Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Like all of us.... I am beyond in love with my Golden. Charlie is my best friend and I would do anything for him without hesitation. Though he is only 4 &1/2 years old.... not a day goes by that I push the thought of life without him down down down into my gut. I just can't immagine that day that we all know must come. It's a part of life. Anyway... I made a video about it last night and wanted to share it with you. Please levae a comment and let me know your thoughts on this subject. Thanks.

here is the link

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know the feeling. Every birthday is a blessing and a little bit of heartbreak. Like you, I focus on the wonderful time we have now...every day. You've made a beautiful and loving tribute to your Charlie. :smooch:
Thank you for your kind thoughts and for watching. I have never been this ....... wrapped up over any pet. I mean.... its's soooo bad that my eyes are all teared up just reading these responses and Charlie is fine! I fear the day. I just love him sooooooo much

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
My Flora is only 2.5 years old and occasionally I stop and think, "It's going to be so hard when she's not a part of my life anymore."

Life comes and goes, so you have to live in the moment! I try to cherish every day with my dog. I can tell you do. :) That's a very sweet video.

·
War Eagle!
312 Posts
I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Until the day comes that I have to make that dreaded decision, I'll take a lesson from my pup...live for today because worrying about tomorrow makes no sense. :)

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My Flora is only 2.5 years old and occasionally I stop and think, "It's going to be so hard when she's not a part of my life anymore."

Life comes and goes, so you have to live in the moment! I try to cherish every day with my dog. I can tell you do. :) That's a very sweet video.

Wow! What a great message and your Flora is sooooo sweet! She is lucky to have you :) It's strange... I have been a paratrooper and a police officer and fully understand death.... being around it so much. But my love for Charlie surprises and confuses me. i am never going to be ready for a day without him. It's scary :(

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Until the day comes that I have to make that dreaded decision, I'll take a lesson from my pup...live for today because worrying about tomorrow makes no sense. :)
You have mastered the best way of thinking regarding this topic. i will keep trying to get to where you are at. Thanks for your message :)

·
Super Moderator Leader
53,471 Posts
Great video and celebration of your boy Charlie. He's beautiful!

Life is too short, too many of us members know that all too well. I am one of them- I lost my golden boy in Feb., he was almost 15.5 and had been with us since he was 8 weeks old. A day doesn't go by that we don't think about him, miss him, and wish he was still with us. We're just now starting to get to the point where we can smile when we talk about him.

I have a girl named Roxy and a boy named Remy, their zest for life is amazing, they wake each morning in a great mood, happy for another day and ready to begin the adventures of the day. Just one of the many lessons we humans should learn from them.

·
War Eagle!
312 Posts
You have mastered the best way of thinking regarding this topic. i will keep trying to get to where you are at. Thanks for your message :)
I'm not saying it's easy to do, but when Isabel and I are playing, goofing around, being couch buddies there's just no thought to tomorrow...only the next game/adventure.

Thanks for your service. If I may, which Airborne unit? My grandfather was with the 82nd when it transitioned from straight leg to airborne.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great video and celebration of your boy Charlie. He's beautiful!

Life is too short, too many of us members know that all too well. I am one of them- I lost my golden boy in Feb., he was almost 15.5 and had been with us since he was 8 weeks old. A day doesn't go by that we don't think about him, miss him, and wish he was still with us. We're just now starting to get to the point where we can smile when we talk about him.

I have a girl named Roxy and a boy named Remy, their zest for life is amazing, they wake each morning in a great mood, happy for another day and ready to begin the adventures of the day. Just one of the many lessons we humans should learn from them.
Well I just can't express how sad that I am over your loss. I will be there some sad say.... as we all will. But as you know.... your Golden Boy was sooooo very lucky to have had you and your family as his. never forget that had you not had him... he would have been taken by somone else and that is scary!! As we speak there are countless "Charlie's" in backyards around the world.... left alone and abused. Thank God we have ours or had the chance to have ours if even for a while.

Thank you again for watching Charlie's video and for your kind words. :)

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not saying it's easy to do, but when Isabel and I are playing, goofing around, being couch buddies there's just no thought to tomorrow...only the next game/adventure.

Thanks for your service. If I may, which Airborne unit? My grandfather was with the 82nd when it transitioned from straight leg to airborne.
I hear you and your words are good ones on this subject :) I think that there is a happy middle area.... one where we appreciate every moment without being obsessed with what will come. In other words.... to NOT take for granted the many daily smiles that we are given by our golden friends.... or any pet for that matter :) I suppose, I could make the same video with a message regarding humans as well :)

Thanks for your kind words and regarding the Unit I was with.... there were a few. As you may know, the Army transfers folks around from time to time.

I was with the 82nd for a very brief time when i first arrived at Ft. Bragg N.C. After a few months, I transfered to the 18th Airborne corps........ still based out of Bragg. I enjoyed my time there most of all. Later, I went to a couple of ADA units in Europe ....... ETS in 84 and completed a career with the LAPD. No regrets :) I am in Virginia now and except for the heat in summer.... LOVE it!

Did not mean to turn it into a book hahaha. Thanks again and stay safe!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Thank you for the beautiful post. We raised and loved three Goldens and watched each one mature, grow old, and pass on. Now we have Nugget and at 10 months we are rejoicing in his youthful spirit and love for everyone whom he meets.

I can't take enough pictures of him or cuddle him enough!

·
Super Moderator Leader
53,471 Posts
Well I just can't express how sad that I am over your loss. I will be there some sad say.... as we all will. But as you know.... your Golden Boy was sooooo very lucky to have had you and your family as his. never forget that had you not had him... he would have been taken by somone else and that is scary!! As we speak there are countless "Charlie's" in backyards around the world.... left alone and abused. Thank God we have ours or had the chance to have ours if even for a while.

Thank you again for watching Charlie's video and for your kind words. :)
Thank you, it is by far the hardest thing I've ever had to do saying good bye to one of my beloved dogs. They meant the world to us and made our lives and us so much better because of them being in it.

I know too well about the animals in need-I use to help one of the Golden Rescues here in NC with Intakes and several other areas such as shelter pulls. The Rescue closed down in Jan. of this year. My Roxy was adopted through this group-she is a former puppy mill mom that had been abused and was turned into a shelter by the Owner. The Rescue pulled her out of that shelter, took her into their program and got her healthy-she had a long journey to get where she is today.

I also have Remy who I adopted through my County H.S. in March-what a gem he is, we were so very lucky to find him.

Thanks again for posting your great video.

·
Hudsen, born 8-23-09
269 Posts
Such a wonderful video. Your Charlie is gorgeous! I had tears streaming down my face the whole time. I, too, can't imagine what that sad day will be like. I try to spend every single day making more fun memories with my best buddy. I take pics of him ALL the time and give him lots of hugs and kisses every day. When thoughts of losing him enter my mind, I do my best to push them aside and focus on all of the fun adventures we still have to accomplish together.

·
Super Moderator Leader
53,471 Posts
Such a wonderful video. Your Charlie is gorgeous! I had tears streaming down my face the whole time. I, too, can't imagine what that sad day will be like. I try to spend every single day making more fun memories with my best buddy. I take pics of him ALL the time and give him lots of hugs and kisses every day. When thoughts of losing him enter my mind, I do my best to push them aside and focus on all of the fun adventures we still have to accomplish together.
Try not to dwell on it, no matter how prepared you think you are, you're never prepared enough, at least that has been my experiences. My bridge boy had basically been in hospice care the entire last year with us, we knew the day was coming and when it came, it wasn't any easier. He had a long happy life with us and we are grateful for all those years.

Make the most of each day you have with them and enjoy life to the fullest.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.