Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Missed ya...... sorry that you are being forced to go through this. All I can say, from friend's experiences, is GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING.... make sure you contact a lawyer and get it all in writing. Also.. check any insurance, pension plans, 401 k's etc. to make sure that you don't have him as a beneficiary. Make sure the house is in your name, the dogs in your name, etc. What starts out relatively nice, might turn out blood-thirsty because of the newer lesser model's greed. if she is amoral enough to break up the relationship, who knows what she will demand once she gets over here. Get a good s.o.b. of a lawyer.

beth, moose and angel

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thank you ladies.
They say that living well is the best revenge. I plan to do that.
And I did speak to a lawyer and asked him to be prepared to be a rabid wolverine for me.

·
Hi, I'm Wendee
1,733 Posts
Missed ya...... sorry that you are being forced to go through this. All I can say, from friend's experiences, is GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING.... make sure you contact a lawyer and get it all in writing. Also.. check any insurance, pension plans, 401 k's etc. to make sure that you don't have him as a beneficiary. Make sure the house is in your name, the dogs in your name, etc. What starts out relatively nice, might turn out blood-thirsty because of the newer lesser model's greed. if she is amoral enough to break up the relationship, who knows what she will demand once she gets over here. Get a good s.o.b. of a lawyer.

beth, moose and angel
That is very good advice. I knew a woman once whose husband told her he was leaving her for a woman he worked with and the next day she went to use her debit card and nothing was in her account. He took all the money out of their savings and checking before he told her. She had to borrow money from her parents to pay the bills until her lawyer could get her some of the money back. The worst thing was she had the kids to take care of and he didn't even care.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Sorry this has all happened...what a d-bag! I do, however, LOVE your attitude! You're obviously a strong person to be handling it this well, this quickly! You have my utmost respect and admiration.

·
Missing my Boys...
3,980 Posts

beth, moose and angel
So TRUE, my daughter is still having major problems with her soon to be X, she didn't listen to her parents about GET IT IN WRITING.............and now he is running the show!

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Sorry you are going through some tough times. Glad you have Max and Billy. They will help comfort you. I am glad to see you have a lawyer. When the doctor I worked for was with his wife, she took all of their money out of the accounts and lawyers said he could not get any of it back. Don't let anything like that happen to you. Good luck with everything!!!

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thank you everyone. Your words have all been amazing. I'm long past the crying stage...I'm firmly into self protection and protection of my animals and my assets mode now.
The day after the made his announcement I changed my life insurance and put my son's name, changed my will, changed my retirement forms. I also changed my will and named my oldest son the administrator.
I changed my electronic deposit for my paycheck. I always had my credit cards in my name alone. The truck has always been in my name and my car has always been in my name. I now have the joint account we used to have where I keep minimal money to pay things that are automatically paid through that account such as automatic shipment for the animals' food, MSN, my gym, etc. Only $300 per pay period goes into that. I'll deal with transferring things over in due time. The bulk of my paycheck goes split into my own checking and savings and a completely separate account where $175 goes every paycheck and I never even touch. That's the pet fund, there's close to $5K in there for pet emergencies. I had more in there but Cassie's and Dru's final vet bills ate a pretty large amount.
I've always run the household. The only thing he pays is the car insurance. I can take over that fairly easily.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Sorry about what happened but it sounds like you have yourself and the pups covered. He doesnt deserve you and in time will probably realize that. Good luck and glad that you are back with the pups doing so well.

You got the best prize, your happiness and the pups.

·
Chester's Mommy
2,688 Posts
I'm so sorry you're going through this but it sounds like you're doing ok. I'm so glad you're keeping the dogs. I'm sure karma will come around.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts