Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think we have the best vacuum cleaner, but I need to remove some urine stains. Steam cleaners are probably best, but I don't feel I can justify the expense. What cleaners under $500 will do the job? Online reviews are worthless. One site will rank a machine first, and another site will rank the same machine way down the list. I figure anyone here that has raised a puppy will have first hand experience.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I own a rug doctor. I love it.

You can buy natures miracle carpet shampoo and run that through it.

The difference between the ones you rent and the one you buy is the color. Ours is blue. Works great

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,297 Posts
For product reviews, I usually check Consumer Reports.
I also check customer reviews on sites like Amazon.

Nature's miracle works great, you can also use a mixture of white vinegar and water.

One thing to mention, if you use a cleaning product and decide at a later time to have your carpets professionally cleaned, some of the cleaning products you use will leave a spot on the area you've used it on.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,853 Posts
Urine off has more enzymes ppm then any other that I have found. Enzymes literally eat away the urine. Saturate the carpet 3 times wider than the strain is visible on the carpet. Wet down through the carpet pad. Cover with a wet towel to keep from being and let sit 6 hours. If it dries, the engines for of Anna it stops working. The longer it sure the better it works as you have to give it time to eat away the urine. Then uncover and let dry out THEN go over it with a steamer or shampooer.

This method of for ALL enzymatic cleaners and you should always use a good pet enzymatic cleaner or you'll just leave a scent they will pick up later on and just go again usually.

·
Registered
374 Posts
We have a girl with spay incontinence so I'm constantly cleaning up spots on the carpet. A year or so ago we bought a Bissel "Little Green" spot cleaner (https://www.walmart.com/ip/BISSELL-Little-Green-Portable-Spot-and-Stain-Cleaner-1400M/35702152) and it has been a lifesaver for cleaning up spots as they happen. We do also own a large carpet machine (the kind that looks like a giant vacuum cleaner) and I dig that out a couple of times a year to do the whole carpet, but most of the time the Little Green does a fine job.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I too always rely on Consumer Reports for my purchases like this! These ratings are from people who already own the carpet cleaners. Their top 2 models are shown below. Check them out, they both included pet friendly options...

Bissell ProHeat 2X Lift-Off Pet 15651 PRICE $277.68 - $351.54
Hoover PowerDash Pet FH50700 PRICE $99.99 - $146.99

·
Registered
304 Posts
We had great results from Proin on my old dog with her incontinence issues she developed later on.

·
Registered
374 Posts
We had great results from Proin on my old dog with her incontinence issues she developed later on.
Thanks, but Proin has a lot of potential side effects so we're holding that as a last resort. We've been working with a holistic vet for years and Moxie is on an blend of Chinese herbs that keep her dry about 95% of the time. So far, I'd rather have to still deal with diapers, bed pads and clean up than to go the Proin route.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts