Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I may have groomed her up too early. The pic on left is after. Her ears look so small now ? I will definitely have to learn to do all of this as we dont really have any Golden groomers here. Maybe I am just sad she is losing her puppy look .
Jules

Attachments

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,843 Posts
I agree, the first thing I do is start behind the ear and take all the fluff out. Some like the fluff though, to me it looks messy. I like a nice, neat look, not like a lab though.

Overall I think it looks great and her feet look good too. Did you do those yet?

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Did you use scissors or thinning shears? Rukie needs work on his ears but I hate to mess with them. My two attempts at cutting human kids hair resulted in a cut ear and an emergency trip to an expert.:surprise:

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,843 Posts
Did you use scissors or thinning shears? Rukie needs work on his ears but I hate to mess with them. My two attempts at cutting human kids hair resulted in a cut ear and an emergency trip to an expert.:surprise:
Haha! Nice.

It's pretty easy just using thinning shears, it's all I use for ears.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Eric. Yes, her feet were a challenge. We have handled them daily since we got her but she really is sensitive with her feet. I guess I understand as I am too! Thanks for your feedback also.

Cwag: I used thinning. I accidentally cut my sons ear also when he was about 5. I felt so bad. I realized my scissors were way too long!

Maggie has been so patient with me. I am trying to do just short sessions with her. Luckily, the ears and feet are all I am doing right now. Still trying to get a dryer. I am finding shipping to be a problem and they want about ½ what the dryer costs! For now, towel drying and my hair dryer :)

Jules

·
Kate
21,054 Posts
Nice job. :)

If anything - I would not trim so tightly on the front of the ear (you want to clean that up, but prefer to leave a softer edge) and I'd use a stripping knife to smooth out the fluff on the ear, maybe more thinning shears behind (tough to tell from the picture).

Feet look fine.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice job. :)

If anything - I would not trim so tightly on the front of the ear (you want to clean that up, but prefer to leave a softer edge) and I'd use a stripping knife to smooth out the fluff on the ear, maybe more thinning shears behind (tough to tell from the picture).

Feet look fine.
Thank you Kate for your insights. I have a Mars stripping knife, fine, on order right now.

Jules

1 - 9 of 9 Posts