Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
New Dog/Golden Owner
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our boy is almost 12 weeks old and we're currently feeding him Science Diet puppy Large Breed. However I've started doing some research and there has been some heavy suggestion to not use that brand. But then of course there's 15 million different suggestions and different sides and it all gets very confusing so I figured I'd reach out to those who have already raised Goldens! This is our first dog and our first Golden Retriever! I know that food and nutrition is an important part of a dog's health, as well as growth and I really just want to make sure our boy gets the best start and gets to live a long and happy healthy life so I just want some advice on the BEST food for a growing Golden puppy. I know too high of protein can cause growth issues especially when they're young and growing fast, and I know certain grains/amounts of grains can cause allergies and other issues. But after that I'm at a loss and I just want to know some quality brands that are a good balance and will ensure the best health and growing for our little guy.

·
Loving Mommy of Kiner <3
239 Posts
Kiner is 6 1/2 months I've always used Taste of the wild grain free puppy- and taste of the wild canned about one TBSP in with his kibble- He has done wonderful so far! Its so hard when there is so much to choose from/ Good Luck!

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
We fed Max Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy Food until he was about 15 months old. He did great on it. He had firm stools and a good coat. He was on Purina Puppy Chow from his breeder and we switched right away.

He now eats Acana Wild Prairie. I would also recommend Acana Puppy Food because Max has done so well on the grain free adult food.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,542 Posts
Our boy is almost 12 weeks old and we're currently feeding him Science Diet puppy Large Breed. However I've started doing some research and there has been some heavy suggestion to not use that brand. But then of course there's 15 million different suggestions and different sides and it all gets very confusing so I figured I'd reach out to those who have already raised Goldens! This is our first dog and our first Golden Retriever! I know that food and nutrition is an important part of a dog's health, as well as growth and I really just want to make sure our boy gets the best start and gets to live a long and happy healthy life so I just want some advice on the BEST food for a growing Golden puppy. I know too high of protein can cause growth issues especially when they're young and growing fast, and I know certain grains/amounts of grains can cause allergies and other issues. But after that I'm at a loss and I just want to know some quality brands that are a good balance and will ensure the best health and growing for our little guy.
Syd,

Be careful about the "Food Rating" sites, most are extremely biased to the point that their information isn't trustworthy.

Before you contemplate making a food change, make an assessment of your pup. Is he growing at a good rate? Is his coat nice? Are his eyes nice and clear? Does he have a good energy level? Are his stools nice and firm? Is he healthy?

Those are the things that are important. If your pup is doing well, there is no reason to switch. Don't jump onto the dog food change roller coaster unless there is a real reason to switch.

·
New Dog/Golden Owner
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Syd,

Be careful about the "Food Rating" sites, most are extremely biased to the point that their information isn't trustworthy.

Before you contemplate making a food change, make an assessment of your pup. Is he growing at a good rate? Is his coat nice? Are his eyes nice and clear? Does he have a good energy level? Are his stools nice and firm? Is he healthy?

Those are the things that are important. If your pup is doing well, there is no reason to switch. Don't jump onto the dog food change roller coaster unless there is a real reason to switch.
Hi Swampcollie!

The reason I started researching food change and quality for our guy is because I noticed a redness in his eyes and a slight colorless discharge from his eyes which I don't believe is normal for a Golden. The vet we say seems to chalk it up to allergies and prescribed an ointment (can't recall the name at the moment) that doesn't seem to be doing much to clear the redness or stop the discharge. He doesn't itch at it and it doesn't seem to be painful for him, but I want it cleared up for him regardless. I'll be taking him to get a second professional opinion to make sure it's not more serious but I've been hearing that symptoms like this can often be traced back to foods and heavy grain consumption. Of course there's two opinions on every side of the story but from what I gather a lot of "vet-described allergy problems" end up being related to their food so I just figured I would start there. Aside from his eyes, his growth, coat, energy level, and stools all seem perfectly normal other than an occasional softer stool. So perhaps the food is fine. I have no idea though really because not only is he my first golden but he's my first dog ever so I'm really relying a lot on research and vet opinion. Advice on the eye symptoms?

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,542 Posts
Hi Swampcollie!

The reason I started researching food change and quality for our guy is because I noticed a redness in his eyes and a slight colorless discharge from his eyes which I don't believe is normal for a Golden. The vet we say seems to chalk it up to allergies and prescribed an ointment (can't recall the name at the moment) that doesn't seem to be doing much to clear the redness or stop the discharge. He doesn't itch at it and it doesn't seem to be painful for him, but I want it cleared up for him regardless. I'll be taking him to get a second professional opinion to make sure it's not more serious but I've been hearing that symptoms like this can often be traced back to foods and heavy grain consumption. Of course there's two opinions on every side of the story but from what I gather a lot of "vet-described allergy problems" end up being related to their food so I just figured I would start there. Aside from his eyes, his growth, coat, energy level, and stools all seem perfectly normal other than an occasional softer stool. So perhaps the food is fine. I have no idea though really because not only is he my first golden but he's my first dog ever so I'm really relying a lot on research and vet opinion. Advice on the eye symptoms?
Redness and clear discharge in the eyes would be something to check out with an ophthalmologist. (eyelash growing inward toward the eye.)

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
FROMM- US sourced and manufactured. Never had a recall. They have been around since the early 1900's. They have been making pet food since WW2. All of mine love it and are going great on it. I also get every 13th bag free. Product Guide - Fromm Family Foods

I have always feed ALS (all life stage) to mine from 12 weeks on which was fully supported by my breeders and vet. My vet doesn't believe in "puppy," "senior," etc. foods. They believe that most dogs can be feed ALS for their entire lives.

If super active feed more. If gaining weight than cut the food down and make they run around more.

Feed the dog- Not the bag. If I went by the bag Buddy (90-95 pounds) would be getting 3 3/4 to 4 3/8 cups of kibble a day! The yorkies would each be getting 1/2 to 1 1/3.

Buddy gets about 2 cups daily and each yorkie gets 1/4 cup. Mine eat the 4 star blends but only because I like to change up their protein source with every bag. I feed grain and grain free but none of mine have "grain" issues. I avoid lamb because it makes them all gassy!!!

Mine do get outside food- Real human grade food ie. chicken, beef, eggs, veggies, fruits, etc. daily. No junk food except occasionally being allowed to lick the empty ice cream carton when it is empty.

I lost my RIP Zoey to tainted dog treats made by Nestle/Purina/Waggin Train/Canyon Creek/whatever else they call themselves. So I am super careful about what mine get.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
I would add that a some of the dog food review sites knock Science Diet as not being a quality food. Some years ago, before the advent of the internet, we fed our Golden Retriever Science Diet Sensitive Stomach. Chewy lived to be 14.5 years old and never had a sick vet visit. Goes to the adage that you should feed whatever works best for your dog.

·
KCGold
1,757 Posts
I have used Purina large breed puppy chow for a long while....our dogs have always done well on this...Whatever you change to, transition them slowly, a little bit at a time mixed with their current food....otherwise they may get diarrhea....

·
Registered
7 Posts
We are using Life's Abundance. Our breeder recommended this dog food and our girl is doing great on it. You can't buy it in stores, it has to be ordered on line.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Murphy ate orijen lg breed puppy and now Acana ranchland or pacifica.
Whatever you choose read the ingredients in order and decide for yourself. IMO why pay for corn and other grain to feed your dog. If you put a bowl of steak next to a bowl of corn....which will the dog pick?

·
Registered
1 Posts
FROMM- US sourced and manufactured. Never had a recall. They have been around since the early 1900's. They have been making pet food since WW2. All of mine love it and are going great on it. I also get every 13th bag free. Product Guide - Fromm Family Foods

I have always feed ALS (all life stage) to mine from 12 weeks on which was fully supported by my breeders and vet. My vet doesn't believe in "puppy," "senior," etc. foods. They believe that most dogs can be feed ALS for their entire lives.

If super active feed more. If gaining weight than cut the food down and make they run around more.

Feed the dog- Not the bag. If I went by the bag Buddy (90-95 pounds) would be getting 3 3/4 to 4 3/8 cups of kibble a day! The yorkies would each be getting 1/2 to 1 1/3.

Buddy gets about 2 cups daily and each yorkie gets 1/4 cup. Mine eat the 4 star blends but only because I like to change up their protein source with every bag. I feed grain and grain free but none of mine have "grain" issues. I avoid lamb because it makes them all gassy!!!

Mine do get outside food- Real human grade food ie. chicken, beef, eggs, veggies, fruits, etc. daily. No junk food except occasionally being allowed to lick the empty ice cream carton when it is empty.

I lost my RIP Zoey to tainted dog treats made by Nestle/Purina/Waggin Train/Canyon Creek/whatever else they call themselves. So I am super careful about what mine get.
I’m a first time dog mom to a seven month old golden puppy and was wondering if you feed your dogs the meats raw and cooked?? Always looking for healthy food for my boy! Read a lot about a ton of different foods but like to gain knowledge with experience! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
775 Posts
I’m a first time dog mom to a seven month old golden puppy and was wondering if you feed your dogs the meats raw and cooked?? Always looking for healthy food for my boy! Read a lot about a ton of different foods but like to gain knowledge with experience! Thanks in advance!
My youngest will be 7 months on Weds and she eats raw. You have to make sure it’s a complete diet Whatever you do. And feed it to them raw. Cooking removes nutrients. Mine eat Answers raw and Annamaet Encore 25. Ages are 7 months and almost 2.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts