Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got Bella, a gorgeous, yet very strong willed, determined 8 week old golden last week.... we gave in and allowed her to sleep in her dog bed in our bedroom for the first two nights but since then we have been trying very hard to get her to sleep in her bed downstairs.... its not been a success :-( she has managed to knock down the barriers leading upstairs and refuses to stay in her bed as she wants to be upstairs with us (which we dont want to encourage). She has now taken to barking to get her own way so we have ended up sitting on the stairs, night after night, trying to get her to shut up and go back to her bed.... last night was the worst yet - she hasnt seemed to grasp that she is to sleep downstairs!! Any advice welcome..... (shes very good at going outside to do her business so no other issues other than the sleep depreviation we are both experiencing!

muchas gracias

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
If you invest in a nice secure crate( order from Petedge.com), just totally ignore her until she's quiet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bella

many thanks jill but shes too big for the crates that are sold down here in the pet shops in southern spain - shes a big girl already!!

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
I slept next to Bailey's crate for the first couple of weeks. I had her upstairs in the dining room and I slept on the couch. She was quiet for the most part and knew I was near her. I moved back into my bedroom and there was no problems. Now that Bailey is older and fully potty trained she sleeps where ever she wants. Good luck. The first few weeks are rough.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Dogs are pack animals and they do not like being left alone, especially at night.
I started Piper in a crate, in my room with the crate gate closed on it at first, (to ensure there would be no night time "accidents").
Within a month it was just a child gate at the doorway with the crate gate open.....and then finally, roam of the house.
She has a bell on the kitchen door she hits if she needs to go out during the night.
Piper had a choice of if she wanted the crate or the bottom of the bed.....It's usually the bottom of the bed now. And when she senses I have woken up, it's the thump thump thump of her tail saying good morning.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts