Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!
I have had to give my 5mo puppy Benadryl a couple of times due to allergies/stuffy nose, but both times he's had an odd reaction and I'm wondering if anyone else has had this experience. An hour or two after taking it, he gets extremely antsy and panicky and can't seem to relax. He starts panting and pacing around the house like he's hungry, but it's not his usual feeding time. As a result, we haven't given it to him again and are trying Zyrtec as our vet recommended it.

·
Super Moderator
1,508 Posts
I do not know if giving Benadryl to a dog is safe so I'm not commenting on that aspect. I don't give one of my sons Benadryl because he has a paradoxical reaction in that Benadryl will usually make a person sleepy but it amps him up. Maybe dogs can have paradoxical reactions to meds too?

One of my sons also developed Steven Johnson Syndrome (SJS), a life threatening dermatological emergency. While recently talking to a vet who specializes in dermatology for dogs, I learned that dogs can get SJS, just like humans. Who knew??

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Benadryl can sedate, but also can cause some people to be more jittery. It usually sedates me, but it has kept me awake before. Perhaps it's the same with dogs.

I've given Benadryl to my adult Golden, who had bad allergies, but only after the vet told me it was okay and he instructed one Benadryl per 25lbs of dog. I only ever gave him two though and not often -- he was 72lbs. I always had it on hand and gave it to him once when he was stung by a hornet on the face.

He never acted antsy and it really didn't seem to sedate him too much -- sometimes a little.

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,712 Posts
How much Benadryl did you give him?

I had to give my bridge boy Benadryl several times due to being stung once and two insect bites per my Vet's instructions. The Vet also gave him a shot but it's been too many years and I don't remember what the shot was.

Like any medications, there can always be side effects.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I have used it..but only when one of mine was bitten by a bee. I keep a bottle in the dog med. box just in case, since we have a ton of yellow jackets in the summers.

From Petmd:

"By Jessica Vogelsang, DVM

Benadryl, also known by its generic name diphenhydramine, is one of the few over-the-counter drugs that veterinarians routinely have owners administer at home. While it is generally well tolerated and has a wide safety margin, there are a few things owners should keep in mind before dosing it at home:

1. What is Benadryl used for?

Benadryl is an antihistamine, blocking the H-1 receptors on smooth muscle and blood vessels. Some of its most common indications are the treatment of environmental allergies, allergic reactions to insect bites or stings, and pre-treatment of vaccine reactions. It also has some efficacy in the prevention of motion sickness in dogs and as a mild sedative.

2. When should I not use Benadryl?

Benadryl is contraindicated with certain conditions, such as pets with glaucoma, high blood pressure, and cardiovascular disease. It’s always best to contact your veterinarian for guidance before administering any medication to your pet, including Benadryl.

3. How much Benadryl should I give?

The standard dosage for oral Benadryl is 1 mg per pound of body weight, given 2-3 times a day. Most drug store diphenhydramine tablets are 25 mg, which is the size used for a 25 pound dog. Always double check the dosage before giving an over the counter medication. In addition, many formulations are combined with other medications such as Tylenol so make sure Benadryl tablets contain only diphenhydramine.

4. When should I contact my veterinarian?

Oral Benadryl is considered a mild to moderately effective antihistamine. If a pet is having an acute allergic reaction with facial swelling or difficulty breathing, skip the oral medications and go straight to the vet. Many allergic diseases require a combination of allergy medicine for dogs and treatment of underlying infections; if your pet is not responding to their prescription pet medication, talk to your vet for other options. "

·
Super Moderator
4,142 Posts
Benadryl is perfectly acceptable to use with dogs. Our vet has prescribed it on a number of occasions. Less common side effects do include low blood pressure, heart palpitations, increased heart rate, confusion, nervousness, irritability, and others that do not seem directly connected to what you are sharing. Dosing as noted above is one 25 mg tablet for each 25 pounds of body weight.

What is the weight of your pup? At the end of the day, if he is having a reaction, stop the medication, call the vet, and use something else (which is what you wisely decided to do!).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts