Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I am looking for a puppy, and I am finding myself being very picky with breeders. The few breeders I have found to be good already have full waiting lists (looking for a pup this summer), or they are breeding light colored goldens (I am looking for medium to dark). I do have a couple good prospects that I am in contact with, but I don't have very high confidence that I could actually get a puppy from them (one has told me her list is full, but she will ask around with other breeders, and with the other, I am 5th in line for females).

I want to know who some of the staple Golden Retriever breeders in the US are, or any highly reputable breeder that you know of. I am willing to pay for transport to get the puppy to me. I just don't want there to be any doubt that I am getting a healthy girl. I don't want to settle for a puppy that doesn't exactly fit what I am looking for, because I wasn't fully aware of what was out there. Also, even if they aren't having any litters atm, I still want to be aware of what is out there. It may be worth it to wait for a puppy if it means getting one from a really good breeder.

Side note - I was recently recommended MuddyGoldens breeder by someone on Facebook.

They advertise the mlm Life's Abundance dog food, which I know is a huge red flag. However, the litter seems to have solid health tests. The males eyes are 1 year out of date, but other than that, everything looks good. What do you guys think? Five generation pedigree: Twig X Copper

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Sire- his eyes are out of date. His cardiac exam is insufficient. His own dam did not pass elbows and paternal half sibs clearly have some ortho issues. https://www.ofa.org/advanced-search?f=sr&appnum=1953061
Dam- Her heart exam is inadequate. https://www.ofa.org/advanced-search?f=sr&appnum=2075009
The bigger issue is the hearts - and the LA food is not a big deal, it's a good food... but my goodness, who can read pages and pages of text without any paragraphs and so many run on sentences? I stopped so can't offer much else but the OFA pages because I just cannot read the website.

·
Puddles
3,505 Posts
Best breeders? For what purpose? Do you plan to hunt with this dog? Family pet? Compete in agility or tracking. The really good breeders breed dogs for a purpose. How active is your family? Pedigree you are looking at is what they would call a performance line. I'm assuming you know what the titles are? A breeder like this one will be looking for families that want to give their pups a job and will have a ton of energy.
I can't speak for breeders but don't know too many that will ship you a puppy sight unseen. In fact there are laws about this in some place in an attempt to shut down puppy mills. Good breeders want to know the people their pups go to and expect them to at least fetch them and most are even willing to meet you at the airport. If of course the world isn't in lock down anyway.
You also need to consider finding the breeder you want and getting on a waiting list. There is always a chance they will have a cancelation. But if a pup is due this summer the breedings have already happened.... It's a 4 month process. Good breeders are worth waiting for!

I wanted to add a note: I like the darker golden also and it is disappointing that so many breeders are going lighter. Point is if color is your focus remember you must live with this dog for many years, not just look at it. You might focus more on health and temperament.

·
Super Moderator
411 Posts
Could you share your search criteria? You mentioned that the breeders you find good are already have full waiting lists- what do you define as good?

Well bred puppies from good breeders are worth the wait!

·
Robin
283 Posts
What area of the country are you in? There are lists circulating on this forum of breeders that meet reputable breeder guidelines from different regions. Also, you’re right that most of those “best practice” breeders are not going to have a puppy available to pick up in the summer. We usually have long lists before even planning the breeding. That being said (and especially in the current climate with people possibly backing out of getting a puppy due to loss of a job, etc. with the Coronavirus), you can get lucky and find a great breeder who may have availability. Having restrictions about gender and color makes it harder to find a quality puppy in a set timeframe. If you give us a little more detail of what you’re looking for and where you are, we should be able to provide you with a list.

I am looking for a puppy, and I am finding myself being very picky with breeders. The few breeders I have found to be good already have full waiting lists (looking for a pup this summer), or they are breeding light colored goldens (I am looking for medium to dark). I do have a couple good prospects that I am in contact with, but I don't have very high confidence that I could actually get a puppy from them (one has told me her list is full, but she will ask around with other breeders, and with the other, I am 5th in line for females).

I want to know who some of the staple Golden Retriever breeders in the US are, or any highly reputable breeder that you know of. I am willing to pay for transport to get the puppy to me. I just don't want there to be any doubt that I am getting a healthy girl. I don't want to settle for a puppy that doesn't exactly fit what I am looking for, because I wasn't fully aware of what was out there. Also, even if they aren't having any litters atm, I still want to be aware of what is out there. It may be worth it to wait for a puppy if it means getting one from a really good breeder.

Side note - I was recently recommended MuddyGoldens breeder by someone on Facebook.

They advertise the mlm Life's Abundance dog food, which I know is a huge red flag. However, the litter seems to have solid health tests. The males eyes are 1 year out of date, but other than that, everything looks good. What do you guys think? Five generation pedigree: Twig X Copper

·
Registered
259 Posts
All of my Golden's have been 'Field Bred' and all have had a complete set of health certification for the **** and Sire and most of the time Grandparents. I hunt birds and run my dogs in hunt tests! All of my dogs were purchased from 'hobby breeders'. These breeders will only consider selling their dogs to someone who hunts and/or runs hunt tests or hunt trials, or even obedience tests, etc. If you are not active in some of these sports for dogs, you would have trouble getting one of their pups.... The last thing I ever consider is the color of the pup! Gold, Red, Cream, etc....no matter in a performance dog!

These breeders almost always have there puppies sold before they are born, and many times before the bitch is pregnant...

Most breeders prefer that you pick up the pup, they have a contract that you have to sign and they want to meet the people who take one of there dogs. Some breeders still will ship a pup, but it is getting to be less, that do this.''

·
Registered
809 Posts
It definitely matters what you are looking for. Color doesn't make a difference. Mine have great energy level for what I do with them. For someone who wants a companion house dog, they would be too much. This is why breeders can be very picky about who can have one of their puppies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.