Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long post warning!

I just posted an introduction, although I have been lurking for a while. As I said in my intro, I had debated between a couple of breeds for my next dog, but recent events convinced me that my heart is settled on a golden. Earlier this year, I was hit by a drunk driver, and while I was in a rehabilitation hospital, I spent some time with golden retriever service dogs.

I will not be ready for a puppy until at least early fall, but I want to do my homework. I will be looking for a breeder in the South East--the closer to Florida, the better. My primary requirement is that the parents have calmer, more laid back temperaments, as I definitely want to train him as a therapy dog. I may not be able to teach any more, but I can still help kids! I may train him as a service dog, as well, depending on how things go. I know nothing guarantees a puppy's temperament, but the parents are indicator of what the pup will probably become. I prefer the stockier type with blocky heads, but appearance is not as important as temperament and health.

As much as I hate to admit it, the cost will be a factor. When I was still teaching and looking for a breeder, the cost wasn't much of an issue. But now that I will be filing for disability, I have to be a bit more budget minded. Please don't misunderstand. I do not expect a cheap puppy, but I would like to be as close to a thousand as possible.

I am an experienced dog owner and look forward to raising a puppy again!

I will contact the breeder clubs in my area and in Atlanta, but if anyone has any specific suggestions or knows of a breeder who might be able to help, I would appreciate it!

·
Kristy
10,430 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I'm so sorry that you've had such a difficult journey. I hope you continue to heal.

Good for you on having the common sense to spend a good deal of time researching your puppy. I think if you are very up front with a good breeder about your lifestyle, expectations and any physical limitations you have (young Goldens need daily physical exercise to be happy and to make good companions - a walk around the block isn't enough) you should be able to find your puppy. I will say that you may need to bump up your expectation of cost to closer to $1200-1500 since you are going to need someone who really knows their dogs/lines to help choose a puppy with focus and trainability.

The puppy contact people for Atlanta GRC will be able to help. YOu could also try Mid-Florida GRC Mid Florida Golden Retriever Club

Best of luck with your search. And it is not too early to be looking for a fall puppy now, in fact you may end up waiting till winter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I know I will probably have to go up from a thousand. I just want to stay as close as possible. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. I am here to learn. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts