Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have a GREAT vacuum cleaner for picking up dog hair? I've tried a Eureka and a Kenmore. Not happy with either one. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
I'm very happy with my Dyson Animal. It's survived almost 5 years with lots of golden fur. I like that it's very easy to take apart for cleaning and doesn't require bags. The only work I've had to do is replace the hose because it cracked, I found one on Amazon for about $20.

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,123 Posts
I've had a Bissell Pet Hair Eraser for over 12 years, it works great.

I have wood flooring in my house with area rugs, we have a lot of sand in the soil here which my guys have always brought in. I've replaced the roller brush a few times.

Bissell has a new cordless vac model I'd really like to get which is similar to the Dyson.

I like doing business with companies that pay it forward, for every Bissell product that is sold, a portion of the sales goes to the Bissell Foundation.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Just a few weeks ago I bought a "Shark Duo Clean Powered Lift Away Speed Vacuum" from Kohls. Model #NV801. With a sale price and other discounts, I got a good deal and am very happy with it. It picks up a LOT of golden hair that my old vacuum missed, and I think I'm picking up some of the German Shepherd hair that the previous owner of my house missed too!

·
now Mom to Kiwi
2,785 Posts
Dyson Animal. Ours is 11 or 12 years old and still going strong. Like ArchersMom the only thing we've had to replace is the hose because it cracked but that was just this summer so the vacuum has more than paid for itself.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Electrolux!!! My daughter has my first which is about 25 years old and still works great. Mine is about, guessing, 15 years old and works like new. They are expensive but worth every penny!

·
Registered
989 Posts
I have a cheap Bissell vacuum BUT I also don’t have any carpet. Just wood laminate and tile. It also works great on the van carpet. Paid less than $100 at Target.

·
Gunner and Honey's Mom
5,621 Posts
I love my Shark lift away. I had a Dyson and the Shark does a much better job.

Reactions: Genevieve's mom

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My oversight. I should have specified that about 95% of our floors are hardwood or tile. We have a large area rug in our living room but no carpet at all. Do most of you still suggest the Shark, the Dyson, the Bissell, and the Electrolux? Thank you. Sorry I wasn't specific with my initial question!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've had a Bissell Pet Hair Eraser for over 12 years, it works great.

I have wood flooring in my house with area rugs, we have a lot of sand in the soil here which my guys have always brought in. I've replaced the roller brush a few times.

Bissell has a new cordless vac model I'd really like to get which is similar to the Dyson.

I like doing business with companies that pay it forward, for every Bissell product that is sold, a portion of the sales goes to the Bissell Foundation.

I will check into this one. I wonder if they still make it. Thank you for the suggestion!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just a few weeks ago I bought a "Shark Duo Clean Powered Lift Away Speed Vacuum" from Kohls. Model #NV801. With a sale price and other discounts, I got a good deal and am very happy with it. It picks up a LOT of golden hair that my old vacuum missed, and I think I'm picking up some of the German Shepherd hair that the previous owner of my house missed too!

Thank you for the specific information - including the model #. Do you have mostly carpet or hard surface floors - or will it work on both types of flooring? Thank you.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Get something with a powerful motor. My first few vacuums were Kenmore and the bag never filled up. When my Electrolux needs a bag change, it is FULL! Don't buy an Electrolux from anyone other than a dealer. I bought one for my younger daughter and it was a cheaper model made by someone else. I think you'll pay about $1000.00 or the real deal. Worth the price because they last forever.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
My oversight. I should have specified that about 95% of our floors are hardwood or tile. We have a large area rug in our living room but no carpet at all. Do most of you still suggest the Shark, the Dyson, the Bissell, and the Electrolux? Thank you. Sorry I wasn't specific with my initial question!
Our house has laminate in every room but the bedrooms. The upright Dyson is great for hard floors. You just push a button and the roller turns off.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have a cordless dyson used on mostly hard floor. I think anything with a comparable motor would be pretty good. Cordless also means the bag fills up quickly with fur and has to be emptied more often. It's still handy though, when you want to vacuum the car or the bed.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thank you for the specific information - including the model #. Do you have mostly carpet or hard surface floors - or will it work on both types of flooring? Thank you.
I have a mixture of carpet and hard surface floors and it works very well on both types (Shark Duo Clean, NV801 from Kohls). There are a lot of good vacuums out there; this one is a good fit for me as it is lightweight, easy to empty, converts from hard floors to carpet with a flip of the switch at the top of the handle. The power head is not terribly wide, which has advantages and disadvantages. It means you can get into tight places easily like between chair legs, but also means if you are vacuuming a large open area it may take a little longer. It also has a nice bright headlight. The Duo Clean roller feature works very well at sucking up hair, dust, etc., and is very easy to access for cleaning, this was an important feature for me as well. I found a good YouTube video on this one with someone who demonstrated unpacking it, putting it together and using the various features.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts