Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 7 year old FS Golden is acting a little strange lately. She is restless and is looking for hiding places, such as as my master bathroom. She never went in there before and she's been living in this house for almost 6 years.

A few days ago, we had the major snow storm, and we had transformers popping throughout the neighborhood. some sounding like firecrackers. Then we had 15 power surges in our house within a 24 hour period. During each 5 to 10 second surge, there were loud screeching noises from some of the electrical appliances as they shut down or re-started, and that really spooked her a lot. We haven't had these issues for the past 36 hours, but she is still cowering around, pacing around with her tail between her legs, with some panting. It gets worse at nighttime.

Do you think this behavior is due to the stress she had during the recent storm events with anticipatory anxiousnesses of more sounds and surges? She looks around with a little puzzling and scared look at times. Or is it something I should monitor and observe for a while? Or is vet visit in order at this time?

Her appetite is still very good and she is energetic during the day, but is restricted by the 22" of snow on the ground. She does not awaken me at night. She is 30 pounds overweight, and has some fatty deposits on her neck and groin, but the vet said those lumps were not problems.

Dennis v.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
It is very likely that the power surges traumatized the poor girl. She must have felt the power surges as well as hear the noises. Hiding out in the bathroom, where there are grounded porcelain fixtures, is common in dogs who are afraid of thunderstorms. It is theorized that they feel the excess electricity in the air and seek areas that dampen the electricity.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I agree that the storm has caused some serious anxiety. Be careful not to try to calm her when she is scared. Act calm and even do some training with treats.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I am pretty sure that the power surges and transformers blowing have spooked her. You can pick up some melatonin and give that to her for the next couple of days until she settle down and realizes that there won't be anymore "explosions".

·
Registered
120 Posts
I would go about things as usual for the next couple of days and hopefully she calms down by then unless there's more disruptions. Unless there is some obvious health related concern or she continues to stay anxious for longer then you think need be, I would just leave her be until things get back to normal. Good luck with the snow and power!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts