Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Michelle, M & M's mommy
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ever since we got Molly I've put her to bed the same way every night. She goes out for a last potty (even if she just went 20 minutes before, she now walks to the back door when we say it's time for bed, LOL), when she comes back in we say "Molly go night night" and she walks over to her crate and gets in. Then I tuck one of her stuffed animals in with her and cover her with her blankie, smooch on her nose a bit (telling her what a wonderful and lovely girl she is) and then close the crate.

When people witness this they always laugh at me. Am I the only one who tucks their baby in at night?

·
Debbie
644 Posts
I usually go into my bedroom around 8:30 or 9 and read. Riley will join me on the bed for 1/2 - 1 hour then she jumps down to keep my husband company. Between 10 and 10:30 every night she comes up to my husband and sits. He asks her what she wants. She prances over the the fridge where we keep her frozen cream cheese kong and sits again. He takes it out and then she walks over to her crate, goes in and waits for her kong. This is her routine every night like clockwork.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have a routine with Cody also. After the last potty trip outside I tell him time for bed and we walk over to the crate, he gets a little treat and a kiss on the head and then he goes in the crate. My kids think its hilarious.

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
I usually go into my bedroom around 8:30 or 9 and read. Riley will join me on the bed for 1/2 - 1 hour then she jumps down to keep my husband company. Between 10 and 10:30 every night she comes up to my husband and sits. He asks her what she wants. She prances over the the fridge where we keep her frozen cream cheese kong and sits again. He takes it out and then she walks over to her crate, goes in and waits for her kong. This is her routine every night like clockwork.

We do the bedtime kongs too! One time we almost forgot... but they so kindly reminded us. LOL.

Anyway. I love falling asleep to the sounds of them slurping in the next room. LOL!!

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Sierra has 2 responses to the word "bed", any time during the day, evening whatever, I tell her "bed" and she heads for her dog bed.
After she goes potty about 9:30PM we come in and I say "bed", she heads right for the bedroom!
She lays on the floor until I come to bed, then she stands by the bed until I invite her up to snuggle awhile.
Some nights she sleeps in bed all night, otherwise I think she gets too hot, and jumps back down to the floor to sleep.
Karen

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
When mine were pups and slept in the crate we had bedtime snacks and routine. Now we all just go to bed! DH does take them out before bed for their last retrieves and potty time.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
I let them all out, make sure the GSD puppy pees, and then we go to bed. I sit on the laptop and play around, and maybe read a bit. They sleep in my bed.

My son goes to bed at 7 or so, and I generally go back to the bedroom and chill and do my thing some time around 8 or so. If I am up later than normal, I take the puppy out one more time. In the morning, I gate the hall leading to the rest of the house (my bedroom is in back, and the mudroom/game room and the back door are right next to it) and they all swarm out and pee, come back in, eat, and then go back out and potty. Then it's either dog park or hang out, or (rarely) put up (some crated, some loose in the bedroom) if I go somewhere dogless.

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
Yepper....now that we have 2 dogs, I let Murphy in the backyard for his last potty break then it's upstairs with a treat and a kiss on his puppy head and into his crate. He knows what bedtime is for sure. Chester is a Daddy's boy and DH gives him his last walk around the court and they watch the late news together then they come upstairs ( Murphy and I are asleep by this time and most nights don't even hear them come to bed).

·
Susan
1,187 Posts
When Jamie and Rascal see me heading for the bedroom they go rushing past me and stand outside the closet where I keep the box of biscuits. They each get 1/2 a biscuit. Then when my husband comes up he gives them each another 1/2 biscuit. Sometimes Jamie gets in bed with me until he hears Steve on the stairs; Steve makes the dogs get on their beds before he gives them their biscuits. However they frequently switch beds later. They both have Costco beds but I got Rascal the "egg crate" type because she is 13 years old. I guess she likes the regular bed better.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Since Sam hasn't slept in a crate since he was 4 months old, there is no routine. I go to bed and when I do he lays down on his bed (thats right next to mine) and goes to sleep when I do. Then on the weekend mornings he wakes me up, and more than a few times its been with a paw to the balls.

·
Registered
731 Posts
My dog Tessa has a routine for bed time and I tuck her in. Every night I usually come to my bedroom at about 8:00 and finish some work up or just cuddle with Tessa or do stuff on the internet. That whole time Tessa is langin on the end of my bed putting herself to sleep my licking my bedding or her paws (so wierd, it's one of her ticks). And then by about 9 or 10 lights are out and I'm asleep and she falls asleep at about 8:30-9:00.

·
Registered
253 Posts
My golden drives me nuts when it's time for bed! He starts whining around 8 pm until I go in the bedroom and lay down with him. After he falls asleep I'll sneak out of bed and watch tv or go on the web for a bit, then sneak back in bed and in the morning he thinks I was with him the whole night :)

·
Tucker - Tanner - Cooper
1,624 Posts
at our house it's the words night-night. when you say that both boys (Tanner & Cooper) along with two cats (Darby & Dory) head for the bedroom, yup we all go to bed together as a family - yup even the kitties ! love it !

·
Lucy & Dory's Mom
2,760 Posts
I tell the girls that it's time to go potty, then when we get in the house I tell them to get in bed. Lucy will run into our bedroom and take whatever spot she wants. Dory will follow, and I'll put her in bed. Then I'll go take out my contacts, wash my face, brush my teeth, and change clothes. I usually read or play on the computer while Lucy watches either the news of Chelsea Lately with her basketball in her mouth, and Dory sleeps. Sometime Bart joins us, sometimes he's a later coming downstairs. Usually he has to make Lucy get out of his spot in the bed.

·
Registered
401 Posts
We use night-night at our house as well. The Goldens take off running and jump in bed; the winner gets the foot of my side. Loser sleeps between me and my husband. They aren't big into blankets, but the Basset gets a kiss on the head, a blanket snuggled around her, and told what a good girl she is. The Goldens don't care about talking because half the time their eyes are shut by the time I brush my teeth.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Bro goes out one last time...gets a Dentastix on the way in (he would do ANYTHING for a Dentastix)....then i usually chase him up to bed. He has to grab or steal something before he can go upstairs. lol he sees it as a bit of a game. Then he jumps straight up on my side of the bed....so predictable!!!

·
Hudson's girl
417 Posts
Sure. I tuck Hudson in every night. He doesn't sleep in his crate anymore but does sleep in our room. I take him out for the last time of the day, we go in the bedroom and after he settles down a bit he lays in his favorite spot. He will then go "mmmmmmmmmm" at me. I get down on the floor, he lays his head down so I can kiss him about 97 times and he goes to sleep. My husband says he has me trained very well:p:. He does jump on the bed in the middle of the night and I wake up every morning shivering with a broken back and every extremity is asleep from lack of blood flow but my pup is happy.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Our puppies are 7 months & still sleep in the play yard "crate" (which we put an egg crate and quilts on top of carpet) in our room...about 9:30-10 we take them out to potty then say night-night & they walk right into the pen & we close the door. I lean over & pet them & tell them how wonderful they are & they snuggle down for the night! Our 11 1/2 yr old lab goes to her egg crate & quilts on the floor on the other side of the room at the same time.

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
We also have a bedtime routine...I say its time to go potty...they run to the door...go potty and come back inside for their treat, then I say time for sleep and the run upstairs, Misty jumps onto the bed, Riley get comfy on her dog bed and I get ready for bed. I turn the lights off and give them each one more treat...then its time to go to sleep.....

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I always sleep late. Around 11h-12h. And Molly knows when it's time! I go to the bathroom to brush my teeth and she lies down by the door and wait. Then I take her outside for potty and after that she runs at the stairs and wait for me with her two front paws on the first step. Then I go before her and say 'Dodo' Which kinda means 'Sleep' in french. Then she follows me to my room and lies down on her futon (Spoiled isn't she? :p:) And I go to my bed. I watch T.V for a little while then turn it off and it's time to sleep! :) That's our routine!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts