giveaway is their using the term "proprietary" ingredients (aka mystery meats..LOL), or " from trusted sources around the world". That's corporate doublespeak for the lowest bidder..Usually meaning China

Wishing and your pooch you well ..and my signature says it all.."never follow the herd"!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.