Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if crate size would be a reliable measurement for the bed size. I asked the breeder what sized crate I should get for my puppy, and she said the 36" would be great- 42" would be overkill for her.

Does this mean that a 36" bed would be enough? I've been looking for beds online... was thinking of this one! Harvey Medium Buff Reversible Dog Bed | Overstock.com

I don't want to spend too much on her first bed- knowing puppies, there's a very good chance that I'll have to replace it in a couple of months! Does anyone have other suggestions for beds (under 60$)?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I would check your local stores and once it's older you can go wild on the bed.

Just find a nice comfy bed at walmart and I'm sure you could easily find something.

·
Registered
13,284 Posts
If you just want a bed for her puppyhood, 36" is probably enough. But once she's full grown, and especially if she likes to stretch out to sleep, you might find you want to get her a 42".

·
Registered
241 Posts
We bought the 42" so we don't have to replace it when Jax is bigger. WE also didn't block any of the crate off because he is fine in it and loves to stretch out. As for the bed we put inside, we bought one big enough only to cover half of the crate size. My reasoning for this was I didn't know if he would prefer a soft area or the hard bottom of the crate so I let him decide. I'm so happy I did this because our Jax just LOVES being under things so he often lays on the bottom of the crate but has his plush bed ontop of him. Every so often you will see him bring his head up and over as a pillow.
We also have a big pillow for him for outside and in the living room. This is the size of the crate so I tested it out by putting it inside the crate and he just hated it. He pulled it back out so I put his original bed back and he was fine.
They are all different but for $14 I tried the small bed and if it didn't work out I would have adjusted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts