Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, my pup Dutch seems to have a sensitive stomach and had been having diarrhea consistently for awhile now. Took him to the vet and he suggested allergies. Took him off his food and gave him rice and chicken for a few days and reintroduced his food... back to diarrhea again. I have him on rice, pumpkin and chicken again until the diarrhea clears up and want to know if anyone has thoughts on a good dog food that is easy on sensitive tummies.

·
Super Moderator Leader
44,823 Posts
What dog food and treats are you currently giving him?

You said he's had diarrhea consistently for awhile, how long?
Have you taken a stool sample in to be analyzed to rule out any parasite or disease?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What dog food and treats are you currently giving him?

You said he's had diarrhea consistently for awhile, how long?
Have you taken a stool sample in to be analyzed to rule out any parasite or disease?

We did take a stool sample when we took him to the vet but he didn’t send it away to analyze, he suggested to take him off his food and give him that homemade version until he had normal stool and then reintroduce it. He’s been treated for worms etc and we don’t have a lot of the parasites here in Alberta Canada that there are in the US, and I only know that because I specifically asked the vet about parasites and that was his response.
We had him on Blue Wilderness dry kibble for puppies as it’s a high protein no grain food...but no luck. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator Leader
44,823 Posts
The Blue Buffalo formulas have been known to cause a lot of stomach problems in pups and dogs because they're too rich and have so many different ingredients.

A lot of members feed Purina Pro Plan formulas including myself. I have a Sr. boy.
Quite a few members are feeding PPP large breed puppy food.

You may want to read this thread regarding Grain free foods-

https://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/golden-retriever-nutrition-feeding-recipes/459802-study-low-taurine-grain-free-foods-dcm-goldens.html

·
Registered
30 Posts
As much as Blue Buffalo toots its own horn about how good it is I've found my guys can't even eat their treats without having issues just too rich.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,423 Posts
The real issue is the Life Source Bits. They aren't very digestible and also contains about a third of the vitamin package. Not a lot of dogs like the Bits either and therefore is really not a healthy option overall. Honestly, Blue Buffalo would one of the very last foods I would feed my dog.

·
Registered
766 Posts
My Golden had a sensitive stomach the first few years. He ended up doing well on Wellness. I also always had Propectalin chewable tablets on hand. It helps greatly firming up stool quickly.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have just switched to PPP Large Puppy Chicken and so far he is doing well. When I first got him I had him on Orijen Large Puppy and that was not good diahrea like crazy. Then I switched to a royal canine vet food and he did ok on that but it was bloody expensive. We then switched to Nutri Source large Puppy and he did ok on that but they are listed on the FDA list of foods related to DCM. At the end of the day I decided that I wanted to be on a food that has been trusted by Golden breeders and care givers. I expect if this continues to go well he will be on PPP for the rest of his life. Personally I will never feed a dog food to my dog again that contains beens or is from a company that doesn't have a long history of proper food sciences invested in their food.

·
Dog Trainer
13 Posts
Tummy sensitivity in puppies is a common problem, so you should know that you are not alone. The gut of a puppy is not fully developed and they seem to spend a big chunk of their first year of life, cycling through bouts of loose stool, diarrhea, vomiting and what not. A couple of things to think about:
1) I would ask your vet to rule out giardia, since they can get that from wild animal poop, including birds, and it can be remedied with a course of antibiotics.
2) Blue Buffalo does create problems with loose stool with many dogs. I saw that when I was doing rescue and a lot of dogs passed through my house, and many could not tolerate it. So I will never feed it again as my primary food, but I do like many of their products for treats.
3) Vets are quick to say, "it must be allergies," when in fact, your puppy could be getting into something outside (like a low-level toxic plant), or could have any number of things going on, so it's worthwhile to keep experimenting until you find a food that your puppy can process well. But you should still recognize that it doesn't take much to give your puppy loose stool again, so don't freak out when it happens. unless he is clearly sick (lethargic, dehydrated, etc...). With many puppies, the first stool of the day (which has been forming overnight) comes out firm, and then every bowel movement after that one seems to get more and more loose. That could have something to do with "processing time" while the puppy is sleeping, vs during his busy active day.
4) I used to be a grain-free only addict, until all the news came out about legumes and DCM, and I switched to foods with grain. But, I avoid grains like corn, corn meal, soy, and wheat, in favor of whole grains (just like the way I shop for my family), so do your research and read your food labels. I also avoid meat by-products in dog food. All of this means I avoid Purina, even ProPlan, and all the other vet-recommended dog food brands, although I do appreciate and respect the fact that these are the only dog food producers who are spending resources on nutritional studies, and developing special diets. So, if a dog really must have a special diet, I can see where one of the extensive lines developed by Purina might be the best food for it. But that is not the case with most dogs.
5) You may find that your pup needs some digestive support to properly digest kibble, which is a processed food. So think about adding probiotics and digestive enzymes (specially designed to help a dog's digestive tract deal with processed kibble), as well as some pumpkin powder to your dog's daily meal. Since many of these supplements are powdered, you may want to make one meal a day be a wet meal.
6) A good raw diet never creates diarrhea: if anything, it's the opposite, as your dog's poop becomes small and hard and dry. You may wish to mix in one of the dehydrated/freeze-dried raw foods (after rehydration) into your dog's food, for that wet meal. My dogs all love the taste of Honest Kitchen, Bravo, Sojos, Oracle, Stella & Chewy and Dr Harveys, which are complete meals. Or add some food toppers/meal mixers like Wellness Core, Stella & Chewy, Stewarts, Ziwi Peak, etc... which are highly palatable, freeze-dried chunks of raw food. If you decide to go for a real raw food diet (rather than a semi-processed, commercially available one), make sure you do a lot of research on how to do it right. If you go that route, you will see poop that is different from anything else. Two of my dogs are on a full, raw diet, and their poop is a breeze to pick up and it decomposes in the yard within days.

Hope these points give you and your puppy some "food for thought!" :)

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,423 Posts
Allergies will RARELY ever cause diarrhea, especially without other symptoms like ear infections, paw licking and chewing, skin rashes/hair loss ect. A vet just randomly saying it's allergies without ruling out the more likely issues like giardia, coccidia, parvo, potential outside influences like eating random things, to many treats, change of foods to quickly or even just to much food being fed can all lead to diarrhea, is a vet I'm not sure I'd go back to. It's like a give up.

·
Registered
50 Posts
We had similar problems on Fromm large breed puppy. We switched to Eukenuba large breed puppy (and stopped all other treats during this time). It took about 5 days of being 100% on new food until we saw a difference. Now stools are GREAT! We introduced treats back in slowly, and one type at a time.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had a intersting conversation with a sales rep at a big box pet food store in Canada about the subect of grain free foods that derive a large portion of their protien from lentils/pulses. I just asked how much does she think the industry as a whole will change now that there are concerns about DCM. Over 80% of the stores dog food would have to change she said. I just expressed my frustration with her that I feel that in general the dog food industry is a mess and it is frustrating to even know who to listen to which she agreed with. For now I would far rather my dog get a bit of corn in his diet then any more pulses/lentils. I believe that in the wild there is a better chance of them ingesting corn from the belly of a wild animal than beens/pulses and they for sure wouldn't be chowing down on it on their own in a field. I am maybe even going to go so far as to say that until the last 20 years dogs never ingested beens of any kind. This is a interesting article on the subject.

https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2018/09/10/fava-beans-inappropriate-ingredient-for-dogs.aspx

·
Registered
2 Posts
Our 5 month old pup (at the time, now 2.5) had same symptoms, as well as inflamed ears. Our vet suspected it was a sensitivity to chicken which is very common nowadays (seems that decades ago, a similar sensitivity to BEEF was identified for dogs, so many manufacturers switched their main ingredient to non-beef protein, mainly chicken. Breeding cycle has come full circle, she said, and dogs with chicken sensitivity now do well on beef...and of course other protein sources)

To test the vet’s theory about sensitivity to chicken, she had us take Ruby off of her food and we did the gradual move to Royal Kanin Ultamino. That worked. After 3 weeks, we went back to her prior food with chicken, and the diarrhea and red ears came back. So we switched to a turkey based food. Within a week of her switchover, the diarrhea came back; we didn’t wait to see if the inflamed ears would, too. So, back to Ultamino.

As noted, it is very expensive. After a year, we switched to fish and yam-based brand. No diarrhea but because of the fiber I. The yam, she would go about 5 times a day and not the compact, solid stool we came to love with Ultamino. So we decided it was a gift to ourselves (time and effort) to go back permanently to Ultamino. She has always liked it best and all here are as happy as can be.

Good luck with your pup!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I switched my dog to Purina pro plan sensitive skin & stomach the salmon kind at around 8 months cause he had stomach & skin issues. He’s now almost 2 and still eating the same food and it has helped a lot.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,423 Posts
There is no beef or chicken main allergy. Dogs as well as people, develop allergies over time being on the same proteins continuously and in the the highest concentrations. For example, if you have fresh chicken (chicken) as your main ingredient but right after it corn, wheat, soy, brown rice... your dog is most likely going to develop a sensitivity to the protein in the grains rather then the chicken as fresh chicken isn't truly the highest percentage or main ingredient in the food.

Here's why. The ingredient listed on the bag is in order of weight PRIOR to processing. it's nothing shady but since it's all put in the vat at the same time, mixed and cooked then pressed into a kibble shape, there is no way to measure what the chicken weighs AFTER it's made into a kibble. Fresh chicken is 70% water and dog kibble is just 10% moisture so fresh chicken after the food is made is more likely the 7th or 8th ingredient not the first. Chicken meal or any meat meal is already dry in a powder form and the moisture is already removed so a meal like chicken meal never moves in the ingredient list.

So is you see Chicken Meal, then any grain or fruits and veggies, you will truly have more chicken then grains in the diet and therefore can reasonably target chicken as the potential culprit. I can tell you as soon as 5 years ago the list of reported known allergen meats were #1 Beef, #2 lamb and #3 was chicken and chicken is by FAR the most widely used meat in dog food.

So there is no chicken is more common then beef and beef was more common 10 years ago. It's all in what you feed your dog and how consistently you feed the same ingredients with the same sources of proteins is what they will most likely develop the sensitivity too.

·
Registered
452 Posts
We are occasionally awarded Blue Buffalo food, as they sponsor a local sportsmen dog series, and I usually donate it to a shelter. I even feel bad for doing that. I tried it for maybe 2 days years ago when it first came out and one of our boys ended up at the vet with severe diarrhea. It's been an absolute no in our house ever since. I even feel bad when I wear the free t-shirts they give us for competing. I assume that some dogs have no issue with it or it wouldn't still be on the market.

I feed Purina Pro Plan Large Breed Puppy food to start with. Purina has an EN prescription diet that is great for letting the stomach heal while transitioning to a different food. My sons puppy had a spell of loose stools this summer and we did the EN Gastro diet for a couple days and then transitioned her over to the PPP Sport food. (She was at the age to transition anyway)

** My 9 year old is truly allergic to chicken. He never had diarrhea from it. He had facial swelling, hives, excessive licking of front legs and feet, and itching. He ate a chicken based food for 7 1/2 years before it ever became an issue. The allergy started slowly with licking and itching and then one night his face swelled, his breathing was labored and we ended up at the ER vet.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Not directly a GI issue but my almost 6mo pup was having anal gland problems and irritation around his bum that did not seem improve much after adding lots of fiber. My vet suspected it had something to do with the food (was eating royal canine golden retriever puppy since i got him from the breeder) and had us switch to PPP sensitive skin and stomach, salmon formula. He took the transition well. This just started a week ago, so it is too soon to tell but so far it seems to be going in the right direction. I was originally planning to switch to an adult food closer to 8-10 months, but my vet insisted it would be no problem. Point being, at 5.5mo you can probably open the door for adult food, especially considering the circumstances. Lots more options than puppy formulas.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Tomo had diarrhea for quite a while, and after 3 rounds of meds, the vet suggested that he go on Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Puppy (it is prescription, but she said it has more nutrients for a puppy than the Hills i/d we were on). We did a bag of that, then switched him to Royal Canin Golden Retriever Puppy, and he's doing really great on it. After this new bag is done in a couple of months, I'll prob switch to the adult version.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts