Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where I live people love fireworks and of course that doesn't go over so well with one of the goldens Lexus. She is 7 and just shakes in her paws. The only thing I have around is Benadryl. Does anyone know if it will help? If so how much, she weighs 65lbs. Thank you in advance!:wavey:

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
I give mine 1- 2xs a day and its doesnt make them sleepy or knock them out

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Of course I'm not a vet... but I've been told that the general dose is 1mg per pound. It might help make her sleepy. Melatonin also works with some dogs. For the future, ask your vet about Xanax. That's what I use for my Whippet.

·
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, I looked at the package and it says 25mg. per tablet, so do you think 2 will do?
I just got home from work and am letting them out now, as soon as she hears one pop, she won't go outside for the rest of the night. Seems it gets worse as she gets older. I feel bad for the dogs that go thru this.

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
What happens when you give your dog a very special chew treat .. like a raw meaty marrow bone?

I live in Pennsylvania, this place is real big on fireworks, for all kinds of celebrations. Daisy was so scared she would hide in the bathtub. I found that distraction helped, but it had to be something sensational, not something she got every day or every week.

·
Angel Gage's Grandma
8,017 Posts
One of my goldens took Benadryl for allergies years ago, and he was taking 3-4 pills 3 times/day without making him sleepy. My vet said that Benadryl typically doesn't cause drowsiness in dogs as it does with humans. Best to check with a vet for proper dosage, or better yet, something designed to relieve anxiety, such as acepromazine, xanax, etc.

My Gage was terrified of loud noises (thunder, cars backfiring, fireworks, etc.). I would close all the doors and windows, turn on a fan, TV or radio, and try to distract him until the noise passed. His hearing got worse as he got older, which was a blessing.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Lily is on 4 a day due to her allergies and while she's a mellow dog so it's hard to tell, I don't know that it makes her sleepier than usual. Good luck to your baby! Sorry she's scared. I also wonder if next time a white noise machine would help her? Maybe put her in the bedroom with it on to drown out the noise?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts