Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I read that people here buy bells that your dogs learn to ring to go out to potty. So I'm thinking that's a novel idea and as a big aside, my Max already has taken to touching his nose to the back door knob. Handy!!

So my tip? here is SLEIGH BELLS!! That's right! The leather strap with the bells down it that hangs on your door knob make a great and LOUD ringing sound! With Christmas coming, these are easy to find.

So I've been letting Max out every time he nudges them. I think he gets the idea. I had to close him in the kitchen when my son and I were wrapping some presents in the living room. He would sit at the door way behind the fence just looking at us. Then he'd go ring the bells and come back and sit. Leif let's him out. Max comes in. Same thing. Max rings the bells. I say No, Max. He sits and whines at us. Then he goes and rings them a bit longer. Sit. Longer ringing still. Sit. Long ringing and he comes with the bells in his mouth and sits.

Well...so I think it's going good...but not the best. However they are super loud and work great!!!! :D

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Best of luck! I have not personally used the bells. My aunt used them for their puppy last year, it took some time but it did work! It is tricky when they hit them just for your attention! lol

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
I think the bell ringing is a great idea! I am very lucky to have a pup who tells me she's gotta to go outside. Bailey will whine when she needs to pee and barks/growls at the door when she needs to poo.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts