Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we had our 5 year exam, shots, etc today. All was good except the Vet said she has slight cataracts in both eyes. He wants us to take her to the Ophthalmologist for an exam, establish a baseline on the cataracts, etc. He said at this point he does not think she needs surgery, etc, just want to get a baseline for the future.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Good luck at the doctors. I would be interested in knowing what they do to establish this baseline if you don't mind sharing with us. I hope they are not too bad. How old is Belle? thanks! K

·
3 goldens
11,789 Posts
When we had Honey in for her kennel cough nose drops and nail trim couple a od fays ago wwere talking to a lady who had taken her pekipoo to san antonio for catarat surgery.

Hope all goes well and surgeryis never needed.

Reactions: Belle's Mom

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the good wishes. Our vet did not seem too worried so I am hopeful with that.....but he may have also been that way as he knows I am a worrier about my girl.

Bells just turned 5 years old in August. I have no issue at all sharing what they do to establish the baseline.

Anne - thanks for the info....our vet recommended a group and was going to fax them info today and I think it may be the same group you used....I need to check.....

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Thanks for all the good wishes. Our vet did not seem too worried so I am hopeful with that.....but he may have also been that way as he knows I am a worrier about my girl.

Bells just turned 5 years old in August. I have no issue at all sharing what they do to establish the baseline.

Anne - thanks for the info....our vet recommended a group and was going to fax them info today and I think it may be the same group you used....I need to check.....
Let me know who they recommend....while I was waiting (and waiting and waiting) yesterday they kept on pawning off the calls from a few people I gather are not pleasant people--and they kept on putting those calls with this one doctor. :uhoh: sooooo, I wanna make sure they don't put you with her if it's the same group just in case she's bad news....;) I believe there is another group of ophthalmologists in Arlington and those are the only two I know of in the area.

They love Goldens at the clinic......

oh, and the parking lot medians....oh yuk...be prepared---we won't let Toby walk on them because of all the dog droppings on them. Yesterday some dog had vomited everywhere in the parking lot and hubby ended up carrying Toby in because we didn't want his paws contaminated. They really need to clean up those medians.:yuck::yuck:

·
Premium Member
16,405 Posts
I had a golden (Raleigh) who had harmless cataracts that never bothered him. Hoping this is the case for your girl!

Reactions: Belle's Mom

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ljilly28 - Thanks for the info, that is exactly what I am hoping and praying.

I plan to call on Monday AM to schedule an appt.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Ljilly28 - Thanks for the info, that is exactly what I am hoping and praying.

I plan to call on Monday AM to schedule an appt.
If you call when they open at 7:45 on Monday--we'll be waiting--I'll let you know if I hear anything on my end. :uhoh:;) Toby's bark is back so if you hear a loud dog barking in the background, you'll know we're in the waiting area. :uhoh: I hope you get to see one of the two doctors we've seen there.

Toby's congenital cataract was stable for 7 years and we monitored with annual check ups at the eye clinic--which is good because they test for every other eye disease when you go. You get a good idea of the dog's eye health and if something else pops up (like PU or glaucoma), you are on top of it. Most regular veterinarians don't have the training or the specialized equipment to see things when they first develop.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
oh, and the parking lot medians....oh yuk...be prepared---we won't let Toby walk on them because of all the dog droppings on them. Yesterday some dog had vomited everywhere in the parking lot and hubby ended up carrying Toby in because we didn't want his paws contaminated. They really need to clean up those medians.:yuck::yuck:
The one on Trinity Mills?
Every time we've been there, it was immaculate. The internal med group & surgeons send their staff back out to clean up after they take the dogs out for a break. We visited Ben on the weekend and it was the same routine.
I haven't been to the other practices there though.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
The one on Trinity Mills?
Every time we've been there, it was immaculate. The internal med group & surgeons send their staff back out to clean up after they take the dogs out for a break. We visited Ben on the weekend and it was the same routine.
I haven't been to the other practices there though.
Yep, the same one--it's always bad (in the front, closest to the tollroad). Yesterday some poor dog lost his cookies from the mouth and the rear end and from what I can speculate-his owner dragged him across the parking lot to the car--it was everywhere! I've never been there when there hasn't been crap all over the place. We usually head over to the far reaches along the sides because of it. I've been there at 7:30 in the morning too many times to count too!

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It is the facility on Trinity Mills. We went there once before for Belle's internal medicine exam and procedure when her IBD was diagnosed. That was about 4 years ago and we have not been there since. We found the Internal Med drs very good.....don't recall the status of the grounds as it has been so long.

I will definitely keep everyone posted on when the appt is, what they do to her, what we learn, etc......I have learned so much from others on this forum, it is only fair that I share my experiences for someone else's benefit also.

·
Registered
140 Posts
we had a Grey Hound that went blind. she was
fine in the house and yard. all of the funiture
had to stay in place. when we went hiking in the woods
our Shepherd would take her leash and lead her.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Appointment is scheduled for next Monday, Oct 10 at 2:45 PM
Shoot--we'll miss you by 3 hours--we're at 11 a.m. Otherwise we could commute together.

Oh, and I took several pictures of the crap in the medians and in the entry way that was there last Thursday! I'm not crazy--it's EVERYWHERE!!!! and I've got the proof!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
By the way, before I forget, if the doc diagnoses cataracts that are going to be monitored, she may also prescribe a daily eye drop, probably Neo/Poly/Dex drops. Take your pharmacy number with you (I think they ask it on the forms now) and ask her if you can fill it at your pharmacy because it's on the $4 month and $10 for 3 month plan on many of the pharmacies here and it's much cheaper than at most vet clinics.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
DH and I get our filled at the CVS by Picassos. Is there a WalMart around here you use that is cheap or think the CVS will be fine?

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
DH and I get our filled at the CVS by Picassos. Is there a WalMart around here you use that is cheap or think the CVS will be fine?
CVS should be fine. You can probably find their $4 and $10 lists online to check in advance.

I get Toby's meds filled at Sams on McCree--I'm a Walmart-o-phobic, especially the one on Forest Lane.:uhoh:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts