Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was informed by our breeder that she had made a mistake and will no longer have a male puppy for our family. We've been waiting on this litter since January. And so now we are beginning the search again.

We lost our 13 year old golden last August. He was simply the best dog ever! Boy, did we luck out with him because we found him through the classified ads and adopted him same day without any certifications. We did meet both parents, so we aren't totally crazy, but did luck out as he never had health issues up to the last year or so of his life. He was a handsome, healthy boy and even became a certified therapy dog.

I happened on to this forum because one of the breeders I was interested in was discussed and several red flags were raised.

I'm looking for breeder recommendations. We are in northern VA and willing to travel up to 4 hours in any direction. We are looking for a family dog and would possible love to train him as a therapy dog.

·
Kristy
10,013 Posts
No matter how you are referred, you need to check clearances on the parents of the litter you are interested in. Ask the breeder specific questions about how and where the puppies are raised for the full 8 weeks, how are they socialized etc. Ask questions about why the sire of the litter was chosen, what the breeder is hoping to produce with her puppies and why she is breeding the litter. Is she hoping to keep one for showing etc.? Ask how many litters are being raised at once. Multiple litters are a lot of extra work on the breeder and the puppies may not get as much individual attention and handling if the breeder is too busy cleaning up after them.

Have you contacted the clubs in your region? I suggest being open to travel a greater distance than four hours if you're on any kind of a time frame. Good breeders generally have wait lists. Anyone who you get a good feeling about, ask them for referrals to other breeders they think highly of. Sometimes they know of someone who has a male dog who is being bred and that can be a good way to find a nice litter. Check GRCA.org for the regional puppy referral people in your area.

https://www.grca.org/find-a-golden/

Litters - Delmarva Golden Retrievers

:: Captivate Goldens ::

Bearabella Golden Retrievers

Golden Retriever Breeders Virginia - ELDORADO GOLDEN RETRIEVERS - Golden Retriever Puppies Virginia

1 - 2 of 2 Posts