Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a year and half old Golden Retriever since we had him he has been on sentiel for fleas, and heartworm. He differently has fleas, they aren't that bad but I find many bites on him, and a flea, and some eggs here and there. We live in Florida so unfortunately I don't feel there will be an off time not to give him treat me. So I am looking for suggestions on back heartwarm, and flea preventative. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator Leader
50,873 Posts
Here is a spreadsheet member IowaGold put together several years ago comparing different HW and flea meds. She is a Vet.

http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com...t-comparing-heartworm-flea-tick-products.html

I live on the NC Coast, I treat for HW year round and my boy is currently on NexGard for fleas. I have been using Sentinel the last few months for HW but will switch back to Heartgard since I put my boy on NexGard. Last year I had him and my Bridge girl on Sentinel and used the Seresto Collars, the collars didn't work for them.

If you do a search for NexGard or Bravecto, there are several threads that will come up you can read through.

There are a lot of members either using the monthly NexGard or Bravecto the 3 month tablet.

I use to give my guys Comfortis, then started giving them Trifexis. They didn't have any problems taking either, but numerous reports came out where dogs were having negative reactions to Trifexis, several died, I took my guys off of it.

There are threads about Trifexis too here if you do a search.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I would recommend Interceptor for heartworm prevention - Heartgard is starting to fail and not a lot of people are aware of that. Heartgard makers themselves are denying it, but ivermectin resistant heartworm disease is on the rise. My vet has seen several cases of heartworm positive dogs on Heartgard, so he does not even sell Heartgard anymore. He said that several vets in the area have experienced the same thing and they had a video conference with the Heartgard vet in charge who denied that the product is failing. But the evidence speaks for itself. So, I definitely recommend Interceptor.
As for fleas - it depends if you want a chewable or a topical for your dog. I personally give Bravecto every 12 weeks but we also have a huge tick problem. If you don't want to go the 12 week route Nexgard is a good idea. Then there are the topcials and collars. I just know that Frontline Plus does not work well anywhere anymore and my vet also stopped selling it.
I would definitely not do Trifexis or Comfortis - too many sick dogs from that.

Good luck, I hope you find a product that works well for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts