Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I came up with a tool to help Kahuna "tell" me when he needs to go out while he's potty training... It's working GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!! First of all, let me start by saying I keep him on a strict sched to assist with anticipating when he needs a potty break, and that alone will help with preventing accidents and reinforcing good behavior in your dog... To help further, I hung bells by the back door where I want him to learn that that door=bathroom... I keep a sharp eye on him and when I pick up on his need for a potty break a grab him, ring the bells gently and say "let's go out!" I do this every time... I introduced the bells only 4 days ago (I've only had him 10 days and he's 11 weeks old) and HE ALREADY USES THEM!!!!!!!! He started consistently using them yesterday and continued today! I just can't believe it!!!!!! He is SO YOUNG! I don't believe he fully comprehends what he's doing but he knows he's doing SOMETHING right and we haven't had an accident in a couple days!!!!! He even held it in today! I couldn't figure out why he was just staring at me earlier today while sitting for probably close to 5 whole min... It was very odd. I knew he wanted something from me but I wasn't sure what cuz it wasn't on sched for a potty break and he'd already been fed... Then he went over and nosed the bells so I took him out, just to reinforce that bells=potty outside and he went straight outside and pooped!!!!!! I am so thrilled with him and this new trick so I truly hope it helps other people!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Going to try this

Lola is now 19 wks old and is still not letting us know when she needs to go out. We tried rewards when she went out, we do have her on a schedule as well. She just will not let us know at all when she needs to go. Hope this works.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
We put bells downstairs and a the top of the staircase since we blocked access down when our Yogi was a baby. We were having issues with him going upstairs because he couldn't tell us, so the addition of the potty bells was definitely worth it. He got it, started ringing the bells upstairs to signal. We were thrilled! Hubby didn't think it would work and was shocked when he started ringing the downstairs bell almost immediately.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts